1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

concentration

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by DaveXT, Sep 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DaveXT

DaveXT Member

My missed birds appear to be caused by a lack of concentration. What have you done to improve your ability to focus on the bird?

Dave

2. Calkidd

Calkidd Well-Known Member

From what I have read and heard, your peripheral vision will pick up a moving target much faster than by directly viewing the target. So with that in mind after I mount I "gaze" about 6' up above the house before I call for the target.

Bryan

3. 4N6PE

4N6PE Member

It's a problem that most of us have-you are not alone. I think that the most difficult task in trap is to clear your thoughts for 3 or 4 seconds on each and every shot before calling for the bird. I'm mentally exhausted after a full round, trying to do just that. If anyone finds this easy, let's hear your secret.

Ned

4. pigkiller

pigkiller Member

I use a cue word, such as "see the bird," to keep me focused in every shot. Lately, I focus on the process, i.e., waiting for the target to clear the barrel and keeping my head in the gun while I see the target break. Focusing on "doing it right" keeps my head in the immediate future and away from scores.

5. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

If you think about anything when you call for a target, even the target you're expecting to see, you aren't concentrating. To concentrate on the target, you must be thinking about absolutely nothing so your mental resources can be concentrated upon the target when you see it. Like a computer, our brain can process multiple tasks simultaneously but also like a computer, our brain slows a little when more than one thought is being processed because its resources aren't being concentrated on one thing.

Ed

6. yakimaman

yakimaman Well-Known Member

I tried thinking about nothing but when I do that someone has to walk away from their position, tap me on the shoulder and tell me I'm supposed to say "pull".

rm

7. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

I like to concentrate on reading the trap. That way I am prepared for the bird that appears when I say pull. HMB

8. Martinpicker

Martinpicker Active Member

I, too, try to focus my eyes above the house and let my peripheral vision pick up the bird like Calkidd. But, I have to disagree with AverageEd that you must think of absolutely nothing. I find this impossible to do, so I try to replace that blank piece of white paper image with a positive thought. Two that have helped me in past months are: "See it break" and "See the edge". The former seems to help me stay in the stock and reduces any flinching tendency and the latter helps me to focus intently on the target.(Looking at a small part of the target instead of the whole thing. Sort of like lining up a putt at a single blade of grass instead of the whole cup.) It is always a constant battle isn't it?! Martinpicker

9. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

I don't beleive it is truly possible for us to maintain complete concentrated focus on on simple thought for more than a second or two. Our pee brains just love to wander. Thats okay - just let them wander to fairly simple things between your shots - good stuff like nice weather ... then when its time to shoot get the gun mounted tell yourself to look for the bird and call pull. Keep all this preparatory stuff to a minimum because if you spend too much time the pee brain will get bored and wander .....

10. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

"Concentrate and follow through", the thought process is now done. It's go time. If you are thinking, you are not concentrating with your sight, or eyes.

11. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Albert Einstein was asked how long he could maintain total concentration on a complex equation. He stated about 2 to 3 seconds, when his mind wasn't cluttered!! Where does that leave us in the concentration department? Brain dead for some of us methinks.

After mounting your gun, if you're looking for a (specific) thing, your eyes will keep the mind busy without clutter entering the process. Easier said than done and it takes a lot of practice to learn. The easiest way to set yourself up for failure is having a blank mind!! Although some days are like that!

Hap

12. Onceabum

Onceabum TS Member

Careful not to concentrate so hard on concentrating that you let the bird fly away.

BB

13. Boxer's1

Boxer's1 TS Member

Believe it or Not... try drinking an Monster Energy drink or NOS about 15 minutes before you go to the line.. The clays will become dust!!!

14. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

Hap, you have to remember, Einstein was no trap shooter! LOL

Hauxfan!

15. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

What do you do when your mind wanders?

I mean between "Pull!" and "Bang!"

16. open choke

open choke TS Member

It's true if I think of something else for a split second after I call that target is bye bye

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.