1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

concealed carry reciprocity no more???

Discussion in 'Politics, Elections & Legislation' started by Harold T. Pack, Mar 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Harold T. Pack

Harold T. Pack Member

I just spoke briefly to a concealed cary instructor who is also a local law enforcement officer. He said that as of 2 weeks ago it has been decreed by the federal government, I did not ask exactly which agency, that all concealed carry permits are only valid in the state in which they were issued. Example, according to him, Ohio's ccw is no longer valid in Florida, Kentucky, or any other state nor is their ccw valid in Ohio. This applies to all states not just Ohio. Nor can you obtain a ccw permit from anyother state only in the state in which you reside. Meaning that reciprocity is no long in existance.
    In addition, he said that it is in the works, at the federal level, that an individual can only transport less than 100 shells between states.
    Please clarify if I misunderstood the conversation.

Keep Your Head Down and Follow Through,

Harold T. Pack

2. 870

870 Well-Known Member

Doesn't sound right to me. I'm no expert on the subject, but it seems to me it's a state law issue, and the federal government wouldn't have much say.

3. bluehaze

bluehaze Member

Have him show it to you in black and white, then post it here for all to see.
    Sounds like a internet fable.

4. Harold T. Pack

Harold T. Pack Member

I was up late several weeks ago and an anti on some late tv talk interview, was saying that these 2 issues is what they were trying to get passed by the federal giverment.
    Harold T. Pack

5. kfbagt

kfbagt Member

this is obviously bologna...... this would have been all over every website and newspaper that you can think of.

try the link as a good resource. i would also imagine that as a CCW permit holder, the law would require that I be notified and I can tell you that I have not received any such notification.

6. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

Harold, your instructor/ local law enforcement officer is clearly full of shit, and thats why he is just a local man.

7. Haskins Bill

Haskins Bill TS Member

Just because this person is CCW instructor does not mean he is correct. I know of an individual CCW instructor that was telling his trainies that they could not carry in a bank because the banks are federally chartered! I printed out the latest and greatest info concerning CCW in Ohio and there was nothing/nada about not carrying inside a bank!! Now then if a bank has a no carry sign in accordance with Ohio law then you cannot carry indide of that particular one. He had nothing to say in his defense and I suggest he contact each and every one of his people he trained over the years to inform them of his mistake. Hell there was an incident in Detroit I believe a few years ago where a CCW holder detained a bank robber and nothing said about it other than the CCW holder was a good guy. The teller knew the person and that he carried and let him know by some sort of sign what was up. Now then there was a move to make CCW nationwide and the Democrat Party squashed it. That was before the 2010 elections. Bill

8. TOOLMAKER 251

Bill, Do you think this ccw instructor who was telling his students, besides not being able to carry in banks, you are not allowed to carry in a house with a FHA mortgage.

9. Haskins Bill

Haskins Bill TS Member

too G damned funny!! I should have asked him that one!!!!

10. Haskins Bill

Haskins Bill TS Member

PS. this same person thinks Glocks are a POS firearm just because years ago he rented a worn out one to try at a gun range and had some sort of problem!! Go figure. His daughter refuses to wear hearing protection inside range and outdoor range think how loud a 22 pistol is inside a building half the width of a two car garage, no wonder she talks real loud.

11. Remstar311

Remstar311 Member

I agree with Toolmaker. He is full of shit. The last person I would ever take advice on any sort of gun regulation is a police officer.

12. ColtM1911A1

ColtM1911A1 Member

Carry issues are states issues and the federal gov't has no say in it; remember a little war fought in our country back in the mid 1800's? Well, that got started over states rights versus the federal gov't. I'm certain it won't get to that again, but the states do protect its rights a bit stronger with issues such as this....good luck

13. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    The sad fact is this... a lot of cops make it up as they go.

Case in point...

A CHL holder a few years back was arrested by a Clackamas County deputy because he had two concealed handguns on him. The deputys' reasoning was that it was a concealed HANDGUN permit, not a concealed HANDGUNS permit. Fortunately the judge threw the case out of court.

14. Rick (Pa)

Rick (Pa) TS Member

At the Eastern sports & outdoor show this company was holding classes to get a concealed carry permit good for 35 states.

Rick

15. TOOLMAKER 251

The concealed carry permit he is talking about is a Florida permit. I have both Fla. and Pa. If you are a resident of Pa. you can have all the state permits you want, but you must have a Pa. permit to carry within Pa. The Fla. permit requires you to prove you went through a firearms training course, and shooting at ATA registered targets is acceptable as proof of proficiency with firearms. In Pa. they don't even ask you which end of a gun you load.

16. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

Brian, that can't be a true story, can it? Handgun permit, not handguns permit???

17. SirMissalott

SirMissalott Active Member

I can't imagine the Federal Government meddling in states business. Oh wait a minute Arizona, Wisconsin, New Jersey etc...

18. Guncop

Guncop TS Member

I too am an Instructor, Training Counselor, LE Officer, blah blah blah..Anyhow he is way off base and dead wrong. Hopefully one of his students called him on it. In my classes, I give the students handouts of the appropriate laws, we discuss them, and I give them the tools to do further research. As Instructors and responsible gun folks, we need to make sure we have current and accurate facts! THere are too many people in this business who think they know it all and feel the need to let everyone know. A good instructor also learns from his students.........Ok, I'm done. going back to my happy place.

19. Zuzax

Zuzax Member

In New mexico a CCW holder my only carry 1 hand gun. It's a felony if they catvh you with 2!

Cheers,

George

20. Bushmaster1313

Bushmaster1313 Well-Known Member

Before the last election a majority of the Senate voted for automatic national reciprocity. Lost because they did not have 60 votes. And Pres. Obama signed a law allowing handgun carry in National Parks

No way is this Senate going to vote for harsh gun control.

30 round magazines might fall, but that's it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.