1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

computer start up problem need help

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by wireguy, May 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

The power supply on my primary computer (HP Pavilion with XP) burned out so I ordered a new one from Amazon and installed it. Now Windows won't start normally. I set the first drive to the DVD drive per Youtube but no matter what I do Windows won't start. It's like the computer isn't booting up. I have gotten Windows to open manually. Any ideas what I'm missing? This is one part of the whole computer thing where my knowledge is incomplete.

2. fritzi93

fritzi93 TS Member

What do you mean you got it to start "manually"?

Anyway, have you cleared the CMOS? Power off, pull the power cord and hold down the start button. Likely a couple light will flash while all power is discharged from the MoBo. Open the case and look for 3 pins in a row on the MoBo with a jumper on two of them. If, say, the jumper is on the top and middle pins, move it to the middle and bottom pins for ten seconds or so. Then put it back where it was. Alternatively, you can remove the round battery for ten seconds or so, then replace it.

Disconnect all drives and peripherals except your boot hard drive, keyboard and mouse. Now reconnect your power cord, hit the power button and go into the BIOS settings. Typically it's the delete key or F1 or F2 keys. Repeatedly tap them until you get into the BIOS. If you can't, the MoBo is probably buggered. See if your hard drive is recognized by the BIOS. (It may have been screwed when your PSU failed). Check that your boot order is correct. Load optimal defaults and exit. At this point your hard drive should boot up assuming nothing is wrong with your hardware. If all is well, power off and reconnect your other stuff.

Good luck.

3. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

Thanks fritzi. What is the "correct order?" Someone on Youtube said always start with the DVD drive and I think next would be the hard drive?

What I meant by manually was I've gotten it to start twice by some means that I honestly don't remember now, and Windows operated normally. It's just the computer doesn't seem to be able to boot up normally (always get the "we are sorry.........." page and a choice to start normally or with last known good configuration, neither of which work. I am able to get into the bios and arrange the drive start up sequence but I'm not sure what the sequence should be. Thanks for your help.

4. fritzi93

fritzi93 TS Member

Well, setting an optical drive first is just for convenience if you need to do a startup repair, a repair install, or restore from backup. Or maybe run a LiveCD. Nothing bootable in the drive...next one in the list is booted. And that one should be the hard drive with XP on it.

Sometimes the BIOS settings can get messed up and your computer can sort of get trapped in a loop. Clearing the CMOS, disconnecting all drives but the boot hard drive, loading BIOS defaults, that's just eliminating some extraneous variables. BTW, I've replaced PSUs (power supply units) before and had your exact problem.

Once you've done the above, if still no boot, reconnect one optical drive and set it as first boot device in the BIOS. Then try to boot from your XP install disc (hope you have one) and try to do a startup *repair*. Not the same as a repair install, but you can try that too if all else fails. If you do all the above and can't boot, it's likely a hardware problem.

5. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

Thanks for some great ideas fritzi. Now I have a direction to go. Doug

6. dgh

dgh Well-Known Member

it sounds like you may have a damadged MBR master boot record, happens from time to time,

on another PC or on yours when you start it "manually" download

EASUS Partition Master Home Edition, Its free and has the ability to Rebuild the MBR as an option,

Doug

7. fritzi93

fritzi93 TS Member

Good one. That does the same as a startup repair, but maybe easier. And if Wireguy doesn't have an XP install disc, he's gonna have to try that or borrow an XP disc. Note that sometimes it takes a couple tries before it "takes".

I have solid state drives in all my computers now (except my netbook) and they're rather touchy. Once in a great while, when something crashes like a graphics driver, I gotta do the repair startup routine. On a plain old mechanical hard drive, a hardware failure and replacement, like a PSU, is likely to do it.

Just hoping the PSU didn't take something else with it when it died.

8. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

OK, I got it going, Windows comes up fine, only problem now is the DVD player isn't being seen. They were both on a blue end, cable select cable. I set up the hard drive as master and the DVD as slave using the correct connectors and set the bios up that way. I've tried the pin cover on the DVD in cable select and slave positions and the DVD just isn't being seen. I think the whole bios/cables/pins thing is just a bit beyond my ability.

9. fritzi93

fritzi93 TS Member

Okay, several possibilities there:

1) Does the drive show up in the BIOS? If not, maybe bad cable or connection. Remove and reseat the cable at both ends. If no joy, replace it.

2) Could be the drive has simply died. New ones with SATA interface are about $20 bucks at Amazon or NewEgg. If your MoBo has no SATA ports, IDE DVD drives are still available for a bit more.

3) Could be a software problem. Try going into Device Manager and right-click the DVD drive. Select uninstall and reboot. The drive should be re-detected.

Alternatively, you may need a Windows registry fix:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060

It will do no harm to run the registry fix, even if that's not the problem. At worst, you may have to re-install any burning software.

Good luck.

10. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

DVD drive firmware may be gone. Mine is and I can't figure out how to fix it.

HM

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.