1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Congrats to Joe Kuhn/Kuhner - 100 Straight/Steel

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by spitter, Apr 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Congratulations to Joe Kuhn using his Kuhner, shooting 4 rounds of 25s last night for a 100 straight! Joe was the BIG DOG on the line.

Congratulations my friend,

Jay

2. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

I haven't seen any Kuhners. Where can you get them and what do they cost?
    That's not that new gun that sells for $ 8,100 is it?

3. Wolfman

Wolfman Member

Way to go Joe!

4. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

Thanks guys. It sure helps being in shape. Tried all last year to get this done and couldn't. Das Kuhner:

joekuhn_2008_030358.jpg

Approx costs: gun is $250, holosight is $400, SST870 stock adapter $250, AR stock $80, pad $40, fore-end and grip - I forget. Total is about $1100.

5. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Congratulations my friend!!

I'd say not bad shooting when the experts of TS fame said you'd have trouble EVER breaking a measly 25 with your high above the bore red-dot!!

Hap

6. joe kuhn

This one isn't quite that high, but yes, I was told I wouldn't break a single straight with that gun. The nice thing about the high red dot is you can see below the red circle right down to the top of the house. I hold even and focus just below the circle letting my peripheral vision pick up the target as it emerges. There's no barrel in the way! After getting my eye glass prescription correct, this works pretty well.

Here's another version I built and ended up selling to a nice guy in FL. Same basic configuration. Had to drill a couple of holes for the adj butt pad. DeVault's adj pad iron worked great, but had to be shaped on my grinder. That took some doing.

joekuhn_2008_030348.jpg

7. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Nice shooting Joe. Where and how do you zero that red dot? Do you pattern at 35 or 40 yards and put the dot there? Sorry about the questions, I've never used a red dot before. Thanks.

Wayne

8. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Congrats Joe, the gun you made for me is fun to shoot---its a great training aid, for converting from a one eye shooter to a two eyed shooter. also, the added weight helps with fitness--by the way no recoil even with 3 dram loads.

Phil Berkowitz

9. joe kuhn

Wayne. 12 big paces from the cardboard. I sight it in as a flat shooter. Dead flat. With the way I shoot the gun (see above) and the trigger speed, which is slow, a flat shooter works best. BTW, the pattern is about the size of the red circle at breaking distance. Happy coincidence.

10. joe kuhn

Hi Phil! Good to hear it all worked out for you. I've had one other shooter ask to shoot my gun repeatedly, but he decided to stick with conventional. I never thought of it as a training aid. Good thinking.

11. Bryce720

Bryce720 Active Member

Congrats Joe, awesome shooting.

Bryce

12. joe kuhn

Hey Bryce,

Hap always told me to do gun lifts through the winter. This winter I did much better by going to a Crossfit gym for 2 months prior to the start of league. I'm pretty thin but my strength is coming back and at 59 years old, it takes a while. Here's a warm up exercise with my wife and daughter. Daughter is very strong. Lifts way more than I.

I think the rowing machine has increased my back strength to the point where the Kuhner doesn't give me back aches anymore. I went to Dennis DeVault's one spring for a fitting and was in such poor shape it was embarrassing. Not this year. Pain just below my knee caps when going up steps is gone!

joekuhn_2008_0303168.jpg

13. rhymeswithorange

rhymeswithorange Member

I'm more surprised that you are 59 than that you shot 100 straight. Nice job!

14. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

Being physically fit also helps the brain. Good Job on both the shooting, and physical fitness.

15. GBatch_25

GBatch_25 Active Member

Nice shooting, Joe. Looking forward to seeing you this Spring.

Gene in Illinois

16. joe kuhn

You guys are great. It's going to be a fun year.

17. Scott Johnson

Scott Johnson Well-Known Member

Joe,
    You just have the bar in hand, you are suppose to put an equal amount of weight on each side, you must have forgotten. Daughter looks like she is very fit............Just joshing you. :) Scott

18. joe kuhn

No, didn't forget that, but I did tell someone I was 49 instead of 59 the other day.

19. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

And you shot steel shot. Whats your secret recipe?

20. joe kuhn

I use the PT1265 wad from Ballistic Products. You can get the recipes from them as I generally don't give out recipes. I will say that I use an ounce of #6 steel even though the wad is for 1-1/8 ounces, and Universal Clays. #6 steel has the same pellet energy as #7.5 in lead and it is allowed at our club. Nice load. I run it pretty slow in terms of speed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.