1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

computor is running slow , what to do?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Jim Zee, May 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jim Zee

Jim Zee Active Member

Hello Everbody looking for some help here.The home computor is running really slow, should I go to a ( clean my computor dot com ) to get what ever zapped and cleaned up? If so can anyone recommend a service, ( pay is ok ) not looking for a freebie.

Thank You,
    Jim

p.s. its a dell running on VISTA so kinda old

2. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

try Microsoft Security Essentials.

Free, light, and does a fairly good job.

After that run 'Disk Clean Up' and then 'Disk Defragmenter.'

3. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

Is it the computer or the internet service?

This service will determine if it's the internet service. Download speeds should be at least 2 BPS. Good luck

Bob Falfa

4. postmastertim

postmastertim Wheels are falling off....

Try the link

Tim

5. cunninmp

cunninmp Member

HSLDS is right on the money. Used to do this for a living and it's exactly where I would start.
    Mike C.

6. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter

If it starts slow you can uninstall the programs you don't use. Go to Control Panel, then Programs and uninstall.

7. Jim Zee

Jim Zee Active Member

Thanks to all, I do not thik its the service ( Verizon ) I do not seem to have a issue but mostly my wife( dont they usually )just teasing.

She does use Facebook,Pintrist and what not but also pays the bills on line and is slow to respond.The FASA form was a real joy also.

I will start with deleating programs but one time we had a virus and had it cleaned up and it was much improved but I do not remember who did it?

Jim

8. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) TS Supporters TS Supporters

Microsoft Mr. fixit.

9. drgondog

drgondog Member

HSLDS had good first start.

You also need to use Ping CMD to check out the latency of your service. If satellite like Hughes, Starband, etc there will be much more latency than highbandwidth Cable like AT&T.

Also go into Control Panel>Internet Options>Browsing history and periodically 'Delete'

Strip your Desktop of all files and Shortcuts except what you REALLY need there.

Or buy an upgrade on your computer/OS and transfer files

10. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Shoot it, then go get an Apple system!!

Curt

11. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

Walmart

Gateway One ZX4250G-UW308 All-In-One Desktop PC with AMD E-350 Accelerated Processor, 4GB Memory, 20" Monitor, 500GB Hard Drive and Windows 8

$388.00

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Gateway-One-ZX4250G-UW308-All-In-One-Desktop-PC-with-AMD-E-350-Accelerated-Processor-4GB-Memory-20-Monitor-500GB-Hard-Drive-and-Windows-8/21777755

12. lboh

lboh Member

You also probably have a ton of temporary internet files and other junk on the system causing issues, that needs to be cleaned.

Go to the link above and download cookie cleaner. It is free. I have been using it on all my PC's for years and it keeps them running clean and smooth. It is setup to not remove needed files...

The first time you run the cleaner, you will be amazed at the junk/temporary files that are removed. It may take a couples of minutes the first time but subsequent cleanings are 1-2 seconds.

13. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) TS Supporters TS Supporters

Free and easy. Clean your computer. C.Cleaner.

14. stingray44130

stingray44130 Member

Buy a mac

15. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

You can download CCcleaner for free then run it that should speed thing up make sure to check everything in the list that has to do with add-ons and temp files speeds the computer back up quickly. tkae the time to read the instructions for the most benifits. Also free downlaod for Malwarebites.

16. B.C.

B.C. Member

Red Dot And Bruce nailed it !

17. burtona

burtona Member

get the free version of Spybot and run it at least weekly. It cleans up all the tracking cookies and ad ware stuff you get from internet web sites. Google it and run the download to install on your computer. It works the best I've found for scanning and fixng all the stuff that slows the computer.

18. Jim Zee

Jim Zee Active Member

OK Guys I did the CC cleaner and it worked well, Wifey is happy also Thanks to all.

19. X Trap 2

X Trap 2 TS Member

I am surprised that no one also recommended a system restore to a date where it was running fine. Ray

20. steele

steele TS Member

What about e-mail problems? Every week or so, I encounter a problem where I cannot send an e-mail. It shows up in the "Outbox", but will not transmit. This will last several days, & then things are OK. I use MSN Live Mail
    Butch from Pgh

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.