1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Comuter Car Recomendations

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by BP348, Dec 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BP348

BP348 Active Member

I'm in the running for a promotion at work. Only bad thing is that I will have to change to a different location. The other office is 72 miles from my house, all highway driving.

I'd really like to promote at my current location but there is no telling when/if I'll get a promotion at my current location.

So I've been doing some checking on a commuter car and have pretty much decided on;

Toyota Corolla
    Hyundai Elantra
    VW Jetta TDi (Diesel)

Each has good points and bad points with the VW getting the best (from what I've read) gas mileage. However I'd have to buy the VW used while I could probably get either of the other two new.

Does anyone make a commute like this? What does everyone think about these vehicles and/or any I may have left out?

I'm trying to get the most comfortable best gas mileage vehicle I can.

Thanks

2. chatbrat

chatbrat TS Member

Rico, the most important aspect, in my perspective is how the car does in crash tests, (personal safety is paramount), next is comfort ( if you're spending that much time in car, good seats are a must) & finally cost & ease of repair (expensive repairs will kill any mileage benefit) & finally mileage----Phil

3. lumper

lumper TS Member

Do not purchase a used diesel unless you know the full and exact maintenance history of that motor in that car. There is a reason why people trade in a good car and most don't trade in a good diesel.

4. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

You don't say what those cars on your list get for mileage.

But a friend of mine has a two door Honda Civic, and gets as high as 44 or so on the highway, and a good 3i-33 in town. Impressive to say the least. He even has a sun roof in it. Looks like a great car.

Hauxfan!

5. Hipshot 3

Hipshot 3 TS Member

I have a Volks Bug with newly installed pedals.....interested?

6. ke4yyd

ke4yyd Member

Take a good look at a Toyota Matrix/Pontiac Vibe. I got one two years ago to commute to the skeet range (85 miles) and other trips where good gas milage was important. They are like a Toyota Corola but in a hatchback. The rear seats fold flat making a nice cargo area to carry guns and other stuff. Highway MPG is about 40 if you baby it and 35 if you are in a hurry.

7. Jerry944t

Jerry944t Well-Known Member

You cannot beat a Honda product or a smaller Acura like the TSX. Very efficient, comfortable and safe cars.

8. lumper

lumper TS Member

For that much commuting a day do not let economy be the main concern. We are talking about 720 miles a week and at $3 a gallon for gas that would be $54 a week with a 40mpg car, $72 a week for a 30mpg car and $108 a week for a 20mpg car.

$108 a week if fuel would be what I would consider to be high but the price difference in fuel between a 30mpg and 40mpg car is $18 or a week and for $18 I would much rather have comfort over economy.

Now another thing to consider is insurance for this vehicle and the mileage that you will be putting on it. I would suggest you also contact you insurance agent and ask him a few questions in regards to premiums you would be paying. Years ago I spoke with my insurance agent about a few different vehicles I was considering purchasing and the first thing he said was ... do not consider vehicle "A", the rates on that car are much higher because of this and that. He was also able to tell me various things as to why one car would be better over another car and in the long run ... it saved me overall money. I was able to actually get a nicer vehicle which costed a little more in gas and payment but in the long run was cheaper because of lower insurance premiums.

You need to take it all into effect when your going to be spending the cash to drive 720 miles a week and most likely 10 to 12 hours a week sitting in that car. Comfort vs. economy vs. cost

9. Capt. Morgan

Capt. Morgan TS Member

Of course, every manufacturer produces cars that vary in reliability and comfort but I did not have good experiences with the Honda Accords my wife owned. They were both very difficult for me to get out of (easily) because the seats are so low to the ground. And both (4 cylinders, 2000 and 2004) transmissions began to "flair" on the 2-3 upshift when until fully warmed at any air temp under about 30 degrees.

I'd go for the Toyota over the Hyundai.

Morgan

10. pendennis

pendennis Well-Known Member

Humvee - Very safe. Others will get out of your way. Also, is great in heavy traffic, since it will climb over just about everything else out there. <:)-)

Seriously, ever think about an Escape Hybrid?

Best,
    Dennis

11. gotbass

gotbass Member

Or you could have some fun and get a Mini.

12. shark1

shark1 Member

If you can get a good older diesel than thats the way to go. I drive 90 miles one way to work for my practice (job). Diesel is more durable, I drive a 1984 mercedes 300sd every day. The big issue is diesel fuel in winter costs more. I paid 2600 dollars for this car and have been driving it 2 years. The owner was grandfather who had documentation of evry oil change from 1984. Old benz diesel can be cheap to run if you can do the work. That is a big if. Engine oil is critical i use rotella synthetic with lucas additive and get 33 mpg. with 220thousand on the car.
    Mike Sharkey

13. smartass

smartass TS Member

How about one of those Smart Cars. AsGore would be very proud of you if you drove one of those.

14. Dednlost

Dednlost Member

Mazda mx3.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.