1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Considering a trip to the Grand....

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by renfrow25, Aug 1, 2013.

1. renfrow25

renfrow25 Member

I am thinking about making a trip south to the Grand this year just to check it out. When are all the vendors there and is it worth it to go if you don't plan on shooting?

2. V10

V10 Well-Known Member

Why are you not planning to shoot?

All the vendors should be there by next Friday (the 9th).

3. 1oldtimer

1oldtimer TS Member

Shoot an event just for the fun of it. You'll be glad you did.

Clyde

4. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Do not miss the chance to go. Shoot if you want but at least go. I have fond memories of going to the Grand in Vandalia and searching the vendor tents for guns. I lived close enough to go every day and miss it. It was a 150 mile drive and I went every day, every year from the 70's to the late 80's when I moved away

5. renfrow25

renfrow25 Member

I haven't been shooting trap long and just kinda feel like that big stage is a little out of my league right now. Was thinking of just checking everything out and looking for deals and supplies from the vendors.

6. perazziboy1

perazziboy1 TS Member

Best way to get over feeling like you cant/shouldn't compete there is to just sign up and shoot! I felt the same way, only way to get over it is to just do it. You'll make new friends on the squad you shoot with, and you can say you shot the grand!

7. dustyrcox

dustyrcox Member

I go a couple days each year and don't shoot and I enjoy! Going to shoot next year!

8. b12

b12 Well-Known Member

I go every year since the middle 90's. Shoot in the events just for the fun of it. Who knows, just may be my year. If not no one knows the difference. Bill

9. mx8dave

mx8dave Member

will be there Monday MX8Dave

10. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

If you like trapshooting, it is worth the trip even for a day or two...kinda like the trapshooting version of Woodstock. Shoot an event or two...play the Lewis - forget the options unless you are really feeling lucky...and, oh, take a big bag of money - "just in case..." Regards, Ed

11. Charlie Becknell

Charlie Becknell Well-Known Member

I go every year, I have not won anything YET, but I am planning on winning Clay Target Championship this year. It would coincide with my first 200.

I have eaten lots of ice cream at the Grand and I stayed at Holiday Inn Express once.

12. GBatch_25

GBatch_25 Active Member

The first year I went was 1998 in Vandalia. I did not shoot and just walked around. I remember it was unseasonably cool and rainy, so I bought a red John Storm jacket that I still have.

I've not missed a Grand since, only now I go to vendors AND shoot.

Gene in Illinois

13. oskerspap12

oskerspap12 Active Member

You have to go...........its an experience of a lifetime.
    Check out all,or should I say a bunch of vendors,then go shoot.
    Don't feel like you are out of your league.........all shooters are welcome.The young,men/women,short/tall,skinny/fat,and lots of deaf old guys.......we're all there.........,and having a blast.
    Above all enjoy your time there,and have a safe journey

Smoke'em all.........

D.P.Reynolds

14. renfrow25

renfrow25 Member

Thanks for all the encouragement. I have decided to make the trip on Friday since I have the day off work. I have been looking to get an adjustable butt-pad put on my 101 pigeon trap and will use that as an excuse to take a gun with me and maybe shoot. I had asked on another thread who to take it to and got a few answers so now its just the wait til Friday!

Chris

15. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

Take your gun along. They make it pretty easy to register and squad. You can drive right up to your bank. You won't regret it. Good luck.

Bob Falfa