1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

computer local area connection question

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by wireguy, Aug 6, 2013.

1. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

My computer crashed so I'm borrowing this one until I can get back home from my Oregon journey. This computer was once part of a network. It shows that the local area connection 3 is unplugged and when I pull the connections page up it shows local area 4 is firewalled and connected.

I've never even heard of local area 4 connection. All I've ever dealt with is local area connection 3. Can someone explain what the difference is and should this no longer networked computer be returned to local area network 3 and 4 shut off? How?

2. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

It's just names for different configuration protocols. Think 'home' or 'office.'

It is working with 4, so just run with it for now. At some point you could clean out the unused ones, but if you are not comfortable with the process just leave it alone - it doesn't need much care or feeding.

3. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

Thanks, I have this icon constantly telling me 3 is unplugged. In my past this meant disconnected from the internet.

4. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

You most likely could delete the 3 connection...

5. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

No, I'd rather delete the 4 connection and attempt to re-establish the 3 connection and destroy the entire computer. Just the way I do things.