1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Computer help

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by bigbore613, Oct 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

Help anyone, I was typing some minutes two nights ago and went to the web to check spelling on a word. When I clicked on wikipedeia , all hell broke loose. hundreds of error boxes poped up and locked up windows 7. It tried to restart then asked to use system restore. I clicked OK and the computer restarted and seems fine. Only problem is it wiped everything, all documents pictures and saved favorites. I tried to restore it to a couple days back and it tries then shows error message. I know this D>A> did not have a backup. Any help greatly appreciated. Thanks, Jeff

2. tcouch

tcouch Member

I have used some data recovery software in the past that has helped with this problem. It will search your computer for a couple hours and find all the files that have been deleted. You can then restore them.

I would also recommend doing regular backups. Most USB hard drives come with some type of backup software that you can schedule. If your looking for a backup software, Macrium makes a great product that wont break the bank. It does an image backup, which means that if your computer would completely break you can restore from the image to any hardware.

Here is a link to some recovery software makers.

http://data-recovery-software-review.toptenreviews.com/

Let me know if you need help with anything.

Tim

3. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

Have no idea, but did you have more then one user account? Users cannot see each others saved data, to include favorites. Don't know how you have your computer set up, but you might be able to log in as administrator to view all data.

I'm just punting on the answer. Cost big bucks but the local Geek Squad can give you an answer one way or another.

4. Mr. Flinch

Mr. Flinch Member

Go to www.filehippo.com and do a search for PC Inspector File Recovery. This is a freeware program so it won't cost you anything but a few minutes to try. It actually works better than some programs that you purchase. If you need more help just shoot me an email at the address above. Mark.

5. reddeath

reddeath TS Member

It maybe just a virus / maleware attack. Odds are nothing is gone you just can't access it. That was part of the pay load of the attack. Here is what to do now! go to another computer download combofix (get it from bleepingcomputer site) store the program on a thumb/flash drive. Re-boot the computer and tap the f8 key as it boots. Next you will get a black and white screen giving you boot options select safe mode with command prompt. When you get the command prompt type in the address of the combo fix program EX. G:\combofix where g: is the flash drive. If you do not know the prefix type (starting with D) d:\dir then try f:\ ect. until you see the drive with combofix on it. Run the program and follow instructions. Most times your computer will survive the attack. As for data trust me it's there!

If all else fails find a teenager in your neighborhood he could do all this in minuites!!!!

6. Stonge

Stonge TS Member

Sounds like a virus there are lots of free anti virus and anti malwarebytes downloads . tryone of these real soon if not get help you could lose everything

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.