1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Computer has habit of shutting down

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Onceabum, Feb 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Onceabum

Onceabum TS Member

My computer (part of a network) sometimes shuts down when I'm away from it. Anyone have a reason why this happens? Thanks.

2. Mike Battista

Mike Battista Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Go into Control Panel and open the Power Options. See what your settings are for when your computer powers down or goes to sleep.
    Mike Battista

3. dhip

dhip Active Member

Have the same problem,done what was said and went everywhere else to see f a program is shutting it down.No luck yet,seems to have started happening after the last Microsoft update,I swear they infect your conputer intentionally when you run a program they are trying to obsolete.Happened when I ran 2000,now happening with XP.Wife got the 8 on her new one,HATE it,stupid ap program is just too confusing for this ol geisser.

Doug H.

4. pyrdek

pyrdek Well-Known Member

If it is an older system and/or is being used in a area where dirt, dust and such can build up, it is also possible that you have blocked or restricted air flow which can result in temperatures climbing to where the computer can shut itself off to protect itself. Check your fans, CPU and any other heat sinks to be sure they are not covered and the fans are running at normal speed.

You may also want to re-seat any and all connectors that you see. Also re-seat the memory chips. Sometimes a bad DIMM or poorly seated DIMM can cause intermittent shut downs.

I am presuming that you have clean AC power without any bad sockets, loose connections, pets that might bump the cords or such.

5. jakeduke

jakeduke Member

pyrdek is correct most of the time it is over heating or a bad stick of ram in most cases.

6. deadeye45

deadeye45 Member

That happened to me and my computer guru says your compter has the 'flu'.
    Try and download, malwarebytes antimalware and spyware antispyware and CC cleaner. Ms security essentials. The run them. That might help.
    good luck!

7. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Often is a signal that the "muthaboard" is overheating.

8. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

You could try using system restore. Pick a date when the computer was working well. HMB

9. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

So, what worked?

10. Trussman2

Trussman2 Active Member

A power supply going bad (or undersized) may do this as well......

11. Uncle Screech

Uncle Screech Member

Check your anti-virus software, mine has an option to shut down after a scan that I had to "de-select". Personally I don't see the utility of this setting but it's been there for many versions so I assume someone finds it handy.

It is more than possible that an MS update would do this too but you should be able to control that in your Update Settings.

Greg

12. Onceabum

Onceabum TS Member

My "go to" computer person came over, did a couple of things (which I didn't understand) repositioned the computer, then cleaned the inside. Removing the heavy dust from the fan had to have helped. Will have to wait a few days to see if that solved the shutdown problem. Sure thank you shooters for your helpful suggestions.

OAB

13. Bird30

Bird30 TS Member

A power supply going bad (or undersized) may do this as well..Trussman2

What Trussman said, That was what was wrong with mine. They call it BLUE SCREEN.

Dave

14. Jerbear

Jerbear TS Member

Get some canned air and clean the fans and power supply. Spray the motherboard and any video cards with a fan.

Jerbear

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.