1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Computer help!!

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by esoxhunter, Oct 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

I spilled a small amount of water all over my keyboard. Now it seems to be "dead". I have been running a fan on it for about 3 hours, (to dry it out) but it still doesn't want to "wake up". Is it shot or should I just give it more time? Anybody had this problem? Thanks. Ed

2. luvnbearhugs1

luvnbearhugs1 TS Member

Replace the keyboard. It is probably shot. Unless it is a laptop, this is a cheap fix.

3. Jerbear

Jerbear TS Member

Is this a lap top or desk top? If a desk top you can buy a keyboard for $10.00 at you local computer store or ask a friend if they have any extra boards laying around. Laptops are different. the liquid may have seeped into the motherboard itself and more harm could have been done. Need more info. What kind of puter do you have... that's the first thing, then we can go from there.

<a href="http://photobucket.com" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

Here Fido.... oh where could he be?

Jerbear

4. esoxhunter

It's an imac. (desktop). I'll probably just have to buy a new one. I have an old key board from my Dell, but that won't plug into my imac. (I need a USD plug in) Unless I can buy an adaptor? Thanks. Ed

5. HarryK

HarryK TS Member

May just need a day or two to really dry out or afew hours in the sun tomorrow. Harry

6. KiloMike

KiloMike TS Member

Most likely, it just needs time to dry. Years ago, I worked at the county courthouse. You can imagine how nasty some of those keyboards got! We used to actually run the keyboards under the water and spray them clean. Take them out, shake and towel all the excess water out of them, and set them aside to dry for a week. These got recycled back into use and we almost never had any problems. Just give it a little time.

Just my .02

Kevin

7. revsublime

revsublime TS Member

i know that many modern keyboards can be taken apart and cleaned in the shower. take it apart and let it air dry. Being an iMac you'll probably not be able to get away finding a $10 keyboard.

8. Bob M

Bob M Member

Any USB keyboard should work. Macs are usually pretty forgiving as to what you plug into them. I don't know if you can get a $10 USB keyboard, but a $20-30 one, yes.

9. esoxhunter

I went down to WalMart and found one with a USB connection for $20. It didn't list that it would be compatible with the Mac. But I plugged it in and it works like a charm. I will place the other one on the shelf for a few days. Maybe it will come back to life. Thanks to everyone for the input. Ed