1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

CONCRETE

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by scooterbum, Dec 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. scooterbum

scooterbum Active Member

If the concrete were already there, would the ATA be using it?

2. FlaLagarto

FlaLagarto Well-Known Member

would of.. should have.. could have.. all else is opinion and everyone has one.

3. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

4. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

I'm with mister FlaLagarto. That is only one of the components needed, 30 yds and 3 hole, it's that simple.

5. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Yep, 30 yards. Half the clubs in the country would have to move their buildings.

Great Idea, ought to stimulate the construction industry.

Tell me, did Obama come up with this one? Is it a shovel ready project?

HM

6. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

Of course they would, the handicap in handicap shooting is how far you are from the trap, they've added yards at least once in the past. These guys getting "honorary" punches and shooting from the same distance is a farce.

7. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Honorary punches? How 'bout thousands of honorary punches!!

8. ric3677

ric3677 Well-Known Member

The answer must be no...because it's already at Sparta and they still use the 27 as Max.

Rick in MT

9. jim brown

jim brown Well-Known Member

" half the clubs in the country would have to move their buildings."??? HM you out did yourself there.

jim brown

10. oleolliedawg

7/8 of the clubs in the country will never see a 28 yd. shooter!!

11. nameisjoe

nameisjoe TS Member

The clubs I readily attend could handle the concrete.

Rick: Fewer and fewer really care if Sparta can handle it. We will have to pay people to attend every year just to see the work. I might go to see it poured but it is a long way to get motels.

I would bet Cardinal would make every effort to put in some more yardage. They don't have to go thru the Illinois/Chicago connection to get things done and it wont be on the taxpayers backs.

Good point Rick.

12. Bob Schultz

Bob Schultz Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Just speed them up to 52-54 yards and put them in the 3 hole...or just outside a straight away from post 1 and 5. Cheap and not a teaspoon full of concrete.

Clubs wont do it because no one will be breaking the big scores except the good shooters. D,C,B and A classes will be won with scores closer to the averages required to be there. All the old farts who like to shoot 27 yards and are too proud to take a reduction will quit because they can't shoot scores in the 80's. Kid's will love it and young shooters might actually feel the game is tough like sporting clays and really work to shoot the big scores. Same big dogs will win because they do know how to shoot. Windy days will once again belong to the short yardage shooter!

Just like government spending...the cure is not easy or popular. But survival of the sport is more important.

Now I feel better with that off my chest.

I can feel the heat coming now...

Happy New Year,

Bob

13. Robb

Robb Member

What Bob said.

Make a 96 mean something. It used to .

14. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Good post Bob! What you've posted is a mere two yards more than it was prior to the feel good change made official in 95/96!

Clubs seem to dictate how we shoot targets these days rather than any hard and fast ATA rule.It was cheating clubs that led us down the path toward an easier target beginning in the very late 70s.

You're right though, survival of the sport is the more important consideration! Something that's been neglected for way too long!

Hap

15. nameisjoe

nameisjoe TS Member

Bob

No arguments from me. 3 hole and a lot will be solved.

But, answer something for me.

With all your knowledge and considering all the people you know in the industry why aren't aren't at least a few delegates responding? Someone point out a single delegate that seems to care about the issue.

16. Jon Reitz

Jon Reitz Well-Known Member

Bob,

Wow! What we need to know is how you really feel about it?

Jon Reitz

17. oleolliedawg

Kay's Handicap average was higher during the three hole year than the previous one. Try again!!

18. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

I had a long chat with Ray Stafford at the Tucson T&S club concerning those two years also. He said he knew he'd have to apply a bit more pressure to his shooting and ended upping his averages a bit also.

Why do we not refer to our history when attempting to right anything perceived as out of whack? We're losing small clubs right and left! We're losing potential long term members long before they've had a chance to get themselves hooked on our sport!

Band-aid patches won't fix the ills that plague our sport either? More categories, free reductions bestowed by the EC, for what long term goals? Those fixes folks are mere band-aids applied with hoped for results only! Developing the AIM program is a step in the right direction but that investment can't pay off membership wise for a lot of years!

According to our historical records, ATA's goals were to further handicap the most proficient shooters that master the game! There's nothing ever said in our historical records about making winners out of the average or lesser shooters. That method of making the game more difficult for the proficient shooters worked almost flawless till the late 70s! Adopting a cheating practice of throwing less difficult targets than before began the down slide in the early 80s and continues to this day. SO, we wring our hands wondering what went wrong? Look back at what worked so well for our sport for decades and find the real answer.

Hap

19. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

It's that simple Hap, you have to wonder why they (EC and delegates)can't see it.

20. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

Bob I believe that they see it just fine. I don't however believe they have the balls to act on it.

Until they do nothing will change!!!!!!!!!

JMO

Bob Lawless

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.