1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Confronting Persons with Disruptive Calls.

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Post 2, Sep 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Post  2

Post 2 TS Member

Anyone have a acceptable way to confront a shooter(s) on another squad who are setting off voice release targets for adjacent Traps? They are so loud that it causes missed birds after a time. Most all are 25 yards or less and are fair shooters. Post-2

2. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Walk off and resquad.

Advise the shoot management why you are doing so.

If they choose to do nothing, you've still taken yourself out of a bad situation.

Curt

3. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

Would duct tape work?

4. straightshooter1

straightshooter1 Well-Known Member TS Supporters

This last winter, at the Silver Dollar, there was a shooter in the Southern Grand who had a call that was just like a sneeze-exactly! AAAAHCHOOOOOOOO!

While it didn't set off targets on other fields, it was somewhat annoying. It certainly got the attention of those in the vicinity. And the guy was a pretty fair shot.

Bob

5. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Confrontation might be the wrong mind set. Did you try the nice approach and let the person(s) with the loud call know that they are setting off targets on adjacent fields and that a bit less volume would be greatly appreciated?

6. dr.beav

dr.beav Member

Try turning your mics in away from him/her -- and be quiet - they have a right to shoot too and you should be glad they choose to participate. the beav

7. samiam03

samiam03 Member

He/she probably has a hearing problem. If he/she speaks at a high volume it's usually a sign of a hearing problem. They're normally aware of the problem - some kind words and they'll gladly compensate.

What appears to be an annoyance to you may be a handicap for them.

Sam

8. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

The problem is with the equipment

Wrong mind set to try to make someone change their call- on your squad or on someone eles squad?

what could you be thinking?

9. Bucko43

Bucko43 Well-Known Member

I've shot on squads with a person that yells pull very loudly.

Once we told him he was setting birds off on the adjacent field, he toned it way down.

It didn't take much, just walked up to him and said "dude, do you know that you are setting birds off on the other field?" (of course with a smile on your face).

10. WarEagle2017

WarEagle2017 Active Member

Lets face it, this is a very common problem because the Trap Houses were built long ago when Voice releases were not even considered, the distance between them now is too close, so a suggestion would be to install low walls inbetween the firing lines from the 16 to the 27, the walls would not have to be so High as to create a echo but something should be done about it, it happened to My squad this past weekend at Millington MD. and it is very disturbing, you find that you are trying to time your shots in reguard to the guys or gals calling loud on the adjacent trap's, it is hard enough to concentrate on a good day let alone put up with this

11. FRedmon

FRedmon Active Member

Luckily we have ERAD's at our Homegrounds in NC - say goodbye to the hogcallers!!!

FRedmon

12. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Make your complaints to management at the first sign of hogcallers setting off releases two fields away. Those guys are eating into the profits and costing us all more to shoot.

Some clubs think purchasing a set of voice releases is about all that's required it seems to me? That and changing one for another when one won't work properly. Voice releases need maintenance and that's news to some or plain neglect. A complaint to management may be a better alternative than a special invite to the parking lot too?

Hap

13. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

Some squads carry foam beverage coolies to put inside the mikes in high wind or to deal with loud callers.

14. Charlie Becknell

Charlie Becknell Well-Known Member

I agree that loud calls are annoying and I disagree with dr.beav that they have the right to disrupt everyone else's shooting. I don't know about the rest of you, but numerous times over the years, when next to someone with a loud or weird call, that you can hear 1 to 3 traps away, that you are trying to wait for that person to get done before you call for your next target. Their rights end where mine begin. Actually , the ATA has a rule regarding disrupting the harmony of the shoot. I believe the proper thing to do would be to ask shoot management or a line referee to address the problem.

Charlie Becknell

15. Post  2

Post 2 TS Member

Thank you all for your thoughts. Post-2

16. Texshooter

Texshooter Member

Years ago at the Grand in Vandalia, a group of hog callers were driving us nuts. They were asked to reduce their calls and didn't. I waited until the worst offender was about to call for a bird and I yelled pull as loud as I could pointed in his direction. The next thing we heard was the sweet sound of "Lost" coming from his trap field. The rest of the round sure was hard to shoot with all of us laughing. AJ

17. BigBruno

BigBruno TS Member

Texshooter, that's hillarious!

18. phirel

phirel TS Member

Usually turning the microphones will take care of the problem. A cup, towel, or a $100 bill over the microphone will help. I extreme cases, my squad has simply stopped until the offending shooter has called for his target and we resume shooting when the other 4 members of the adjacent squad are shooting. My squad can shoot 6-8 targets while the adjacent squad shoots 4 targets. I have looked at offending shooters on adjacent squads but have never said anything to them. Why would I let someone else spoil my fun? Barking dogs, automobile alarms that start horns honking, large white birds walking around between the 16 yard line and the trap house (common at Silver Dollar), and attractive lady scorers who forgot to wear many cloths and a few loud callers are just things that happen.

Pat Ireland

Pat Ireland

19. shamlin

shamlin Member

I will admit I have a pretty loud call. I am a rythm shooter and nothing is more irritating then calling for and not getting a bird due to a soft call. SO maybe I have developed a louder call because of it. I think that calls that make birds fly on adjacent traps are the exception and not the norm. Calling in an ATA rule on shoot harmony for these instances in ridiculous. At the Ohio State Shoot this year I had a fella come up to me after I was 50 straight ion the Caps and pretty much chewed my butt over my call distracting him. Needless to say I wanted to take him into the parking lot and "take care of business"! I ended up blowing a potential great score on the last 50 dropping 8 targets because I was so fumed. When I am on the line, my concentration level is at such a peak that I can't hear anything on that line except my own inner voice telling me to "keep my head down, move the gun, etc". These folks that complain about these things need to take a lesson in concentration techniques.

20. Texshooter

Texshooter Member

With the right call, you can get a target with almost a short whisper. I use a soft voice because it is less disturbance to my gun and a loud call just is not necessary. AJ

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.