1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Computer help needed

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by hmb, Dec 31, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Recently got high speed cable hook up. Everything fine for a couple of days. Now computer has slowed down. I have a feeling it is processing a lot of unwanted info. Please help. I have the little e with the hallo. HMB

2. phirel

phirel TS Member

HMB- Computers can get so very frustrating. When you stated that the computer is slow, could you be more specific. Is it slow starting up? Is it slow printing or processing data? Is it slow posting on this site? Something does seem to have slowed this site down the last few days.

Pat Ireland

3. nipper

nipper TS Member

This site has been slow the last few days,all other ones i use load fine.

Bill

4. bobdog

bobdog Active Member

Did you install the free security software (e.g., McAfee, etc.) offered by the cable company? On top of your existing security software? Are you using IE7?

What speed do you get from http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest? I get 5889 down and 1589 up.

5. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Everything has slowed down. Downloaded security from cable after slowdown. Have Microsoft windows xp. Thanks HMB

6. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

HMB, it could be something as simple as re-booting your computer.

You might want to try that and see if that makes a difference.

Hauxfan!

7. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

There are multiple candidates here, and probably several culprits. The first place I'd check is the Anti-Virus you installed with the cable company's software. Poorly done, anti-virus is a resource hog. Also, it may be set to too aggressive a setting. For example, i used to use Kaspersky on my XP machines because it was so effective. However, you can adjust settings, in an attempt to be more secure, that cause the machine to slow to a crawl. My guess is that you have a single core processor. You've already stated you use XP, so anti-virus hogging resources is a significant problem.

Here is what I do. First, I do not load any of the software my ISP provides. You do not need it, and your machine will run faster without it. Sometimes the software is benign, as it they insert their logo for Microsoft's in IE, but other times it is much more of a drag.

Get a good router. It is 99.5% certain the unit they gave you is a pile of crap. Get one that includes SPI (Stateful packet Inspection), a very, very good security feature. Then use it in place of the unit furnished. If what they gave you is an everything in one unit, then just use it as a cable modem plugged into your real router.

Buy and install a good software firewall on you machine, and any others you would like to protect. Zone Alarm Pro is the best I've used and is pretty uncomplicated to use once you get used to it. A good software firewall should stealth all your ports, block web bugs and allow you to adjust what you will permit to enter your machine.

Then you need a good Anti-Virus program. My first choice would be anyone who licenses their anti-virus code from Sophos.

I'm not a slave to packages. I'd rather have the best of breed, even if it means individual software. I run Zone Alarm Pro firewall and Sophos Anti-Virus on my XP Pro SP2 machines, and Windows firewall (Zone Labs is slow about making Pro available for Vista) and Sophos AV on my Vista machine. Sophos is for businesses, and the minimum number of licenses you can buy is 5. However, if you buy from certain partners, you can buy three (for a higher price each).

If you want an all-in-one product, the two I'd use are Zone Alarm Internet Security or Norton Internet Security. Norton has gotten much better about resource utilization than they were previously.

Boost your system memory. It's really cheap and has a big impact on performance. XP needs 1GB to work properly and about 1.5GB to sing. Your machine most likely can take up to 4GB of RAM. Put at least 2GB in, replacing what you have if necessary. That will cost about $60 and be the biggest bang for the buck you can do.

You should seriously consider doing everything I've recommended, because your cable connection is an always-on connection. There are lots of people "out there" searching for machines they can exploit. Like using it to serve spam, or other much worse uses. If you are really unlucky, that may be a cause of your computer "slowdown". Get competently secured, fast!

8. bobdog

bobdog Active Member

My point was that if you already had a full security suite installed, such as Norton Internet Security, you've already got a full load of computer molasses (that arguably you don't need). Then you put on a couple of other security utilities (like Zone alarm, which you also don't need if you have a router), plus IE7, your computer is already a mess before you install the full McAfee suite that Comcast nags you to install.

You need to rethink how much security you really need. A router gives you all the inbound intrusion protection you need. Zone Alarm is useful only if you think you also need outbound protection, which I don't, or if it's a laptop you use on public networks, like hotels or airports (a bad idea, but that's another topic). The Windows firewall ought to be enough for a desktop. Then decide if you really need all the crap you get in Norton and McAfee - they not only overlap each other, but they're way more than most people need. Beyond a certain level of common sense, they're superfluous.

AVG antivirus is free for non-commercial use, and is arguably as good or better than Norton and McAfee. Regardless of what your favorite product is, use one and only one and call it good enough. Unfortunately, most home users are worried enough about security that there's no such thing as too much, and they overdo it, at the expense of acceptable performance.

If you use IE7, turn off the Pfishing Pfilter, unload all but one toolbar (do you really need AOL, Comcast, Yahoo and Google toolbars?), change your settings to delete temp files when IE7 is closed. Then reboot and try it again.

9. Pull Bang

Pull Bang Member

HMB, I am posting this as a comparison to our computers, it may or may not be of help/interest.

What bobdog states are some good points.

My computer is set up with the following:

Pentium (R) D CPU 2.80GHz (dual core)

.99 GB of Ram

Windows XP operating system.

Cable hook up for the internet. (Comcast Cable)

Anti virus and fire wall from MacAfee. (Free from Comcast and set for auto updates)

Ad-Aware SE Plus (the paid version) (Update regularly)

Spy Bot (Update regularly)

Windows Defender

I have Windows set for auto up dates. To date I have 40 updates from Microsoft.

I also have Pfishing Pfilter turned off.

Should you elect to change any thing/programs on your computer you should create a restore point.

My computer is running great, good luck.

Frank

10. Jerbear

Jerbear TS Member

Go here ... see if your infected.

Jerbear

11. X Trap 2

X Trap 2 TS Member

Use system restore and go back to a date your system was working fine.

See if all works fine now.

You would then have to re install anything that was installed after that date.

Install one at a time re booting and checking how it is operating after each install.

If it again runs slow you know it is what you just installed that is the culprit.

Go to start, run and type in msconfig and click on OK. It will show what all is starting when you start your computer. Select or click on the startup tab. Un check what you do not want or need. I unchecked a lot on mine. Ray

12. smartass

smartass TS Member

According to the Mac wackos, all you have to buy a Mac and you will never have another problem for the rest of your life.

13. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

ZZT, How can I tell what memory sticks I need to buy and where do you suggest to buy them? My computer is about 5 years old but has a 2 GHZ cpu but only .504gig RAM. I know that more ram will speed it up but didn't realize it would make that much difference. Thanks Jackie B.

14. Jerry944t

Jerry944t Well-Known Member

Go to Crucial.com. Search around the site. They have a way to test your computer and tell you what memory it alread has and what you can purchase from them to get it where you want.

They are a very reliable company with excellent products.

XP without 1 gb of memory will be slow.

Jerry

15. omahasportingsupply

omahasportingsupply TS Member

I have used this PCPITSTOP for .... since Tron started posted boat pictures, maybe longer. My down speed is 1675 kilobits per second just a few minutes ago (Cable modem). Your upload speed is usually significantly slower. It may not be the connection that is slowing your machine down. Like other posters have stated, you may now be getting a lot of updates and downloads which slow it down. Run all of the FREE tests and it will benchmark your computer and tell you the red flags, yellow flags, and checkered flags. You can print it out and refer back to it later to see if things have changed. It will also tell you how many RAM slots are empty, and what the maximum size RAM chip that can be installed per slot. Don't forget the disk cleanup and defrag on the hard drive to speed things up. Your kilobits may vary by night. Omaha

16. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Thanks to everybody for the help. Things are improving. HMB

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.