1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Computer help

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by tcr1146, Oct 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tcr1146

tcr1146 Well-Known Member

Help! My computer at home died and I am having a guru try to save it! He is totally reinstalling Windows XP and was half way through when they demand the license number! The sticker was not on the disk on the disk envelope and the computer frame did not have the sticker?! Is there anyway to recover this license number? I have a strange feeling that the local PC builder/seller is going to tell me that he gave that to him when I bought it! I am pretty sure I do not have the sticker from the time I bought it! Do I have any options other than buying another XP disk? Thanks, Tom Rhoads

2. unioncracker

unioncracker Member

Tom

Legally per microsoft a sticker should have been put on the machine when built. I don't know what brand or custom built. Your guru could have used a program like belarc to get the product id. Technically the number stays with the machine. If you are out of luck you might consider it time to upgrade to vista. Anyway it is good to get the product id and keep for your records.

3. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

Not unusual for "shadetree" computer builders to install the same copy of Windows on a bunch of computers. Basically, you're screwed.

4. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

DO NOT UPGRADE TO VISTA....it suxx!

IF you have to buy a new OS, get XP Pro...it is rock solid AND MS will be supporting it well past the life of that computer

5. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

You might find one here...

http://cracks.thebugs.ws/pages/a

or here..

http://www.serialz.to/

or here...

http://www.theserials.com/

I am assuming you had a legit copy (or felt you did) - this will give you access to various serial #'s.

You need to be certain you can 'up grade' to the 'verifiable' XP (SP3), or you will not be allowed to download the most recent updates.

As was said above, a lot of computer re-sellers put the same copy of the OS on multiple computers, you might end up screwed if this was the case. If an 'enterprise' or site license was used you should be OK.

Often a call to Microsoft can rectify the problem if you are polite, etc. they will usually give you a serial number for an 'older' product like XP when you explain what happened.

6. Jerbear

Jerbear TS Member

All computers that are built legally have the product key on the case of the computer. The product key goes with the hard drive, unless it dies and you replace the drive, at that point you use the PK and can call MS and ask them for another activation code. Be nice.....

The only exceptions, I know of, are the OEM's... i.e. Dell, HP and alike. Those computers usually have a restore disk or partition that you have to recover from.

Sounds like this computer was built with a corporate disk and you don't have the PK. Contact your friendly computer builder and buy another OEM copy of XP Pro with a key.

Vista is junk, Windows 7 doesn't look much better.

JMHO... Jerbear

7. bobdog

bobdog Active Member

If your old version of Windows is still runnable (eg, you didn't format the drive or you cloned the hard disk before you started), download a copy of Belarc Advisor. It will tell you product key you're looking for.

If you've already formatted, you're screwed, at least as far as it costs you for a new copy of XP. Personally, I wouldn't scrape dog crap off my shoes with a Vista DVD, and it probably won't run on your machine anyway.