1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Concealed Weapon Permit?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by ismah, Apr 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ismah

ismah Member

I've been thinking of getting a Concealed Weapon Permit. A friend told me not to because then the government will then have a record of gun. I think they have a record of it anyway because I bought it new and filled out the forms. Any comments will be appreciated.

2. Unsingle

Unsingle Member

I though you lost that gun on vacation???

3. chiefjon

chiefjon Active Member

IMHO, the govt. having a record of your gun is really not a consideration when thinking about getting a CCW. If you think you need to carry, get the CCW. God forbid you ever have to use the gun, but if you do and you don't have the CCW, the registration status of your gun will be the least of your worries.

JON

4. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

Chiefjon said it all.

Get the permit if you ever even think you're going to carry a gun among the public.

Just commone sense.

Hauxfan!

5. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

The decision to carry involves quite a bit more than the likelyhood of being put on some list as a gun owner. The real question in your mind should be am I willing to use deadly force and am I reasonably prepared to do so.

But lets work through the original line of reasoning, lets say you have a gun with no paperwork and then someday it becomes a federal crime to posess that firearm. What do you do then? Break the law by keeping the gun or selling it on the black market or surrender it because you don't want to break the law. If you don't think surrendering the gun is an option for you then a CCW permit is kind of a trivial formality.

6. Bushmaster1313

Bushmaster1313 Well-Known Member

Do not even think of applying for a CCW in New Jersey or some of the other enlightened states.

Also, if you apply and are rejected it may cause you trouble when later trying to purchase any kind of gun, it would in New Jersey.

I am not advising you to carry without a CCW.

I am, however, warning you that there can be serious repercussions to applying and getting denied.

Lou

7. Savage99Stan

Savage99Stan Active Member

I saw in the news today that a group of antis in Utah are trying to get the "out of state" Utah process stopped because the trainers who run the class (some of them) are rubber stamping the classes (doing the minimum). I got mine a few years back and the class was pretty good. The instructor gave some good insights into the ramifications of using a gun in a defensive situation:
    .."you will fire the most expensive shot of your life" and "you will be arrested" and "you will be sued". However, if you don't, you may be dead.

Also, if you draw your weapon and scare off attackers, he told us that immediately after you holster it, call the police and tell them what happened because the perps will probably call and say some crazy man is "brandishing" a gun.

Lots to think about. What the others said holds true, you have to make the decision based on what you believe, and whether you think you are capable of the proper, judicious use and not on whether or not you fear your name on some list somewhere. In my state it is not an issue, we're one of the last two to remain on the "unprotected" list....Illinois and our neighbor to the north.

8. redhawk44

redhawk44 Member

I have a CPL in Michigan and there is nothing recorded (in regartds to the license) about any particular gun that I own. All the license is for is to license the concealed carrying of "A" pistol.

Other states? I donno.

9. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I have had a permit in 7 states over the years, it has nothing to do with any particular weapon and none of them were hard to get

10. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

If it is available, your know you are in good standings, if you ever plan to carry concealed, I would get it. Get it while you can get one. You have that right.

11. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Michigan doesn't even require you to own a pistol to have a CPL....

Nor, do they limit the number you may carry at one time...

12. capvan

capvan Active Member

NO permits needed in Vermont. I really like living here. You can carry anytime, anywhere (except for schools)

13. Jerbear

Jerbear TS Member

MI has the stand your ground and castle doctrine. Jenny may have blown this state away but, at least she is somewhat gun friendly. Lt. Gov. John Cherry is very pro gun as well, even the attorney general Mike Cox is pro gun. A number of bills in the works to allow tasers and eliminate the execution zones... i.e gun free zones.

We will see if they get out of committee.

Jerbear

14. Justin L.

Justin L. Member

goose2,

Where does the CWP negate the background check (for other than personal sales)? I'm curious because I do have one but they alway ran a background check whenever I buy a gun.

15. Jerbear

Jerbear TS Member

Justin, he may mean a purchace permit, I don't know.

Jerbear

16. shooter99

shooter99 Well-Known Member

Check out your state and other states CCW laws at the above link.

17. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Delaware does not require a "gun type" with it's CCDW permit nor places any limits on the quantity of guns carried at any given time.

CCDW permits are usually (actually mostly) a moot point if the holder is placed in a situation where the use of deadly force will be required. Refer to "Canon's Theory" of imminent danger for clarification.

Curt

18. Old Texas Marine

Old Texas Marine Member

If you don't wish to go to the trouble to get the training and put up with the hassle of obtaining a CHL, that is your business. To spout off drivel such as:

" Really...Having a card in your wallet wouldn't guarantee that you were not on weekend leave from the asylum.

I think all that card does is to keep the cops from beating you silly if your caught carrying."

shows me you haven't a clue about what a CHL entails.

HBT

19. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

Personal Protection / Self Defense is all you need to write in on the form in PA. Don't be putting in the reason section of the form that you go to gun shows, are a collector, member of the pistol range, shooting sports enthusist....blah,blah blah....... You'll probably get turned down, you don't need a permit to do those things.

It's a responsibility when you start carrying a gun around concealed on your person or in your car/truck. I have a permit but, I don't do it on a daily basis or leave a handgun on my vehicle.

20. nrasmus

nrasmus Member

I live in NE and will be getting mine shortly. I don't plan on conceal carrying too much with it, but I want to be able to have a gun in my vehicle and this state's laws leave too much room for stupid charges with handguns not properly transported. I would hate to have one of those tickets on my record. My friends got charged for a concealed weapon because the unloaded gun was in a case trigger locked but no lock on the outside of the case. Lawyer said he could pry fight it and win but if he didn't win the case no more guns so he decided to take the diversion and move on.

Nick

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.