1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Confidence in your shells?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by al391claybuster, May 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. al391claybuster

al391claybuster TS Member

Hi Folks, I'm going to my first state shoot of the year. I've always shoot my reloads, and now I'm out of shells and components. So I'll have to buy new shells, and have not shoot any new shells in 10 years. So for those of you that shoot factory shells, what do you have the most confidence in for singles and mid yardage? I know there's a Wally World in the town where I'm going. Please let my know what you feel is your best shell for you when you step to the line? Thanks David

2. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

I agree with Zar. The Wally Federals in 1 1/8 OZ., 3 DRAM, 7 1/2 and 8 are above the rest of the econos in my opinion. For the piece of mind just spring for the STS's and save the hulls.

I prefer to shoot my own reloads and very rarly buy new shell. I only reload the old style AA's (big stash) and STS/Nitros.

I've seen guys with issues with new factory AA's, Gun Clubs, Game and Target and Universals recently. 1 or 2 per 1000. Probably less than that. This problem exists with all new shells just don't think about it. You'll be fine.

3. DecalDude

DecalDude Active Member

Federal Top guns 1 1/8 of 8s

4. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Top Guns and/or Estates. Both reload fine and the 1180 fps, 1 oz. loads will rip up targets.

Last year I bought and used some new Remington STS shells for a shoot then sold the hulls.

Curt

5. StonewallRacing

StonewallRacing Well-Known Member

Remington STS.

Best hull to reload and if you choose not to, it's easiest to sell.

SW

6. dverna

dverna Active Member

Zardy is correct.

A friend gave me some 2 3/4 dram Top Guns for the Southern Grand so I would not need to save the hulls. I shot a 295x300 in the Singles in windy conditions - which is as good as I can do.

I have seen a few problems with new Gun Clubs (FTF).

Get the Top Guns.

Don Verna

7. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Buy some different shells and put them on paper. Wayne

8. TrapDoggie

TrapDoggie TS Member

With the rebates available on STS, AA, and Federals you might like buying the best and saving the hulls... Link for Remington Rebate above...

9. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Top Guns are great for flippers, but if I'm going to buy new shells, I want the hulls for reloading. I buy nothing but Remington STS/Nitro's for just that reason. It doesn't hurt the matter that they are a great shell to shoot.

I wouldn't rely on that local wallyworld having much of a shell selection. You aren't going to be the only shooter thinking of picking up shells there.

ss

10. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

al391claybuster:

Some folks argue that premium bullets - including but not limited to STS/Nitro, AA, and Gold Medals - are the only thing to shoot. I respectfully disagree. With the possible exception of a few elite shooters, IMO any brand of new target shell is better than the person pulling the trigger.

As has been recently reported and frequently repeated, Federal, Winchester, and Remington all have their $2/box rebate programs in effect this summer. That makes premium bullets pretty close to the same price as economy bullets. Were it not for the rebate, I wouldn't give a second thought about shooting one of the economy brands.

sissy

PS: When I'm not shooting reloads, I take my own advice. I got a good deal on a batch of Rios a few years ago and have shot them the past several years from long yardage at the Grand.

11. jdsfarms

jdsfarms Well-Known Member

Well put Sissy I agree!Jerry

12. al391claybuster

al391claybuster TS Member

Thanks Guys, my only problem is I live in BFE, and have no access to anything other than Wally World in Fallon where the shoot is being held. I'm coming in from the back roads from Oregon. I'll told to the locals to see if there's a different choice. Thanks David

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.