1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Computer problems, SOS!

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by senior smoke, Apr 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Hello:
    I recently purchased a new computer for my mother. She gets a lot of forwards from friends and relatives. The other day if she is looking at her emails, a advertisement for some other company and it's products takes over with sound and takes her from her email to this other site.

The computer is now running slow as well. She has "Super anti spy" on her computer and in attempting to run it to clean the computer up, it runs very slow and this virus stops the clean up in it's tracks.

Anyone know of a free clean up for this computer that might get this computer back to running properly?
    Steve Balistreri

2. GoDawgs

GoDawgs Member

I would try Malware Bytes and Combo Fix. Both are free and good cleaning utilities.

3. Claymuncher

Claymuncher Member

I have had this a few times and I tried to fix them myself but I always ended up taking it to a computer mechanic in the end. He does it right and for
    $40.00 it is worth it. They have the software and they do it all the time.

CM

4. reddeath

reddeath TS Member

First find away to download combofix google the following "bleeping computer combo fix" and you will find it right away.
    Download the file to your desktop or a thumb drive (if you need to use a different computer)
    Re-boot the machine as it is booting keep hitting F8
    You will then be at a boot selection screen choose safe mode with networking (you have to pick this one since combo fix wants to update itself during the removal process)
    Navigate to the combo fix file and run it.
    Let it run and do it's thing once it is don't and you boot normally your problems should be gone.

If your machine is not infected too badly you can also try NPE norton power eraser or go to the Trend Micro website and run there free on line scanner house call. Both of these can be run with out going into safe mode.

When all is fixed with your machine - at the very least install microsoft security essentials this is a free anti-virus program.

Good Luck.

5. postmastertim

postmastertim Wheels are falling off.... TS Supporters

Malwarebytes

Then install Microsoft Security Essentials and Avast.

Tim

6. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Hell yes he is famous!

7. senior smoke

Ertz:
    Thank you for the info, and yes, they are my relatives.
    Steve

8. surfcitydude

surfcitydude Member

Do her a favor and get her a MAC. End of spyware, viruses and problems. Period!

9. senior smoke

Ertz:
    I'm in the school library and getting ready to go attempt to fix my mom's computer. I don't understand, what do people get out of it when they infect other people computers?

I went to Kopp's a week ago. I was at Webb's Saturday to meet a friend. Ernie VonSchladorn still says he has HUMONGUS VALUES?? I'll take his word on that one.
    Steve

10. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Do a system restore back to an earlier date when it was working good. If its a new computer it should only take about a half an hour. Then download AVAST anti-virus soft ware. It's free and I've been using it for over two years with no problems.

Wayne

11. quartering

quartering Active Member

if the virus stops the clean up in its tracks, what makes you think it won't stop another brand of clean up in its tracks? remember, you have to download the new clean up before you can run it - doesn't sound like your virus is gonna let that happen. good luck with it

12. postmastertim

postmastertim Wheels are falling off.... TS Supporters

RKill will disable the malware from a thumb drive.

13. X Trap 2

X Trap 2 TS Member

I would try the system restore first. It may do the trick for you. Should only take a few minutes.Ray

Start

All Programs

Accessories

System Tools

System Restore

....then select a day where the computer was working OK and restore it to that date. Your computer will restore and then it will restart itself and you can check to see if all is well. If not you might try an earlier day.

14. senior smoke

Thank you all for the computer tips. This was a very bad virus. Just 1 week ago I cleaned up my mom's computer and it showed no problems. My mom said she was attempting to get to her emails one day and a computer box came up and said" your firewall is attempting to stop us from allowing you to open the program that you have requested. Do you want the firewall to allow it?" She hit yes and then all he-- broke loose.

Every time you would attempt to go to a site, the computer would take you to another site for advertisements. The computer was very slow and nothing could be done. I hired a computer man and it took him 2 days and $100.00 later to fix.

He has placed "AVG2012" on her computer and it automatically tells you when a virus is attempting to get into your computer. You can then wipe it out in a few seconds.

Thanks again for all the help. Before I forget, I was not able to set my computer back to a certain date as the virus would not allow it. Also, the virus took off some codes so we could not get to the internet and AT&T had to give us the codes to restore it. It was a mess.
    Steve

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.