1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Configuring Shotgun

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Merbeau, Mar 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Merbeau

Merbeau TS Member

I have a 20 guage Weatherby Orion Skeet Over Under Shotgun with 28 inch barrles that I am wanting to configure for my wife to shoot. The shotgun has a longer length of pull that she needs. I was thinking about installing a Graco GraCoil adjustable buttplate with LOP option so we can tweek it to her LOP, etc. and reduce recoil. I do not want her to use the shotgun as is for it will only discourage her becuase of the incorrect fit.

I have heard that sometimes these pads tend to place weight in the back of the shotgun which for skeet seems to be ok. I would suppose a counter weight would help also.

The only thing this shotgun will be used for is skeet.

Does this seem like a reasonable way to proceed?

Thanks

Robert

2. hrosik123

hrosik123 Member

The only way to reduce the length of pull is to move the trigger back or cut the stock

3. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

If you want her to enjoy shooting skeet she will need a gun that is user friendly. Your plan might work and then on the other hand it might not. Before investing the money it might be worth while finding a used gun that fits her and which she could shoot before you buy it. If it breaks a lot of targets and is not painfull when she shoots it, then it will be a good investment. HMB

4. Rollin Oswald

Rollin Oswald Active Member

Robert,

1) First of all, what are your wife's height and weight?

2) What is the LOP of the Weatherby?

3) With the gun mounted, can she use firm cheek pressure on the comb and see along the rib or slightly down-onto it?

4) Is she able to reach the trigger with her hand in a position on the grip to allow her to pull relatively straight back on the trigger? (I'm wondering how well the grip fits her hand.)

5) When she mounts the gun, does the bottom (toe) of the recoil pad make contact with her shoulder well before the upper heel when she places the recoil pad in her shoulder pocket with the heel (top of the pad) on her collarbone?

The answers to these questions will indicate if the stock can be made to fit her.

Rollin

5. EuroJoe

EuroJoe TS Supporters TS Supporters

Skeet shooters prefer bbl. heavy guns, not butt heavy!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.