1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Considering release trigger

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Jim Bradbury, Jun 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jim Bradbury

Jim Bradbury Member

I started flinching about 6 months ago. For some reason every now and then I will flinch. It has gotten to the point that it happens anywhere from three to eight or nine times per hundred targets. Yesterday at our gun club PITA shoot. Greg who works at Sportco let me try his Lujtic with a release trigger. Even though I only shot one box of shells I never flinched. Any recommendations on who to get a release trigger for a Browning XT, or does anyone have a used XT release trigger they are interested in selling?
    Thansk,
    Jim Bradbury

2. hunter44

hunter44 Well-Known Member

I also had Phil do a release last fall......excellent results on my XT unsingle.
    I would recommend Phil for your release.

3. Jim Bradbury

Jim Bradbury Member

P3AT or Hunter44,
    Do either of you have Phils contact information? Where is he located?
    Thanks,
    Jim B.

4. Gapper

Gapper TS Member

Don't do it.

5. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Don't do it! Just continue flinching until you get so frustated you quit. That'll show 'em.

Darrell Spears makes a good one-do it!!

6. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Who is Gapper?? The new village idiot.

If you are this far along make the change. I don't think you will regret it.

Don

7. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

Spears isn't doing release triggers right now.

8. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

See above website. Phil has done several release triggers for me. He does great work at a reasonable price. Go for it. Ed

9. oleolliedawg

Spears is back!!

10. Two Dogs

Two Dogs Well-Known Member

It would be better to have a heavier trigger pull put in first and try that...

11. oleolliedawg

Heavier trigger, lighter trigger, middle finger, lighter loads, tightening up your finger on the trigger and a myriad of other "fixes" are only temporary. If you're one of the lucky ones who can release one successfully you're on your way to becoming a better shooter.

If not, learn to tie flies!!

12. slowdp

slowdp TS Member

Trust me - you can flinch with a release also! Maybe it is not a true flinch but I catch myself doing stupid things with the release - like lifting my head just before releasing and pushing the gun out just before releasing. These are flinches in reverse.

13. Two Dogs

Why is it that European shooters mostly use pull triggers, release triggers are banned when it comes to bunker or international shooting.

14. oleolliedawg

European shooters can't find the deodorant aisle in the supermarket either-doesn't mean they're right. One of my old country Irish shooters, who was forced into release after flinching, often goes back to the island. He now chuckles when he sees his fellow shooters walk off the post after a devastating flinch. The real cure is not available over there.

An occasional flinch with a release trigger-usually on left angles-is not devastating. Gripping your forend tighter can help with those. Sometimes too slow a release will cause flinching-just have it speeded up!!

15. Rastoff

Rastoff Active Member

Release triggers are banned in Bunker due to ignorance.

16. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Nothing better than a good pull trigger. One that is adjustable for weight of pull, creep and over travel. You known, the kind of trigger that comes on a good target rifle. Too bad shotgun shooters are in the stoneage when it comes to triggers. HMB

17. Hoosier Daddy

Hoosier Daddy TS Member

I shoot a release simply because my scores improved,not because of a flinch. I can pull or release without any problem and switch back and forth without mistakes.

18. Two Dogs

I can do both without a problem, I just tell my mind to be smarter than the trigger....Oh....and all north american bunker shooters are pull trigger...

19. Doug Mc

Doug Mc TS Member

Release triggers have their own set of problems ... you need to shoot one more than once to see if you can do so without problems ... if you do decide to switch make sure you convey to whoever does the work as to what type of trigger speed you want ... some of these triggers are so sensitive that you have to hang on to them with a death grip or they will go off as you are moving to the target ... to fast ... get one that is easier to manage ... if you have different guns with release triggers that other shooters will let you shoot a complete round with do so ... try these guns empty with a plug in the chamber ... set the trigger and very slowly ease off your finger pressure on the trigger ... you will be able to feel the differences in triggers as far as the speed of the release ... as far as I am concerned you have to have a trigger that is easy to manage or you will create another set of problems for yourself

20. ColtM1911A1

ColtM1911A1 Member

I bought a used Ljutic that had a release trigger. So, I just started shooting it that way and now wouldn't go back to a pull. They are simplicity at its best once activated. My vote would be tom try it; even those, like myself, that don't have a flinch use them with great success.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.