1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Concave Crimps

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by timb99, Oct 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

I have an older Hornady/Pacific 366.

I have a minor dilemma.

I load two primary "recipe's" on this loader.

The first one is as follows:

Remington Gun Club hulls
    Winchester 209 primer
    17 grains of Hodgdon CLAYS powder (using a 444 bushing)
    Downrange XL-1 neon green wad
    1 ounce of 8 or 8-1/2 shot (nominally, the shot actually weighs out a little less than one ounce.)

The second load is as follows:

Remington Nitro or STS hulls
    Winchester 209 primer
    17.6 grains of Hodgdon TITEGROUP powder (using a 351 bushing)
    Downrange RT12 (clone of the Remington TGT-12) green wad
    1-1/8 ounce of 7-1/2 shot (nominally, the shot actually weighs out a little less than 1-1/8 ounce.)
    (NOTE: I realize this is a little beyond Hodgdon’s published data set, but I had a sample of these shells tested by Kevin Lewis at Downrange, and they tested out to a little less than 10,000 psi.)

My problem is that when I have my reloader set up for the first (one ounce) load, then change the bushings and the materials to start loading the 1-1/8 ounce load, I get dished (concave) crimps with a small hole in the middle.

What is the "proper" way to get rid of the concave crimps?

In the past I've just raised the final crimp plunger a little and that helps, but makes the crimp depth a bit shallower than I’d like to see.

Should I lower the pre-crimp die a little?

2. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Hey Tim,

I have the same machine and use the same hulls, You are on the right track to close the hole (lower the crimp starter).

I haven't loaded the 1 1/8 OZ DR wads but it sounds like it is better suited to the WWAA cases. I get good results with the WWAA white or orange wad in STS hulls using 1 1/8 OZ shot and International Clays through a 447 bushing. No adjustments from my 1 Oz crimp settings. I don't go through many of these 'boomers', they are a bit much for me.

I am working on a case of DRXXL (pink) wads right now and load 7/8 and 1 Oz shells with them without adjustments other than bushings. Pretty good fit in STS hulls especially with 700X powder.

O/T, Upland bird season opens here Saturday and my old M37 16 guage is once again headed to the field. Hope you get your M37 gets out too this season.

3. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Shot a round of sporting clays with "Ol' Clem" just a couple weeks ago.

He'll get his time in the field this fall looking for the painted Chinese chickens.

4. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Dished in crimps are caused by not enough volume (powder + wad + shot) in the reload. If changing the wad is not an option I would increase the shot volume by 5% or 10%. I have over and under shot bushings in 5% increments to correct the problem.

Jim Skeel

5. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

your powder change is the problem the Clays take up about twice the space as tite group also check to make sure your wad pressure is not crushing the wad rick

6. phirel

phirel TS Member

To load two different shells without changing the crimp starter and final crimp stations, both loads must have the same volume of components(space of powder, wad,shot). When I load 1 oz shot using a Winchester pink wad and 1 1/8 oz shot using a Winchester white wad, I don't have to change any adjustments on my press.

timb99- I have no experience loading Rem Gun Club hulls. You are trying to use the same set up to load Gun Club hulls and STS hulls? Do these different hulls have different internal volumes? You can easily determine the internal volume of different hulls by weighing them empty and then weighing them filled with water.

Pat Ireland

7. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Pat,

The Gun Club hulls and the Nitro/STS hulls are virtually identical.

I use the Gun Club hulls on my singles loads to visually differentiate them from my handicap loads, which are in Nitro or STS hulls.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

366 bushings for titegroup powder