1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Concealed Carry Advice

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Gunnerx11, Dec 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gunnerx11

Gunnerx11 TS Member

I have decided to purchase a handgun for concealed carry. My preference leans
    toward a revolver, something positive as opposed to a automatic. I am not sure
    on the caliber but certainly a caliber that would be adequate if the situation
    required action. And I have not totally ruled out a auto, just not confident in
    their reliability. Weight is also a factor in this purchase along with a
    concealed holster that does its job. In addition, would being left handed be a issue for the auto or the revolver. Dependability, Adequate power, ease of concealment and draw, manufacturer and than price, that seems to be the criteria.
    Thanks for your expertise and wisdom.

Thanks for Sharing,
    Gunnerx11

2. Hammer1

Hammer1 Active Member

Lots of advice can be found on the 1911Forum.com and on TheFiringLine.com

Some of it may even be good.

Just as trap shooters on this forum highly recommend a shooter get good training and recommend trap shooting clinics...

The same is true for carrying a concealed weapon.

There are some very good instructors, and not necessarily the fellow at the local gun shop or the local range.

Spend some time at a range which rents a variety of guns, revolvers and autos, and give the various guns a try.

I have carried a concealed firearm for 30+ years and have had several week long training classes over those years -- one as recently as this past summer.

I happen to carry a 45 ACP 1911 semiauto in a Milt Sparks Summer Special holster, but that might not be right for you.

I have also carried and sometimes still do carry revolvers.

Revolvers are more difficult to shoot.

Semiautos can be just as reliable as any revolver.

Contrary to common perceptions, revolvers can and do malfunction.

3. GoDawgs

GoDawgs Member

Sig P238 would be a good option. It's an auto that is very reliable and very concealable.

4. APrice

APrice Active Member

S&W makes some nice .38 snubbys. I'd look there.

5. kiv-c

kiv-c Member

S&W 442 is what I use most of the time. 5 shot, In 38 Special. I carry it in a Don Hume JIT (Just in Time) hi-ride holster. Nestles just perfect between my hip and ribs, making it comfortable to carry all day.

It's reasonably accurate at the 10 to 15 feet you would most likely be using it at, and a 124 gr HP is pretty devasting to whatever you hit.

A second alternative would be a Ruger LC9. Light, powerful and reasonably accurate, too.

6. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

If a revolver get a closed hammer one. In other words its in the frame of the gun and you can't see it. That way the hammer will not catch your pocket and not come out. Buy a 357 mag so you can put 38SP +P in it.

As for an auto. I have a Sig 230. They now make a Sig 232. Get a stainless that way care of the gun is easier. That is a 380. Fine litle gun. The hammer on these guns are close to the frame so not to catch your pocket.

What you want is a gun that all you have to do is pick it up and pull the trigger and not ask is the safety on? Pick up, point, shoot.

7. Hammer1

Hammer1 Active Member

One thought...

Trap shooters who routinely shoot subsonic 7/8 ounce loads of #8 shot from the 27 yard line will feel comfortable defending their families with a 380 calber...

Trap shooters who prefer 3 dram loads of 1-1/8 ounce loads of #7½ shot and a Full choke will prefer something with a little more oomph.

Having said that, there are times that a 380 has been found in my pocket as a second back-up.

8. geneleroy

geneleroy TS Member

Don't want to start a feud with the 'auto' carriers, but I prefer a revolver for CC, it can not possible discharge accidentally! Some auto's do and have! If I were in law enforcement or the military I'd have an 'auto' with the largest magazine allowed! I'm from the old John Wayne era, no live round under the hammer. My S&W 38 special, model 36(chief's special)is a great CC weapon. If you can't hit someone at 30 feet you can sure scare the heck out of them!

9. motordoctor

motordoctor Shoji Tabuchi in Branson

i have the same questions I looked at a smith 642??? with laser sight. 5 shot, hammerless. lazer was easy to use and gun was light. any ideas motordoc

10. Redcobra

Redcobra Active Member

I have a S&W 340PD. Scandium and Titanium 5 shot revolver with Crimson Trace Laser grips on it. It will handle .38spc, .38+P, and .357mag ammo. I use it with Hornady Critical Defense Ammo. Small, light, fits in a side pants pocket with a pocket holster.

Of course I would never carry it concealed (or at all) in Maryland where I live, but with my Utah permit I can carry it in all surrounding states.

It's agreat little revolver, and of course a revolver leaves no shell casings behind.

Alan

11. Sky Buster

Sky Buster Sky Buster TS Supporters

I second the S&W Model 442. Light-weight, reliable and has good
    resale value. Use +P .38's designed for 2" guns.

12. dflo

dflo Member

I will second the S&W 340PD I carry one as well so light you will think it is a toy. But loaded with Speer Gold 135gr short barrel 357 mag loads it gets exciting. I carry it in a Remora IWB no clip holster.

Dale

13. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

Glock 19,,,,big enough to fight with and small enough to conceal,,,,,oh yeah, it goes bang 15 times,,,,,reliable, very reliable......

14. kiv-c

kiv-c Member

A Glock 26 carries better than a 19, due to it's shorter barrel. Heavier than a S&W 442 or a Ruger lc9, but has twice the cartridge capacity. Just about as accurate as a 19, too.

15. oskerspap12

oskerspap12 Active Member

I would look for a Model 19 S&W 4" ,it makes a great carry gun.But thats just my opinion.

D.P.Reynolds

16. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

I lean towards an auto. Probably because I shot IPSC for so many years. I am comfortable with a 1911 but there are smaller and lighter options out there that will do the job.

My current cary gun is a Kahr CW-40 in .40 S&W. What ever you decide upon the important thing is to shoot it enough to be really familiar with it and its operation.

Jim Skeel
    skeeljc_2008_030342.jpg

17. ExFedex

ExFedex Active Member

The Ruger LCR in .38 SPL +P is certainly worth looking at. My wife is quite happy with hers.

18. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I would make it a Glock 19 or 26, they are very reliable and carry a bunch of bullets ... I carry a Glock 17-9MM hi cap (hard to conceal), I also carry a S&W .38 snubby at times, depending on what I am wearing ... What ever you choose the best thing you can do is get in a lot of practice so you feel confident in what ever it is you are carrying ... Don't pull it unless you intend to use it ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

19. Hammer1

Hammer1 Active Member

If a Glock is carried concealed, it must be in a concealed holster (same with the 1911).

To put an unholstered Glock in one's pocket is asking for a negligent misfire down their leg.

20. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Sig all the way but I like 45 so I carry a P220

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.