1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Confused. 9-1/2's for Trap

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by timb99, Feb 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

OK, all I had today were skeet loads.

24 grams of 9-1/2 shot, at 1350 fps.

9-1/2's? Surely a no-no for trap, even singles, right?

They work fine. Shot a practice 96 with them.

Go figure.

2. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

If you meant 8.5's You could shoot them from the 27 yard line.. A well choked bunker gun will vaporize targets with 8.5's.. I did my share of dammage a few weeks ago..

3. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Nope

9-1/2's

RC Skeet shells.
    [​IMG]

4. Shady Creek

Shady Creek TS Member

Measure some.........................GOOD LUCK

5. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

How many pellets in 1 1/8 load

6. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

Damn good shell in 7.5's for bunker

7. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

If you look right under where it says 9-1/2, the pellet diameter is 2.0 mm.

That corresponds to what we call 9's.

So I guess its not that big a stretch after all.

8. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

All I shoot is 8.5's. Everyone sees my labels and thinks that I am nuts. I would rather have more BB's than bigger BB's. I think more, outweighs the bigger by far. 1200 fps 8.5's smokes 16 yd targets. If you miss, you know you missed. There are no chips. My father inlaw said he was at the Wisconsin State Shoot one day, and I think it was a Remington rep. that was there. It was very early in the week. The Rep. asked him to shoot a round of handicap with this box of shells he had. The box had no markings as to what they were, other than Remington STS. He shot from the 27 yd. line, even though his normal distance was 25 yds. He shot better than his average and had much better breaks. He was all excited and wanted to know where he could buy these shells. The Rep said they were not for sale here and they are a test load. He said you just shot 1245 fps 8.5's. Needless to say, my father inlaw did not believe him, and still shoots 7 1/2's to this day. Go figure. It is a mind thing.

9. bodybuilder

bodybuilder TS Member

Well I have some Waggoner shells with #10 shot about 700 pellets to a shell and I can't break a single target with one!!!

10. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

timb99, generally they are a no-no around the trap fields but I not only used 9s but just 7/8 oz of 9s to post several 100s at the 16 yard line. Mine are only 1220 +/- also. For everyone? I reckon not but I've used them for many years at singles, 1st shot of doubles, skeet, and close in sporters. If you could wrangle a 96 then you could see 100........breakemall

11. dhip

dhip Active Member

Well,at least I'll relax now since I bought 2 bags of 9 shot.I'll go ahead and load them and use them for singles(16)1 oz. loads

Doug H.

12. smokintom

smokintom Well-Known Member

I shoot 7/8oz of 7 1/2`s from the 16 yard line to the back and they do break birds!!!

13. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Doug, 1 oz of 9s will contain give or take 585 pellets working for you. 7/8 oz of 9s = 512. 1 oz of 8s has only 409. All of which is "plenty." So, by the number the weenies are the winners substantially but the other side of the argument is questioning the effectiveness of the lighter pellets. Obviously, I'm quite satisfied with more pellets works well, saves a few pennys, and can reduce recoil......breakemall

14. Captain Bud

Captain Bud TS Member

I shot 10's (1 1/8 oz) at the 23 yd line (last box of shells that I had with me). 24x25.

Great for first shot in doubles, as are nines, 8.5's. I know several guys that use 8.5's for 16 yard line competition.

Phil

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.