1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Computer Network question....

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by perazzitms, Apr 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. perazzitms

perazzitms TS Member

Since there's a wealth of 'other' knowledge here I have a quesion. I'm thinking about setting up a wireless network in a new house, as it seems simpler and less costly than having cable strung through walls that are already drywalled. Anyway, I have an older iMac, and was thinking of making it the server of sorts. Question is, if I load OS X onto it, and set it up, will my laptops running Windows 2000 play nice with it?

2. ljunatic

ljunatic Member

Most wireless networks use the router's DCHP server function to assign IP adresses via the wireless access point. This handles switching all of the traffic and eliminates the need for a server

3. smp005

smp005 Member

perazzitms,

The answer is yes.. and possibly... It depends on what you are looking to accomplish. Will both machines be able to utilize the wireless network to access the internet - YES. Will you be able to share files between the two machines - posssibly.. It will depend on how you setup the machines to share files. If you configure a windows PC (W2000, XP or Vista) to share a directory on the PC you will be able to browse to and access the shared directory on the machine running OS-X if the MAC has CIFS ("Windows File Sharing")support configured and the permissions are correct..

I get the impression you just want all the computers to be able to use the same wireless network to access the public internet. This will work fine but you must decide upon wireless security that all the computers support (such as WEP)...

Hope it help..........

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.