1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

***COMPUTER HELP***

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Bvr Tail, May 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bvr Tail

Bvr Tail Well-Known Member

I need help with a computer problem.

For about 2 years, our system worked great. It came up quickly, was faster than my last PC, and had no flaws.

We kept the old monitor, a 22in. Westinghouse, since it was new about a year earlier.

Gradually, the computer took longer to send the message to the monitor, and the screen would not come on for some time.

Once it is on, it was still as fast, and no memory or speed loss.

Can anyone tell me why it is so slow for the monitor to come on?

I'm talking 20-25 minutes now for the system to come on screen, and this came about gradually, and slowly has taken this long to see the screen.

Thanks in advance

2. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

Sounds like the video card is failing.

Is it an 'on board' card (part of the motherboard) or was it an 'add on' card (stuck into one of te expansion slots?

Regardless a "new" video card, stuck into the PCI/PCI-e slot with appropriate drivers might solve the problem.

3. Avatar

I suspect you don't mean it takes that long for the monitor to start working, but that long for Windows to boot up and start working. If the latter, you probably have startup programs and routines that need to be removed. Use of a Windows system with the Internet tends to collect a lot of "dead wood" over time that can really slow things down--and that's assuming you don't have a virus or malware of some kind contributing to the problem. Is there sign of hard drive activity while you wait? It's even possible some anti-virus-type program is making you wait while it scans the machine upon startup.

Reinstalling Windows and all applications is one way to address the problem; but that's a pain...

Can you get some techie type to take a look at the machine to see if there's an easy fix?

4. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

In my area I have found through friends a good computer person. He will come to your house and work on your computer. You may need just a good cleaning of your computer. To many cookies, things running that you don't need to be running when your doing something. A virus. Ask around and see if the same name comes up with your friends and talk to the person. just had my computer done yesterday. Running great now.

5. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

Also this person I use dosen't advertise, word of mouth gives him all the customers he needs. To me thats a big plus.

6. Loyac

Loyac Member

Reinstall your operating system.

7. Bob M

Bob M Member

Is it a tube type monitor or a flat screen?

Does the hard drive 'chew' for the entire 25 minutes or are you spending the time waiting for the computer to start up and get to the desktop?

8. dhip

dhip Active Member

I lean towards video card problem,then monitor may need replacing especially if it's the older kind ,older tube types tend to heat up and get slower with time,,like an older tv screen,flat screen monitors are better,led,etc...Unless,as one pointed out,if you turn your computer off between uses,and if your anti virus program is set to run on start-up,then it could be the anti-virus program running and slowing down the process.After that,yes it could be computer clutter and a good cleaning program may be needed.Reinstalling operating system would be my last resort,and if you don't have the disc to do it,you have to find someone who can do it for you.Auctioneer also makes a good point,check around your local club,someone is bound to know a person who could help you out.

Doug H.(pa)

9. Bvr Tail

Bvr Tail Well-Known Member

Thanks for all the input.

It is a flat screen monitor, and while the computer is not in use, a small orange light is visible in the lower right of the monitor.

As soon as I move the mouse, the light goes out, and I can touch a key, and the system makes a "dinging" sound through the speakers.

After it has come on the first time, the light is green, and I can go back within 30 min. or so, and just move the mouse and it is right there, and as fast as ever.

Now, be advised, I an not very computer savvy, and was told that the problem "MAY" be that the signal is slow to get to the monitor.

With a granddaughter on here sometimes, it may have a lot of things stored on it, but again, I know very little about the inner workings of a computer.

Thanks

10. X Trap 2

X Trap 2 TS Member

Swap monitors with a friend. Either take yours there or get them to bring theirs to your house and see how they work on the other computer system. Then go from there. Make sure the power cord is plugged in good. Ray

11. trappypappy

trappypappy Member

Sounds like you have the registry full of junk and possible malware.

On the Internet search for Glary utility's and download the free version, also malware bytes free version and run these two utility's, re-boot your system after they have cleaned up all the junk.

http://www.glarysoft.com/glary-utilities/download/

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/malwarebytes-anti-malware/

After the programs have loaded, click scan then click repair.

Hank

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.