1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

concealed carry in illinois

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by trap906, Aug 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. trap906

trap906 Member

I'm headed to the grand in the morning 8/09 , Been to the grand several times but this time I'm carrying concealed. I have a permit here in Arkansas, I know nothn to worry about in Missouri but how about the republic of Illinois? They are very anti gun, always wondered why the have such a nice shooting facility there.. Anyway do they recognize my Ar. permit?

2. jbbor

jbbor Active Member

Go straight to jail. Do not pass go. Do not collect anything. Jimmy Borum

3. Trapshooter1

Trapshooter1 Member

Ill does not have a conceal carry law. I would not do it.

4. 1100shooter

1100shooter TS Member

Whenever you travel outside your state be sure to check where your permit is honored. They are not like a driver's license which are valid in all states.

5. shadow

shadow Active Member

Foolish thing to do in Ill-I-Noise.

6. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

"republic of Illinois" "anti-gun" Illinois has some gun laws that are
    stricter than other states. That doesn't make the "state" anti-gun.
    There are many great gun clubs in Illinois, and the Sparta facility is there
    because "anti-gun" Illinois came up with the best offer.

Next year the World Sporting Clays FITASC championship will come to the USA.
    Guess where. Hainesville, Illinois.

7. jimrich60

jimrich60 Member

Illinois does not permit concealed carry (they barely permit handgun ownership, and that mostly due to recent Supreme Court decisions against them), nor does Illinois recognize any other states licenses/permits. In other words, do not attempt to carry in Illinois unless you want to risk serious jail time or major fines and a felony record.

8. cp

cp TS Member

Bad choice....

9. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

Worse option to go unheeled in my opinion. As long as you're not drunk, raising hell, speeding, or otherwise acting up you have no reason to come in contact with LE.

Laws don't prevent people from doing anything, I repeat laws do not prevent people from doing anything. Laws set the penalty for those caught and convicted. That is why gun control laws don't work.

10. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

Bring it in, but don't "carry" it. As long as it is cased and unloaded in your car you're safe. Unless you mess up and end up in East St. Louis, you're not going to need it anyway. This is plain ol' Illinois, not Chicago(or St. Louis). Good luck.

11. 870

870 Well-Known Member

I would not suggest following the immediately preceding post. I don't think "carrying" is the problem, it's usually "possession". Since he isn't just traveling through IL, the federal rule won't help.

EDIT: Upon further review the preceding post seems to be accurate. I was surprised to find IL is not as restrictive of handguns as some other states. No concealed carry, but if it's cased you are ok. In NY for example, you'd be at risk just for having it in your trunk while at a trapshoot.

12. jimrich60

jimrich60 Member

Two items from the Illinois FAQ on firearms in Illinois which apply to non-residents entering the state for purposes of hunting, attending a shoot (such as the Grand. Note that even if you comply fully with the first point about casing the gun, etc, you could still end up violating some local community's law since Illinois state law does not preempt local firearms laws.

Question: If a non-resident is coming to Illinois to hunt and would like to bring their firearm, how do they legally transport it?

Answer: Non- residents must be legally eligible to possess or acquire firearms and ammunition in their state of residence. It is recommended that, in order to be in compliance with all statutes, non-residents transport all firearms:
    Unloaded, and
    Enclosed in a case, and
    Not immediately accessible or broken down in a nonfunctioning state.
    (except, of course, when actually engaged in a hunt, or target shoot.)

Question: How do I transport a firearm through an Illinois community with an ordinance that prohibits firearms or handguns?

Answer: Illinois' Unlawful Use of Weapons law does not preempt local ordinances from banning firearms. Persons carrying or transporting firearms through such communities could be subject to local firearm ordinances. It is recommended that you contact local authorities regarding their firearm ordinances.

Jim R

13. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

If your shootn iron is locked up unloaded in the trunk you are going to have to encounter an awfully accommodating bad guy for it to be of any use at all.

14. WIN12 MAN

WIN12 MAN TS Member

Trap ,
    A.T.A puts the biggest organized shoot in the world
    > dead center in the middle of ' anti gun ' left wing
    marxist sewer > Illinois // brilliant / rest my case.

Same idiot logic got us > obama .
    Good luck
    win

15. John55

John55 Active Member

Hey 12mannn,
    Stick it up your a$$. The entire state of IL. is not a left wing marxist sewer. You are referring to Chicago, which the great state of IL happens to have within it's borders. Downstate is no more anti gun than any other part of the country, and we have no trouble at all owning any type of pistols we want...or as many of them as we want. We will get the CCW law at some point in the next couple of years, we've got the votes now but need to convince that idiot governor to sign it.

