1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

concealed carry laws

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by melbournemike, Mar 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. melbournemike

melbournemike TS Member

I'm a retired Federal ,sworn law enforcement officer. I have been told I dont need a concealed carry permit,just my retirement credentials.I have also been told I dont have to observe the restrictions of the Florida CC law! My restrictions are the same as I was taught by my agency(we often had lunch or dinner in a restaurant that sold liquor).
    Does anyone here have any conclusive confirmation that I am correct? Or have I been told a bushel of bull hockey?

2. chiefjon

chiefjon Active Member

Mike,

I think you need to do a little research on HR 218...part of the Homeland Security Program. It does contain provisions to allow current and retired L E personnel to carry any where in the country. However, your department must subscribe to DHS guidelines, register with the Feds and require qualifications. I think the registration must be renewed each year...although it might be five years.

Naturally, how local current LEOs know about your carrying makes a difference. If you shoot somebody, you know you will get the once over, in depth. I was recently in FLA and chose not to carry. There are some helpful sites on the WEB which talk to which states recognise your right to carry even without the HR 218 stuff.

JON

3. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

I would consult with an attorney- you have a lot to lose if you are wrong. You could also call the NRA

Regards from Iowa

Gene

4. Rastoff

Rastoff Active Member

5. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

6. steele

steele TS Member

Mike, Do you want a CCW just for Florida or nationwide? I'm going thru this right now in Penna, for my national carry permit. Retired LEOs may carry nationwide if they fulfill regulations setforth by the department they retired from. Basically, your agency must set up a yearly qualifying requirement & provide you with a CCW permit indicating you passed their requirements. Each department/agency must maintain records of such training/qualifying. This is the condensed version. There is more to it than this. Butch from Pgh

7. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

You need two things to be legal. A retired law enforcement ID card and you must shoot a qualifing score once each year with the type of weapon you are going to carry( revolver and or auto ). You can get qualified by the Department you retired from or a Department where you reside, or by a state certified law enforcement firearms instructor. You need a letter from that Department or instructor stating the date that you qualified. HMB

8. dickn52

dickn52 TS Member

I retired as the Assistant Chief of a Federal Agency in Florida two years ago. My agency is still fighting with me on simply giving me creds that simply say "Retired" on them. Never mind a "retired badge". I got the Florida CCW in 4 weeks which is good in 29 states now and never looked back. I don't look for crime now and avoid everything I can but I refuse to be a victim.

9. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Do you think that the last chief of that agency to retire has a retired ID Card? HMB

10. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

There is a famous conviction of a NY Corrections officer (which doesnt count apparently as law enforcement in the state of NY for firearm carry purposes)

Regardless of all the free advice I see to the contrary, you have a lot to lose. He was convicted of a felony and I believe also lost his job because he could not be in possession of a weapon after being convicted. He could have plea bargained if I remember correctly but turned that down.

When you hear "all you need" -------------- run for the hills. There has been some sage advice on the troubles other people are having mentioned though- pay attention to that.

Just consider what you have to lose.

Regardless from Iowa

Gene

11. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

Your a Fed and your asking us? Ask some of your friends who are still on the gov payroll.

12. Jerbear

Jerbear TS Member

Try above...

Jerbear

13. steele

steele TS Member

Mike,
    Try this link. It covers everything you need. This covers everything we need in PA. It should be very similar for you in FL

Butch from Pgh

14. FalconSprint

FalconSprint TS Member

Google this. LEOSA It will explain it all. See if you meet the standards for this carry permit. If you meet the standards, then you must find a PD that offers the course of instruction. You must qualify with your handgun EVERY year. Good Luck. F/S

15. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

How about that union you belong to, are they helping the retired guys. HMB

16. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    And once again cops get tossed a bone denied to other citizens.

Some pigs are more equal than others.

17. cpd544

cpd544 Member

You have the same restrictions as a CCW holder and have to qualify every 12 months with the gun you will be carrying and have proof of qualification.

Under new federal law, a “qualified retired law enforcement officer” may carry a concealed firearm without a state-issued concealed weapons permit only if that individual meets ALL of the following criteria.

1. The officer retired in good standing from service with a public agency as a law enforcement officer (other than for reasons of mental instability);
    2. Before retirement the officer was authorized by law to engage in or supervise the prevention, detection, investigation, or prosecution of, or incarceration of any person for any violation of law AND had statutory powers of arrest;
    3. Before retirement, the officer was regularly employed as a law enforcement officer for at least 15 years OR retired from service because of a service-connected disability;
    4. The officer is eligible for retirement benefits from the agency;
    5. The officer has met, during the last 12 months (at the officer’s own cost) either their state standards or the law enforcement agency’s standards for training and qualification for active law enforcement officers to carry firearms;
    6. The officer has a photo identification issued by the governmental agency from which the individual retired as a law enforcement officer and;
    7. The officer is not under the influence of alcohol or drugs.

However, federal law does not authorize an individual to carry a concealed firearm on a state or local property, installation, building, base, or park if prohibited or restricted by state or local law. State law prohibits firearms and dangerous weapons (concealed or otherwise) in liquor establishments, gaming sites and at any public gathering, including: sporting events, schools or school functions, churches or church functions, political rallies or functions, musical concerts, publicly owned or operated buildings, and publicly owned parks where hunting is not allowed.

18. cpd544

cpd544 Member

Wow, some people should read and heed to the quote;

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Because with the comments some make in their unintelligent replies it definitely removes all doubt.

19. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

What state prohibits all that stuff? HMB

20. noknock1

noknock1 Active Member

hmb, I imagine there are at least a few states and especially cities...
    For example, right now Indianapolis has multiple city ordinances that get people into trouble; it is still illegal for a CCW to carry in an INDY CITY PARK, even though that right exists for state park and federal lands/parks….

I am not sure why the bad guys continue to carry guns in the local city parks… IT is blatantly illegal. HAHA. Anyways local ordinance laws are what will screw a CCW especially in a reciprocity state...

Looking up individual state laws is a great idea, in fact it is a must, but one really should look up city ordinances if they are traveling through large cities such as Indy, Atlanta, etc...

Attached is a link to a summary of the LEOSA 218 improvement act.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.