1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Computer help please.....

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by seaofgreen, Jan 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. seaofgreen

seaofgreen Member

Oct 26, 2006
    Use Firefox to re-install IE and go with IE 7+. This should help repair your IE problem. If not, then you probably are in for a much longer overhaul of your operating system (Windows XP or whatever your using).

2. SilverShooter

SilverShooter TS Member

Jan 21, 2009
    Hmmm...there could be other malware like spyware, redirectors, and hijackers -- and some of them change your IE settings deep in the bowels of the registry so recovery is very difficult. Best defense is a multi-layer approach using:

-- two malware removal tools like Spy-Bot Search and Destroy, and Lava Soft Ad-aware. These are freeware. Run whenever AV detects trojans.
    -- Use another software firewall like Sygate in addition to the Windows firewall. Sygate is freeware up to v12 I think -- current version is symantec which costs $$. This will prevent a host of malware but it's not perfect -- nothing is.

When infected or hijacked, boot up in safemode with no networking and run the software malware tools and the AV. Then restart normally and run the systems restore utility and restore to about 3 days before your PC became infected or hijacked

3. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Mar 14, 2006
    Try running Malwarebytes from www.malwarebytes.org. The free version is good enough. Be sure to update it before the scan and then run a FULL scan. When it's done, let it clean what it finds. It might be able to clean the bugs out of the registry. The SpyBot and Ad Aware programs are old and out dated. They are no longer as effective as they once were.

If the problem still persists, you could always do a system restore, to bring the system back to a time (restore point) when it worked. Then you can do the scans and clean it up if the IE issue is fixed.

These bugs can be very persisten and quite malicious, so it might be better to back up whatever files you need and then wipe the drive and start over. My take on this is once a system has been badly compromised, it's not able to be 100% trusted again.
  4. pyrdek

pyrdek Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 1998
    If you do indeed go the back up and save format then rebuild option, you should be sure to install ALL Windows updates, All Anti-Virus, spyware and firewall software and updates BEFORE you install ANY file you have saved for backup.

Then use your AV etc. software to scan the files you backed up PRIOR to installing them. It just might be that there is something "hiding" in one or more of your backed up files that will simply re-infect you.
  5. willing

willing Member

Jan 29, 1998
    E NorthCarolina
    I had the same thing 2 days ago. I couldn't get out of the thing except by using program manager. Then I restarted and did a full system scan with Norton. It took 1.5 hours. Fixed any errors it found. Then ran Spybot and then Adaware. Been running fine for 2 days. Using Win7.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.