1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Concern: Hard to remove/install XT forearm

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by ESMDHokie, Mar 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ESMDHokie

ESMDHokie TS Member

It's really an XT Trap Gold. I've had it since August and just went over the 5000 round mark with it. It's still fairly stiff when I open the action and will not completely open under its own weight. I use Shooter's Choice grease with Hoppe's oil to keep the joint and action lubricated. But whenever I take the gun apart and put it back together again, the forearm does not want to go back on easily. I have to really grip it on squeeze it so the lug catch will snap into place.

Can anyone lend pointers or troubleshoot this? Should I release the trigger and firing pins with snap caps before doing this?

Thanks,
    Phil

2. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

There are two possible problems. Warped or swelled wood on the forend channel.
    The back of the barrel lug. I would have a gunsmith look at it but being tight is not unusual and is not necessarly a bad thing.

3. Easystreet

Easystreet Well-Known Member

Phil,

If the forend is hard to remove and install on your XT, then you could do some GENTLE stoning of the front end of the barrel lug (that thingee that sticks down from the bottom barrel about midway between the muzzle and and the chamber end). This will provide a bit more clearance for the hook (that's in the forend piece) when the forend is installed or removed.

If the action is too tight when opening/closing the gun, then some GENTLE stoning on the rear end of this same barrel lug will loosen it up some. Be careful and don't overdo it. Just give it a few passes with the hand held stone then try it out. Remember, it's a whole lot easier to remove material than it is to add it back.

Easystreet

4. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

5000 rounds is just getting started. Don't remove any metal.

5. dsid01

dsid01 TS Member

I used to have the same problem with my xt trap combo and found it to be the forearm screws being loose. I put some blue locktite on the and reinstalled them and haven't had the problem since.

6. lefthdr

lefthdr Member

My Citori is over twenty years old and does not open under it's own weight nor does the forearm come off easily. It has had it's share of proper cleaning and lubrication over the years. Don't grind metal it will break in sooner or later, I'm still waiting.

7. 47bt99

47bt99 TS Member

Look for a burr on the barrel lug hook area.

8. phirel

phirel TS Member

It will "break in" unless the problem is in the forend wood. Look for place that show the barrel might be pressing hard inside the forend. If you put a thin sheet of paper around 1.5 inches wide under the barrel, you should be able to pull it out with the forend in place.

Pat Ireland

9. ESMDHokie

ESMDHokie TS Member

I'll be damned! Gary Waalkes was right, the screw just below the lug lever was loose and was causing the assembly to not be flush with the forearm wood on the outside. My leatherman made a quick fix of it. Thanks for the help and information. I agree 5000 rounds is just a drop in the bucket for this 21-year-old.

Thanks,
    Phil

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.