1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Concealed Carry

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by DickG, Jul 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DickG

DickG TS Member

Florida has had a concealed carry law in place since 1987.

I read in the newspaper this morning that, according to FBI statistics, the following has happened.

Manslaughter rates are down 45%
    Burglaries are down 58%
    Robbery is down 47%
    Forcible rape is down 28%
    Aggravated assault is down 20%

According to a prison survey, 40% of the inmates interviewed reported that they chose not to commit a particular crime because they feared that their victim would be armed.

So, there you have it.

2. Ed Y

Ed Y TS Supporters TS Supporters

So why don't the legislators acknowledge these facts and act?

Ed Yanchok

3. Fast Oil

Fast Oil TS Member

Ed, because they think they know what is best for us. When we are armed they can only incrimentally take our rights from us. Take a little at a time and before you know it they have us disarmed and then they have total control.

4. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

Then there's Illinois, Gov Rod wants to send the National Guard to Chicago to curb violence. Far eaiser solution, teach the low lifes how to aim and shoot

5. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

DickG

What newspaper?

Please provide your source.

I would like to use this information in an ongoing "discussion" with my siblings.

If valid, this would be good ammunition (pun intended) for my side of the argument.

Tim

6. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Tim, those FBI statistics have been available for quite some time. In fact crime stats from the FBI are made public every year but don't expect most of the media to help you find it. They should be available along with much more from the NRA....breakemall....Bob Dodd

7. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

Tim you might want to give this a look, Tons of info.

http://www.guncite.com/

Jim

8. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Just wondering if DickG had a link to a specific article.

9. DickG

DickG TS Member

Tim

I read it in the editorial section of the Fort Pierce Florida Tribune.

The column was an article by Maureen Martin who's by-line listed her as a guest columnist.

Also, my favorite columnist Charley Reese had an article about capital punishment that was dead nuts on the money. Keeping convicted felons on death row for 16 or more years is crazy. Just do as our friends the Saudis do. Take them out back of the court, and use the sword. You may have noticed that crime in Saudi Arabia is almost non-existent.

You may execute a few who may be really innocent, but just imagine the impact on potential perps who may think twice about facing the sword.

Keep it up Charlie!

10. pendennis

pendennis Well-Known Member

DickG - Nice try, but the courts, even the most conservative judges and justices, would never abide the execution of a potentially innocent person. The very core of our justice philosophy requires judgement based on guilt beyond a reasonable doubt. The populace would not tolerate it, either.

Extensive review has always been a hallmark of American justice.

Now, what that idiot Governor Ryan did in Illinois is unconscienable, but neither can we wholesale commit executions behind the courthouse, after the guilty verdict, either.

What would make the process better, however, would be for a single review and appeals process. No one would get more than one trip through the system.

Best,
    Dennis

11. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Thanks guys.

12. DickG

DickG TS Member

Dennis

All I'm saying is that it is crazy to wait for 16 years when a jury already found him guilty beyond a reasonable doubt, and one, or two appeals courts have upheld the verdict. Most of the time involved comes from appeals from anti capital punishment groups. If they are that committed to their view, take it to the legislature, not to the courts to simply waste time.

We spend tons of money warehousing criminals. Housing them. Feeding them. Providing recreational activities. Providing television, libraries, etc.

Recently, in my county, the Sheriff was faced with a budget shortfall. He had to lay off 25 deputies. He couldn't do it to the jail deputies because of overcrowding. His only choice was to lay off patrol deputies. Of course that told the criminals still on the street that there were 25 fewer lawmen to catch them. Does that make sense? BTW, he got his money, and it was made up with fewer school buses.

BTW, I like your last suggestion. That's really what I'm saying as well. I guess I got carried away with the sword thing.

13. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    We had similar drops in most crime in Oregon when CCW was made "shall issue" here. (It used to be at the whim of the sheriff, and many sheriffs said "no".)<br>
    <br>
    Muggings, robberies and assaults, and murders resulting from these activities, all went down.<br>
    <br>
    Car thefts and burglaries went up.<br>
    <br>
    What happened is that the criminals figured it was safer to steal when people weren't around than to risk a direct confrontation with a possibly armed citizen.<br>
    <br>
    And that's the whole point of CCW. Self-defense. It not only works directly, it also has a deterrent effect. Citizens packing CCW are in the minority of the overall population in a given area. Yet, just a few being armed puts enough of a chill into criminals that they decide the risk is not worth it. You don't hear this argument much from pro-CCW people, and you'll never hear it form the police , politicians or anti-gunners. In fact, the latter ONLY try to frame the argument as number of criminals shot in self-defense vs all the people shot by guns (framed that way to make it even more lopsided), and it ignores the deterrent effect completely. It also ignores how many times a gun was used to prevent a crime without a shot being fired. Further, it also ignores that a criminal is more likely to be shot by an armed citizen during the commission of a crime than by the police. Another deterrent effect. Many criminals say they'd rather run into a police officer than an armed citizen.

14. WesleyB

WesleyB Well-Known Member

If Illinois is so opposed to guns then why do we have the Grand there?? We cant conceal carry even on the road to there or at out Motels where we stay, if i have my information right. If not please enlighten me. Yes i think i know that you can have it in a locked case disabled. Sooooo what good it that?

WesleyB

15. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

WesleyB,

This is a question that has been asked and answered 1,396,412 times to date, now 1,396,413 times ... Sparta was the only place left for the ATA to choose from so it was Illinois or nothing ... The attendance of the Grand reflects the acceptance of same by a majority of the shooters ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

16. WesleyB

WesleyB Well-Known Member

Doubt it has been that many.... and I agree with PBB....... other places would glady do it.

17. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

You come out of your house and find some guy breaking into your car.
    Fortunately you're packing heat. You can do which of the following:

(a)Pull out your piece and empty a couple clips into his gut;

(b)Fire a couple shots in his general direction, but not at him.

(c)Point you gun and order him down on the ground, hands behind his back.

(d)Pull out your gun and tell him to leave, and call the police.

18. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Breaking into a car is only a misdemeanor. The use of Deadly Force and/or the threat thereof will be against the law.

Curt

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.