1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

conceal carry Ohio

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by SPACE GUN, Mar 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SPACE GUN

SPACE GUN Member

I am planning on getting a c/c premit. What do I need to watch out for? I looked online $75.00 to $150.00. Are all classes equal? what to avoid? any information will be helpful.

2. Uncle Screech

Uncle Screech Member

While instructors all have their own personal styles and teaching abilities, hey all have to pass along enough information to be able to pass the standard test that is issued by the state. In that regard just about any class will do. I thought the test was pretty straight forward, simple actually, but I did see one person not pass in the class I was in. In the class I took the instructor had an assistant DA come in and speak about the legal portions of the class and that was an excellent move, really got me to think about the responsibility I was taking on.

I guess to answer your question, the instructors are, or should be, NRA qualified, will give you at the minimum of t you need to pass the test and on the second day you'll get to do some shooting. Once that is done you get to submit your application, get a background check, pay your money and get your CHL. If you are looking to just get your license then any class will do and you can make your decision based on cost. If you want a more thorough, thought provoking class you'll have to look around for classes taught by law enforcement officers, district attornies, etc. and that will cost more but you will take away a better appreciation for that license you are putting in your wallet.

3. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

The course requires 2 hours of shooting, so make sure your instructor has his class at a good range. It's not fun feezing or sweating for 2 hours after 10 hours of class time. Make sure your instructor is NRA certified.

4. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

What is the advantage of an instructor being NRA certified? The state of Texas certifies it's instructors, after a 40 hour class from the state. So why do I need to be NRA certified too? The NRA does not know what needs to be taught in a CHL class for every state. Just wondering.

GneJ

5. Rick in Ohio

Rick in Ohio Member

The 12 hour class's right OK but you get a lot more out of a law enforcement CCW class that's a little longer.

Myself I took a law enforcement CCW class........ 2 weeks of class room every night from 4:00pm to 10:00pm plus we had a week after that of range time so the class really was a 3 week long class. My class I took cost me $500 bucks plus the ammo I shot and I did get a lot out of it. The thing they did pass on to all of us just about every day was if you don't have to pull you gun then don't and they showed us how to get out of not having to use the gun, but if you do have to use your gun they clearly pointed out that "dead men can't talk" They also told us if we do use are gun and kill some one your going to jail till they find out the fax on the case....... like why you used you gun. I got a lot of good info by taking this class. When my daughter needed to get her CCW I sent her to the same place that I took mine and she was happy with it as well.

I am coming up on my 2nd Ohio renewal soon plus I also have a Florida permit as well. You may ask why have a Florida permit.. a Florida CCW covers a lot more state's, but you have to have the Ohio one first before going for the Florida CCW.

Good Luck on your class that you do end up taking.

6. Solid Hit

Solid Hit Member

There is a similar difference in cost in my area of SC as well. What it amounts to here, is that the cheaper cost is just for the course and finger prints while with the higher amounts, the instructor files the paperwork for you and pays the state fee as well.

7. Uncle Screech

Uncle Screech Member

While instructors all have their own personal styles and teaching abilities, hey all have to pass along enough information to be able to pass the standard test that is issued by the state. In that regard just about any class will do. I thought the test was pretty straight forward, simple actually, but I did see one person not pass in the class I was in. In the class I took the instructor had an assistant DA come in and speak about the legal portions of the class and that was an excellent move, really got me to think about the responsibility I was taking on.

I guess to answer your question, the instructors are, or should be, NRA qualified, will give you at the minimum of t you need to pass the test and on the second day you'll get to do some shooting. Once that is done you get to submit your application, get a background check, pay your money and get your CHL. If you are looking to just get your license then any class will do and you can make your decision based on cost. If you want a more thorough, thought provoking class you'll have to look around for classes taught by law enforcement officers, district attornies, etc. and that will cost more but you will take away a better appreciation for that license you are putting in your wallet.

8. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

The course requires 2 hours of shooting, so make sure your instructor has his class at a good range. It's not fun feezing or sweating for 2 hours after 10 hours of class time. Make sure your instructor is NRA certified.

9. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

What is the advantage of an instructor being NRA certified? The state of Texas certifies it's instructors, after a 40 hour class from the state. So why do I need to be NRA certified too? The NRA does not know what needs to be taught in a CHL class for every state. Just wondering.

GneJ

10. Rick in Ohio

Rick in Ohio Member

The 12 hour class's right OK but you get a lot more out of a law enforcement CCW class that's a little longer.

Myself I took a law enforcement CCW class........ 2 weeks of class room every night from 4:00pm to 10:00pm plus we had a week after that of range time so the class really was a 3 week long class. My class I took cost me $500 bucks plus the ammo I shot and I did get a lot out of it. The thing they did pass on to all of us just about every day was if you don't have to pull you gun then don't and they showed us how to get out of not having to use the gun, but if you do have to use your gun they clearly pointed out that "dead men can't talk" They also told us if we do use are gun and kill some one your going to jail till they find out the fax on the case....... like why you used you gun. I got a lot of good info by taking this class. When my daughter needed to get her CCW I sent her to the same place that I took mine and she was happy with it as well.

I am coming up on my 2nd Ohio renewal soon plus I also have a Florida permit as well. You may ask why have a Florida permit.. a Florida CCW covers a lot more state's, but you have to have the Ohio one first before going for the Florida CCW.

Good Luck on your class that you do end up taking.

11. Solid Hit

Solid Hit Member

There is a similar difference in cost in my area of SC as well. What it amounts to here, is that the cheaper cost is just for the course and finger prints while with the higher amounts, the instructor files the paperwork for you and pays the state fee as well.

12. shotgunpeople

shotgunpeople Active Member

May I suggest contacting Scott Weber at: scott@thegunrunner.com

I have found Scott to be a good authority on Ohio C/C permits.

Dave in SC

13. mikkeeh

mikkeeh Active Member

Most of the cheaper classes are a crapshoot. Problem being there is always someone in the class who has ZERO gun experience. Alot of the class will probably have to do with gun safety, and they will demand more training in that. The class I took in 2004 was given by local LEO's. The entire class of 8, had been shooting for years....so the training changed gears a little bit, with more emphasis on tactics and legal aspects....so you were actually being schooled in concealed carry.....and not specifically "how to shoot." What part of Ohio are you?

14. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

I now have my second renewal, you have to take a refresher course for the 3rd renewal, I need to chck into it, but it is not due till 2016.

The instructor has to be an certified instructor, here in Fairfield County Ohio a Lancaster Police Officer certified charges $75.00 as per advertisements in local newspapers and magazines.

You need your own gun and shells,

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

15. ouch

ouch Member

Ohio and I'm guessing other CCW classes make me think of drivers education schools. Taught properly it would be a multiweek,If not multi month long class.

In my opinion its like getting your drivers permit. You have met the States minimum requirement for the permit, Now you can become as proficient as you want with your handgun. Read a good site like www.Buckeyefirearms.org. Follow factual news articles from reliable sources pertaining to self defense cases in Ohio. Ask your instructor,Friends ect. for the name,number ect. of a known good self defense attorney. Keep his number with you and make sure your friends and family know it.

#1 most important : Pray to GOD that you never need to injure or take another persons life. Richard

16. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Rick,

You don't need an Ohio, or any other state CCW to get a Flordia CCW.

Wayne

17. hunter44

hunter44 Well-Known Member

Go on line, take a little written test, pay your $29.95 & you will have an Iowa
    CCW permit which should be honored by most states..........no shooting, no class time..........& Iowa won't honor any other states's permit! Can't carry in Iowa without an Iowa Internet permit! I wish someone from Iowa would explain that to me?

18. Rick in Ohio

Rick in Ohio Member

Dr. Longshot

After March 20 or 27 the CCW law will change here in Ohio for us guys that are needing are 2nd renewal........ no refresher course needed. Just fill out the paper work and pay.

19. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

Rick thanks, the sheriff's office told me I needed a refresher couse when I re-newed the last one, for the next renewal.

Rick Chris said banquet will be on the 15th for the league, she said she is sending you an e-mail

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

20. roaddawgdriver

roaddawgdriver TS Member

Hunter 44
    I can carry in Iowa with my ohio ccw permit

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.