1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Computer help needed

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by 686beretta, Aug 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 686beretta

686beretta TS Member

Hello everyone, please keep Jerbear in your thoughts and prayers his brother is having a medical emergency

Guys, I have tried everything trying to get this to work, and I am not being very successful. I check my e-mail through Outlook Express, when I check it, it ask me for my password, which it only does when something is wrong. I hit OK on the box, it says authorizing then it keeps coming up, and will not let me check my mail. When I hit cancel the message below comes up. I have avast anti-virus, and I am running Windows ME. Please help.

There was a problem logging onto your mail server. Your Password was rejected. Account: 'mail.bardstowncable.net', Server: 'mail.bardstowncable.net', Protocol: POP3, Server Response: '-ERR Authentication failed.', Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 0x800CCC90, Error Number: 0x800CCC92

2. 686beretta

686beretta TS Member

I am also getting this.....

Unable to logon to the server using Secure Password Authentication. Account: 'POP3', Server: 'POP3', Protocol: POP3, Server Response: '.', Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Error Number: 0x800CCC18

3. Andy Moreland

Andy Moreland TS Member

4. JPK1957

JPK1957 TS Member

This could be a ISP error. Maybe you provider's mail server has an error, or they have made a change that you didn't get info on. I'd make a call to my provider before making changes to my PC. It's a whole lot easier than un-doing changes you didn't need to make.

If they say all is well, let them check your Outlook Express settings with you to make sure they are correct. Hope this helps, John

5. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

Check this out...

[​IMG]

You may need to delete your account, exit O/E and Windows, go back in and re-establish your email account. You'll need to ISP info such as: POP3.YOURISPNAME.COM, etc.

6. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

I would call your ISP and confirm your OE settings. It sounds like a server error on their part if you haven't changed anything. It happens sometimes. My neighbor had a very similar issue, but it was on the sendmail side. The ISP's mailserver wasn't configured properly and they needed to fix it on their end. In any event, changing a bunch of stuff before you know if it's their problem, could put you deeper into the tank. Just verify your pop3 and smtp server configurations and that your password is correct.

7. pyrdek

pyrdek Well-Known Member

Just to not overlook the simple things, is the "Caps Lock" (shift lock) down per chance? Since passwords are case sensitive, having a properly spelled password but entering the password with the wrong case, even on only one character, will result in a password failure.

Today at work I had someone insist that the computer was bad because she could not log on. When I went to check it, I noticed my name was coming up in Caps. Hit the Caps Lock and then had her try to log in. When she succeeded, she kept asking what did I do. She would not believe that she must have hit the Caps Lock and that all I did was to return it to normal case.

The other possibility, did you change your ISP account password recently? If you did, Outlook does NOT automatically update the password that it sends to your ISP mail account server when it tries to access your e-mail account. You must go into the settings and manually enter the new password.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.