1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Congressman Altmire (Democrat) on Healthcare

Discussion in 'Politics, Elections & Legislation' started by Barrelbulge(Fl), Apr 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) TS Supporters TS Supporters

Dear Mr. K,

Thank you for contacting me with your thoughts on health care reform legislation. I appreciate hearing from you and value your input.

Our health care system represents an ever-expanding share of America's budget. I ran for Congress with a primary goal of bringing down the cost of health care for individuals, families, and small businesses. The year-long debate on health care reform helped to shed light on the inefficiencies in the delivery of care, an area that I believe is essential to controlling costs in the long term. Unfortunately, the final bill did not adequately address this issue.

The final bill shifted around the costs of health care rather than improving the quality of the care or addressing the cost to consumers. The failure of the bill to enact real delivery system reform will likely lead to an increase in federal health care expenditures when compared to existing law - an estimated $390 billion over the next 10 years - according to the Congressional Budget Office. Medicare beneficiaries, particularly those who are enrolled in Medicare Advantage and who comprise a significant portion of my District, would experience dramatic premium increases through this legislation.

As a Representative of the Fourth District of Pennsylvania, it is my duty to give my constituents a voice in Washington. My office received an unprecedented number of contacts in the days and weeks leading up to the final vote. It was clear that the vast majority of you opposed this bill, and because of that opposition and my concerns with the legislation's true cost, I voted against the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (H.R. 3590) when it passed the House on March 21, 2009 by a vote of 219-212.

I understand that supporters of this bill may be disappointed in my vote. I take my role as Representative very seriously, and I believe that a vote in opposition to the health care bill was consistent with the views of the district I represent. It was also the correct vote based on the bill's impact on my constituents and the overall health care system. With this bill people will pay more, both as taxpayers and consumers of health care.

Please know that I will continue to work to implement true delivery system reforms and bring down the cost of health care while improving quality and increasing access to care.

Thank you again for taking the time to contact me. If I can be of further assistance to you on this or any other matter, please feel free to be in touch.

His opinion and He is a Democrat. Hooray for him.

Sincerely,

Jason Altmire
    Member of Congress

Please sign up for my e-newsletter at www.altmire.house.gov.

2. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

Congressman Altmire on Healthcare

Sure not like the reply I got from John Tierney in MA. To read his reply, you'd think I wrote him in support. Most of them, as my representative, could care less what we think. Oh well, keep fighting.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.