1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Computer ??????

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by hmb, Dec 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

When I finnish using the computer I put it on stand-by until I use it again. Today I got high speed internet connection with Cablevision. When I put the computer on stand-by now it comes back on in 60 seconds by itself. I have Windows XP. How do I fix the problem. Thank you. HMB

2. JCS

JCS TS Member

Go to:

Control panel

Performance and maintenance

Power options

pick your option .

3. Jerbear

Jerbear TS Member

With out knowing all the programs running in your computer, something may be "phoning home" and taking your computer out of standby.Look by the clock and see what is running and if necessary turn off some of the programs by right clicking on the icon and left click exit or close. Be careful on the printer icons because you may shut down printer/ scanner options.

Let us know if we are moving in the right direction.

You may have to see all the icons running in the background.

1) Right click on start and go to properties and left click on taskbar and uncheck "hide inactive icons". Now you will see ALL of what's running in the background and taking up CPU cycles along with memory.

Hope this helps... We may need to send tech support... <a href="http://photobucket.com" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

Jerbear

4. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Things seem to be working now, thank you. But I would like you to send tech support to help me with my icon. HMB

5. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Back to square one. Computer won't remain in stand-by mode for more than 30 seconds. HMB

6. waverider

waverider Well-Known Member

Why not put the computer in Hibernate Mode? Unless you are planning to use it again within the hour. In this case how about just setting the screen saver to come on after about 5 minutes.

Wouldn't having the computer in Hibernate Mode stop any one from using your computer?

Jason

7. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Computer is all better now. Incoming info was knocking it out of stand-by. Thank you for your help. HMB

8. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

What did you do to fix the problem? I'm interested. Thanks.

9. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

HMB, it's just updating the government's database on what you've been doing the for last 60 seconds. What's the problem?

Neil

10. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Joe,

I called cable vision and a very nice fellow by the name of Phil walked me through the changing of some settings on the computer. It started with clicking on start and going to the control panel. About 20 left clicks and right clicks later the problem was solved.

I'm sorry I can't remember all the details. HMB