16. noknock1

noknock1 Active Member

Call the state what you want, but regardless a ccw from another state carrying in IL will go to jail if caught and will suffer a huge financial setback with all the garbage legal mess the will follow.

17. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

"they barely permit handgun ownership, and that mostly due to recent Supreme Court decisions against them"

JimR--This statement from your first post is simply BS. Would you like to explain with all your expertees on IL gun laws what exactly you mean? I happen to have a nice collection of handguns and not one of them are restricted in any way shape or form. There is not one handgun i cannot aquire short from Class III weapons. There is no restriction on magazine capacity either. So would you like to post some facts instead of just making stuff up?? Also, the thousands of people that brought there guns into the State of IL for the Grand AMerican or simply to hunt have absoultely nothing to worry about as long as they abide by the laws. It is that way in every state. You break the law you pay the piper. Gee, i wonder how vicious and stupid rumors start????

win12mann---Are you really that uneducated about the people south of Cook County IL are were you really just trying to be an a$$hole?? You lumped an awful lot of good people into a group where they do not belong.

For what its worth, not all CCW permits are valid in other States. Its not just IL. If you carry in a State you are not permitted to and get caught, the penalities will be stiff. Some of you act like other States would just give you a warning.

18. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

Try the link above before going out loaded...

19. Gold Medal

Gold Medal Member

Go to USA CARRY.com

It is another map of the contiguous 48 showing reciprocity for CCP`s.

20. jimrich60

jimrich60 Member

"JimR--This statement from your first post is simply BS. Would you like to explain with all your expertees on IL gun laws what exactly you mean? I happen to have a nice collection of handguns and not one of them are restricted in any way shape or form."

grntitan:

You may not consider a requirement to have an FOID (and thus be registered by the state as a gun owner), pay a fee to be "vetted", etc as required in Illinois not to be "restricted in any way, shape, or form", but I think many of us do. And the information on Illinois gun laws below comes from the NRA, as posted on their website concerning various state laws, as well as review of the actual Illinois state laws. Note especially some (fortunately for you, apparently not yours) Illinois communities do, in fact, completely ban hand guns. Note also that nowhere did I say that anyone would have any probem in Illinois as long as they obeyed Illinois gun laws. In fact, that was the entire point of my (and others) postings in response to the original question (which dealt only with concealed handguns by the way). That is, the original poster was and is, being advised to carefully check Illinois laws on guns and comply with them (in this case, not to try to carry concealed, as that would violate Illinois gun laws). By the way, I have been to the Grand, taken my guns to the shoot without problems, and even purchased shotguns at the Grand without problem. I just took care to know, and follow, all Federal, Illinois, and my own state, gun laws in doing so.

Regards

Jim R

(From the NRA)

Illinois State Requirements
    Rifles and Shotguns •Permit to purchase rifles and shotguns? FOID Required.*

•Registration of rifles and shotguns? No**

•Licensing of owners of rifles and shotguns? FOID Required.*

•Permit to carry rifles and shotguns? FOID Required.*

Handguns •Permit to purchase handgun? FOID Required.*

•Registration of handguns? No.**

•Licensing of owners of handguns? FOID Required.*

•Permit to carry handguns? No***

* Subject to municipal control. Handguns have been banned in some municipalities.
    ** Chicago requires registration of all firearms.

*** Carrying a concealed weapon is prohibited entirely. A FOID is required to transport a handgun. See "Carrying."

Purchase
    A buyer is required to show his Firearms Owner’s Identification Card (FOID) when purchasing any firearms or ammunition. Any seller is required to withhold delivery of any handgun for 72 hours, and of any rifle or shotgun for 24 hours, after the buyer and seller reach an agreement to purchase a firearm.

The waiting period does not apply to a buyer who is a dealer, law enforcement officer, or a nonresident at a gun show recognized by the Illinois Department of State Police.

The seller must retain for 10 years a record of the transfer, including a description of the firearm (including serial number), the identity of the buyer, and the buyer’s FOID number.

A federally licensed dealer must contact the Department of State Police for a background check, for which there is a $2.00 fee. Any sales at gun shows, including dealers and private parties, must contact the state police for a background check.

Private parties selling firearms at gun shows must ensure the buyer has a FOID card and the buyer must undergo a background check. It is unlawful to sell or give any handgun to a person under 18, or any firearm to a person who is not eligible to obtain a FOID.

Requirements for Foid
    Application for a FOID is made to the Illinois State Police, FOID, P. O. Box 19233, Springfield, IL 62794-9233. Application forms can be obtained online at http://www.isp.state.il.us or by calling the Firearm Owners IdentiAn applicant is entitled to a FOID if he

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.