1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Cones, Bores, and Chokes - #3 Final

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by BDodd, Apr 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Again, here's the next and last portion of the article in Sporting Clays Mag - the third half if you like humor. Now it's "Chokes."

Choke Lengths And Configurations......
    "I have done a great deal of work with screw-in choke length, especially in conjunction with Briley Mfg. Co., in cooperation with the Cooperative North American Shotgunning Education Program (CONSEP), to which I serve as consultant and principal researcher. In the 1980's, Jess Briley fashioned many different lengths of screw-in chokes containing two different internal configurations (one conical the other conical/parallel) for CONSEP to pattern test. This was primarily undertaken to learn about screw-in choke performance with steel shot, but it also provided interesting findings for lead shot.

"The choke tubes were fashioned anywhere from 2" to 4" in length in 1/2" increments. One set possessed a straight conical, the other a conical/parallel configuration, the exact dimensions of which remain proprietary to Briley as part of the agreement between it and CONSEP.

"At distances of 45 yards or greater, the tubes possessing a conical/parallel configuration consistently produced tighter patterns with both the lead and steel loads tested, particularly with shot No. 4 and larger. At distances of 40 yards and closer, however, the chokes with the conical configurations patterned quite close to the results obtained with the conical/parallel chokes when testing No. 8 through 6 shot.

"Regarding choke tube length, we found without question that the longer choke tubes (3" and longer) patterned tighter, especially when possessing a conical/parallel configuration, than shorter tubes at all distances of 35 to 60 yards with both the lead and steel shot loads tested.

"The Lesson? If you're shooting small lead pellet sizes no farther than 35 yards, it probably does not matter what length or configuration screw-in chokes you're buying. When the shooting distance increases to 40 yards or beyond, however, now things begin to matter very much. The informed shotgunner wanting the tightest possible patterning performance at 40 -60 yards should gravitate to choke tubes no shorter than 3" in length and possessing a conical/parallel configuration. Predicting what the patterns will be with various shot sizes of shot types as a function of choke tube internal diameter, however, varies widely and can only be found empirically - by shooting specific loads of specific shot sizes through specific choke inside diameters."

To correspond with the author, or order his producrts: Contact - Tom Roster, 1190 Lynnewood Blvd., Klamath Falls, OR 97601; phone: 541.884.2974; email: tomroster@charter.net

2. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

I think, Sir Jones, I planted enough caveats to feel safe with anything this article stirs up. While I'm not a big fan of altering guns much, I knew, or thought, the individual sections would stir more reactions than I've seen. I sure don't want to stop any data that helps people decide whether altering their cones, bores, or chokes to any degree is something they want facts about. Let'er Rip!....breakemall.....Bob Dodd

3. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

Not a word about the pattern methods used.

4. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

Joe, the debate is not about flush or extended, it's about how they are made.
    Use your flush chokes and save your money.

5. 4th. down

4th. down Active Member

Andrew, as usual, thanks for your work and sharing it with us.

TR, he is a case but he does have merit. I just don't think for his readers that he goes deep into specifics. I am not defending him, just an opinion, but at the present time he is in Australia with the military as a ballastic consultant and is also one to the U.S. military - a couple of well established military track records. He knows something, obviously. May be shotgun ballistics is not his "money field."

6. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Dr. Jones,

Isn't the game breaking targets, not putting holes in paper? You said that one of the barrels melted targets, I take that to mean it was doing a very good job. But, it disappointed you when it was put it on paper.
    Isn't the test that counts the most, the one that is fired at the clay targets. I believe pattern testing led you to the wrong conclsion. HMB

7. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Andrew, say you were going to shoot 100 DTL targets at a local club, using good shells. What would the whole event cost, targets and shells?

Neil

8. Rollin Oswald

Rollin Oswald Active Member

Bob,

Can we accurately conclude that the tighter patterns resulting from longer choke tubes occurred because of their longer and therefore more gentle taper to the final restriction?

Are their any theories to explain why a parallel section beyond the final restriction resulted in tighter patterns?

Rollin

9. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Rollin, I'm strictly the messenger on these 3 portions of the single article. I tried to make sure I was not supporting or debating any of the issues Tom Roster wrote about. However, I'd opine that logic tends to suggest your thoughts are good ones; tending toward the gentler the choke action, the tighter the pattern in many circumstances. You'll note that there were cases he cited where there seemed to be insignificant, if any, benefit. Id est in the choke section, "If you're shooting small lead pellet sizes no farther than 35 yards, it probably does not matter what length or configuration screw-in chokes you're buying." This basically covers trap shooting games and shot size totally.....Bob Dodd

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.