1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Computer problem

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by steele, May 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. steele

steele TS Member

I am fighting an intermittant e-mail problem. I am using Windows Live Mail.
    Sporatically, it fails to transmit e-mails. It just sits in the OUTBOX. I don't get a error message of any kind. I know the addresses are correct, because I am trying to "reply" to a received e-mail. Some days I don't have any trouble. Now I haven't been able to send e-mails for 3 days. It is not the ISP, as I can use my home PC & phone e-mails without a problem. I don't even know where to start to look?? I'm trying to do a gun trade with another TS'er, & this is putting a kink in the transaction. Butch from Pgh

2. GoDawgs

GoDawgs Member

Butch,
    Can you tell us who your email is through? I.e., what's the part after the @ sign?

3. steele

steele TS Member

I have 2 e-mail addresses. XXXXX@comcast & XXXXXX@verizon. Both have the same problem. This is why I think I have an internal problem here.
    I too, wish I could have kept OUTLOOK EXPRESS.

4. steele

steele TS Member

Where do I find "options for e-mails"?? I can find "internet Options".

5. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

Butch,

It may be that the size of the attachments (pictures) is slowing down the works.

If Email works normally without attachments, then you need to find a way to reduce the size of the attachments.

Creating a .zip compressed file sometimes works.

The best bet if you have a large amount of data to send (as in pictures of your gun for sale) is to upload the pictures to a service like photobucket.com. That way the pictures are accessed through a link that the recipient of your Email can download. This eliminates the pictures being actually attached to the Email. Check out the link provided above.

Guy

6. steele

steele TS Member

I am not attempting to send pics/files, or any attachments. I try to send "TEST", & it will not go.

7. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

Is your internet access working normally otherwise??

I use comcast.net for all of my personal Email and rarely have a problem....

8. dgh

dgh Well-Known Member

your out going mail port is probably set wrong,,

Easiest way for me to tell you what to do is have you "google" (server port settings),,

Default is like 25 and should be like 587

best of luck

Doug

9. pyrdek

pyrdek Well-Known Member

How about going back to the simple steps.

1. Shut down the computer. Wait about ten seconds and then restart.

2. Unplug power to your router. Wait about thirty seconds or a minute, plug it back in and give it a chance to go through its power up sequence.

3. If you have any other things, like USB hubs, switches, printers, scanners etc. Unplug them and, leaving them unplugged, repeat Steps 1 and 2 with only keyboard and mouse connected. If you have wireless keyboard and/or mouse try to get a wired mouse and keyboard to try instead of the wireless. Also, if wireless KB or Mouse, make sure batteries are good.

10. steele

steele TS Member

Fixed it!!!!! Thanks to all that helped. I had to change the outgoing port server code to 587. I don't know why the verizon email was acting up, but it works too. I learned lots about PCs today. Thank you all again. Hope to see/meet some of you at Cardinal or Winchester in the next several weeks. Butch

11. dgh

dgh Well-Known Member

Butch,

Glad you got the mail working

Doug

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.