1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Congrats Gary, ATA Volunteer of the Year!

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by JBrooks, Aug 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

I just got back from Sparta where I had great fun and the privilege of seeing my friend and shooting buddy, Gary Bombalicki, receive the ATA Volunteer of the Year Award from Neil Winston. It was very well deserved. However, Gary acknowledged that he accepted it on behalf of every volunteer at every club all across the country that donates and invests their time so that we all have the opportunity to compete shooting registered targets. His personal contributions which led to his being selected can best be presented by the nomination which was submitted unbeknownst to him:

"I am pleased to take this opportunity to nominate Gary Bombalicki for Volunteer of the Year. Gary grew up in the trapshooting hotbed of Ohio in the 1970s. Because his dad was heavily involved in competitive Trapshooting and in fact served as the President of the Ohio Association, Gary had the opportunity to meet several of the icons of Trapshooting and attend several Grand Americans while learning the ropes of gun club operations.

Like the majority of young people involved in the sport, Gary had to take about 20 years off as he made his way in the world. However, he returned to his roots and rejoined the Trapshooting community about three years ago. While his talent and dedication to competitive shooting enabled him to earn his way to the 27 yard line within two years, his natural gregarious nature quickly established him as a well-liked and respected participant at registered shoots throughout Southern California.

He also joined the North Hollywood Sportsman's Club, a private trap and skeet club that owns and operates the Santa Clarita Clay Target Sports Park. His natural leadership capabilities were soon recognized by his election as Club Secretary for the 2007 calendar year. However, as events would turn, the original elected president resigned in February and the vice president who had taken his place resigned in August. Gary stepped into the breach and assumed the responsibilities of President in September.

In addition to his club leadership responsibilities, he had also volunteered to be the ATA shoot director, midyear. Because of his tireless promotion of the club at all the shoots which he attended, soon the North Hollywood shoots grew from 10 to 20 participants to 50 to 60 participants. Even with a late start, the club increased its registered targets from 19,700 in 2006 to 54,400 in target year 2007. This 176 % increase made North Hollywood by far the established club with the largest increase in targets thrown. Obviously, this is an impressive growth rate for a two trap club.

This momentum has carried forward and the club, by the end of June, will have more than doubled the 54,400 from last year. This growth has been aided by the fact that under Gary's leadership, the club completed a new trap field in October of 2007 and added its fourth trap field in March of 2008.

In December, Gary was elected to a full term as president for the calendar year 2008. In addition to the new trap fields mentioned above, the club has undertaken a significant improvement and ongoing construction program over the last 14 months. The property has been completely regraded to provide for the construction of up to two additional trap fields, making for a total of six, a small pistol range and a potential sporting clays course. The grading also has corrected some serious drainage problems and has created the basis for a complete lead management best practices program.

The physical improvements in the club, along with a Gary's tireless promotion, have also resulted in recruiting new members to enjoy the new facilities. The new facilities have also enabled the club to expand its membership shooting which, coupled with the ATA shoots, will generate over 15,000 rounds in 2008 resulting in the club being able to operate well into the black.

While Gary's leadership has been instrumental in the physical development of the club facilities and the membership growth, he has used his business expertise to restructure the club's financial operations and controls to ensure that the club will always operate in a financially responsible manner and have the financial reserves necessary to ensure the club's future survival.

His expertise in the nonprofit sector as a volunteer, particularly as chairman of the Mission College Foundation and his ability to recruit new club officers and directors has resulted in the club establishing various funds for the maintenance of the facilities and for the renewal of the various permits under which the club operates.

Gary's tireless contributions to the furtherance of ATA registered shooting in Southern California has also been acknowledged by the California Golden State Trapshooting Association with his appointment to its Board of Directors. There is no reason not to believe that his recognized and proven leadership capabilities will result in his assuming increasing responsibilities within that organization.

The foundation of ATA registered shooting lies within the willingness and the capability of local gun clubs to promote and conduct registered shoots. Gary's ability to not only strengthen his club through the substantial physical improvements to the facilities but to provide the leadership necessary to organize the volunteer staff required to run ATA shoots with 50-60 participants is a strong testament to the dedication and expertise of his volunteer capabilities.

The fact that he leads by example, whether it's cleaning the restrooms before a shoot, organizing volunteers, handling the pre-squad requests, or picking hulls and loading trap houses after all the competitors have gone home, inspires and encourages other members to invest their time in making the club and the ATA shoots successful.

In closing, I would like to suggest that you contact Eileen Williamson, our ATA delegate, Ray Brasser, secretary of our state association and Terry Bilbey of Redlands Shooting Park as they all have had the pleasure of working with Gary and can vouch for his effectiveness in promoting his club, providing leadership to his club and significantly increasing participation in ATA registered shooting.

I am confident that the ATA will be well served by pointing to Gary as a shining example of the type of volunteer that will inspire and encourage other members across the country to step up and make their contributions to our sport.

Thank you for your consideration."

2. Primedust

Primedust TS Member

Congratulations Gary,

We met the other night at the awards ceremony! I just want to say congratulations again! I know what it is to work hard at something you love. You are obviously dedicated to the sport of Trapshooting and promotion of your club. You deserve this honor. Was nice to see someone so excited about the award!

Mark Stevens,
    (co-coach of the year)

3. Bomber61

Bomber61 Member

Jim,

Thank you for the nice post, I appreciate your friendship and all your hard work at the club, this was team effort by all of us at the North Hollywood Sportsman's Club.

Mark, It was good to talk with you at the Grand, are you home already? Send me your e-mail address, would love to talk with you more.

Gary

4. Primedust

Primedust TS Member

Gary email is

Mark@Airclimatecontrol.com

5. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

WOW! We have a celebrity as leader of NHSC. Congratulations to Gary... a well deserved award... and he can cook [he will make some one a good husband]. Fred

6. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

This is all part of the "Ohio Connection". The Motordoc, from Cleveland, sent Gary to us [NHSC} from Ohio, knowing my wife was a Buckeye. Now I am surrounded by Buckeye's [a useless nut]. Go Trojans!! September 13 is the show down USC vs. Ohio State. Gary will be present with his Ohio State hat. Now if I can just get him too make his dip. Fred

7. Bomber61

Bomber61 Member

Thanks Fred, you know when Ohio State is not playing the Buckeyes, I'm a Trojan Fan!

Gary

8. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

9. foghorn220

foghorn220 Active Member

Gary :

It looks like the award went to a derserving person also it was nice for you to accept it for the others all across the country because I also know what it takes to make a club grow because we used to be a 2 trap club then we expanded to a 4 trap club and got more shooters and took less time to shoot so the profit was better for our non profit club the only paid help was the pullers and target setter's back then.

Well I moved off for 6 years or so and couldn't be a part of the club then, and now im not really to excited on shooting like I was but just want to say im sure others that has put in a lot of hard work at the clubs will appreciate what you said when you accepeted the award.
    <a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v294/foghorn220/?action=view┬Ąt=Dscn0273_1.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

Im sure you will get burned out as the years go by because it seems that it is always 2 or 3 guys that has to carry the whole load to make things happen.

Foggy

10. Bomber61

Bomber61 Member

Thanks Foggy,

You right its hard work, but the people that do help make things go well. I hope I don't get burned out so soon, but you never know. The one thing I do know living in California, we need to keep things going or we will have know where to shoot.

Thanks for your nice words.

Gary

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.