1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Computer Problem

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by wireguy, Jan 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

A friend sent me this description of what her computer recently did. I have no idea. Can anyone identify what this probably was?

On Monday in the AM I turned on the computer and nothing just a screen full of numbers and letters. The screen at the bottom said push F11 so I did still nothing until I tried it several times. The after two hours of the computer doing what ever it came back on. Everything looked different no (Internet Provider)or anything. After a few days some things came back. My (IP) is back to the normal screen but no favorites at all.

It's a PC bought at Wally World, not sure what brand. She thinks she has lost all her pictures.

2. GBatch_25

GBatch_25 Active Member

She needs the Geek squad. Unless it's still under warranty from Wal-Mart, then I'd take it back there. Honestly can't tell from her description what's happening.

Gene batchelar
    Wheaton, IL

3. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

She needs to find "System Restore". When she finds that she will be able to dial back to a date that the computer was healthy and then she needs to run her anti-virus and find the problem. I tis likely a Malware program that is essentially a virus now harvesting every move she makes on the internet.

4. deking00

deking00 Member

Sounds like she did a system restore which took it back to factory default.

5. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

On a system restore you dont lose pictures or other files

6. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

Thanks. System restore is a good idea.

7. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

She probably "Restored" the system from the recovery partition, if it's one of the HP machines that Wally World sells. That would mean she wiped the drive and started over, losing all of her settings and personal files. Check the link. HP Backup and Recovery Manager

8. fritzi93

fritzi93 TS Member

Yep, from the description, it certainly sounds like she did a recovery. Rolled back to as it was when bought, crapware and all.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.