1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Computer help again!

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by tcr1146, Oct 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tcr1146

tcr1146 Well-Known Member

Okay guys! Thanks for the advice on the first go around! I gave up on trying to
    recover the disk and proper license number and bought the Windows XP Pro. I had it installed but my IT guy told me I needed to get a good antivirus protection program installed. Tell me how to do it and what do you recommend for the best protection!? Thanks, Tom Rhoads

2. tcr1146

Shocked that no one can advise?! Tom Rhoads

3. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

I would suggest Blink from e-eye.

It does not compare your OS with a list of known viruses - rather it looks at the actual processes occurring and compares them to what is expected - when the two do not match (e.g., spyware or virus activity) it warns you that something is amiss.

It truly works in the background so uses little processor resources.

The personal version is free...

David D

4. Pull Bang

Pull Bang Member

I have McAfee as provided free by my ISP, Comcast. I have it programed to check for updates daily. I have had ComCast since November 2006. To date I have not had any problems with any viruses.

Along with Windows XP you get Windows Defender. I update and run this program daily.

I also have Ad-Aware and Spybot. I update and run these programs weekly.

So far, with these four entities I have not had any viruses since I got this computer in November of 06.

Frank

5. omahasportingsupply

omahasportingsupply TS Member

Some ISPs are now providing anit-virus software free to subscribers. This saved me about $80 per year since I protect multiple computers. This has helped reduce the number of viruses stored on ISP servers. Many large corporations still stick with McAffe or Norton anti-virus software. Your Virus May Vary Omaha

6. tcr1146

Thanks guys! By the way, a guy at work swears by AVG which is free for the latest version! What do you know about it? Tom Rhoads

7. Jerry944t

Jerry944t Well-Known Member

Tom a friend of mine it chief IT guy in a large corporation and swears by AVG

8. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

I have Norton on and it works for me. I put AVG on my cousin's computer and it is working for him.

There are a lot of choices out there.

Just make sure you use something!!!

Hauxfan!

9. widomaker

widomaker TS Member

We use Trend Micro on the Windoz boxes in our house. Used to use Symantec's but it got too bloated and slow to run. My wife and I use Mac's

10. Unsingle

Unsingle Member

I have the free version of AVG and just love it. I haven't had a problem since I installed it a year ago. I also use Mozilla Firefox. Far fewer problems with it.
    Go to the AVG website for the free download. Try it for free - you'll like it.

11. bobdog

bobdog Active Member

The main issue with the big commercial packages is the load they place on your system. I've seen laptops take a full five minutes to boot with Trend Micro's package installed, and almost as bad with McAfee and Norton.

I've been recommending AVG to our consulting clients for the past several years, as have the other consultants I work with. You could do worse.

12. TEXASZEPHYR

TEXASZEPHYR Member

my isp recommended avast. it free and seems to do really good like it even better that avgfree

bob

13. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

tcr1146 I don't know what you have for an Internet provider or what method you have(dialup,cable or DSL)but most cable provider offer a free program I use the one that my cable provider offers and have been very satisfied with it and have been for the last 5 years.

I tried Norton when I bought my laptop(a free subscription) it was in my machine for 2 days and I deleted it. I found that it slowed my unit almost to a crawl.

Bob Lawless

14. bobcatv

bobcatv TS Member

AVG, I run it on all my computers (6). I haven't had a problem with any virus for many years. Easy to use, Fast, automatic downloads of updates.

15. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

Windows Live One Care has tremendous support. If you have a problem you talk via phone or email to a rep and they stay with you until the problem is resolved.

16. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

everyone seems to recommend intalling these three: AVG, Adaware, and Spybot.
    They're all free.

17. Pull Bang

Pull Bang Member

I might add that: I purchased the paid version of Ad-Aware 2008 Plus. I paid $19.95 back in 06. The main reason that I got the paid version is the "free updates" that I use weekly. There are several other advantages with the two paid version of Ad-Aware.

You can go to the URL above and compare the three versions of Ad-Aware: Pro, Plus & free.

Frank

18. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Avast or AVG for the antivirus and Comodo for the firewall. All three are free, but may require registration.

19. Baber

Baber TS Member

Guys....

Simple answer... Nothing.... Dump the junk and buy a Macintosh. Have not needed any antivirus junk for 20+ years. No need.

Tom

20. pyrdek

pyrdek Well-Known Member

Have used AVG (free version) on some systems. and had no problems. On my main PC I was running Zone Alarm (the full suite not just the free firewall). It also worked fine. When the subscription was just about up, I had a different system I was installing and the free AVG license was ruled out because it was going on a system that did not qualify because of what it was being used for. I bought the Kapersky suite for this unit. It came with a three PC license and there was only one system to put it on so Kaspersky replaced my Zone Alarm Suite when the subscription ended.

Other than having to go through the "learning" process for the firewall to determine who is allowed in automatically, everything set up and ran great. The learning process asked me every time a new attempt was either incoming or outgoing (I had set it for this mode so I could see what was going on.) for maybe a week and then it settled down and followed my settings until a new address was hit. In other words I selected a more operator involvement mode and it did just what it was supposed to do.

I hit one web site, from a previously known good source, and the firewall just about went nuts. There were maybe fifteen or twenty attempts to send an outbound packet to a number of different ports at the same IP. I denied each one, then maybe 5 minutes later the same thing happened but with the same IP but a whole different set of ports. I blocked them too.

Just for kicks I tried it on another system that was scheduled for rebuilding (a "honey pot" concept) using one of the other firewall programs but I can't recall which one, and that firewall didn't detect anything but not very long after that, a whole bunch of new processes started on the computer and operations slowed down. When I went back to the site, it was "not available". A day or two later it came back and Kaspersky didn't have a problem. I guess they found some virus or such on the web site and cleaned it out. Overall I was quite impressed with Kaspersky. My system runs faster than with Zone Alarm and a whole buch faster than when Norton/Symantic was on the system.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.