1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Computer connection problem

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by phirel, Jan 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. phirel

phirel TS Member

This morning, on one of my computers I got the following message when trying to connect to trapshooters.com

hosting for this domain is not configured or there's no such domain registered in Plesk.

I have been using this computer to get on this site for a couple of years and today it seems to no longer recognize trapshooters.com. What has happened? I can get into trapshooters.com on my other two computers.

Pat Ireland

2. Jerry944t

Jerry944t Well-Known Member

Try deleting your cookies. It may help.

Jerry

3. snow

snow TS Member

I have to same problem on one of my computers. How do I delete cookies.

Thanks.

John

4. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Use the search function in your computer to find the "cookies" file.

there may be a delete cookies function. If you delete them all you will have to log in with password on sites that you visit.

You can selectively delete cookies also. Hold down the control key and highlight what you want gone, then hit the delete button.

It's amazing how many cookies you get infested with if you surf much.

HM

5. X Trap 2

X Trap 2 TS Member

For your cookie location.....

If using internet explorer go to:

Tools

Internet Options

On the General tab there will be a button in the middle to delete them.You can also delete your temporary internet filed to clean up your computer and maybe speed it up some too.

The next time you visit your favorite sites it will take longer as it will have to reset your cookies for that site. As said above you will have to re submit your information. Ray.....

6. Capt. Morgan

Capt. Morgan TS Member

...and if you're using Firefox (which you really should be doing anyway) the path is Tools >> options >> "Privacy" >> "Show cookies" . You then have the option to either delete all of them or only selected cookies.

Morgan

7. snow

snow TS Member

Thank you guys for your help.

John

8. X Trap 2

X Trap 2 TS Member

Since edit is not working for me at this time...

Now if you want to block cookies from a particular site go to:

View (at top of screen)

Select Privacy Report

Now highlight a web site

When you highlighted a site you noticed a new box showed up that says summary. Click on it.

You can put a dot by Never allow this Site To Us A Cookie.

You can put a dot by Allow This Site TO Use A Cookie.

Or,and this is how I have mine,Compare Cookies' Privacy Policy To My Settings.

You can also right click on a listed site and it will show the checked selection for that site. Ray.......

9. david

david Member

I was having a problem with the server yesterday and the web service for trapshooters.com wouldnt start and you would get that default hosting page.

david

10. widomaker

widomaker TS Member

Pat empty your cache also look at your host or hosts file and mike sure some spyware hasn't altered it also look at the dns servers your using as if your ip is static and not dhcp they might have changed .

Martin

11. phirel

phirel TS Member

I have deleted all cookies and emptied the cache. Still have the problem.
    Martin- I am not smart enough to know what a static ip and a dhcp is. I will do a spyware search if I can remember how.

Pat Ireland

12. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

As David explained, it was probably a system error on his end. As for deleting "cookies" and Temporary Internet Files", it's easily done right from Internet Exploder. Go to the "Tools" link at the top of the page and select "Internet Options". You will see a button to delete temporary files under the "Browsing History" heading. Delete cookies and temporary files there. You can also delete your browsing history and stored passwords as well. If you don't see the "Tools" menu. just right click near the top of the page by the address bar and make sure that the "Menu Bar" is checked.

Another bad thing that can happen is that your "Hosts" file may become corrupted or "hijacked". Some malware can do this to redirect you to pages you don't wish to visit. That's a more complex fix.

13. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

The last problem I had similar to your problem I went to system restore and picked a date when the computer was operating OK and folloowed cues. HMB

14. XP100

XP100 Well-Known Member

Hold down control button and hit refresh. It took me to TS.com

15. mercedesman1981

mercedesman1981 TS Member

Pat,

I think none of the solutions offered thus far will work as the problem resides with your ISP (internet service provider).

The key to the puzzle is Plesk.

Plesk is hosting software ISP's use to assist with their DNS (that's domain name service) servers. DNS is what is used instead of everyone remembering number sets (those static ip addresses referred to in an earlier post).

try this:

open a web browser
    on the address line: http://64.38.48.106

You will get a hotlink on the left side of the page, click on it.
    You will get a near exact copy of the previous page, but will near the bottom of the box will be a hotlink for: http://www.Trapshooters2.com

Click on that and the web page will come up.

You can also try trapshooters2 to see if it will come up that way.

you may have to wait a bit before the website comes up, but it should.

I would then call your ISP and tell them of the problem.

Good luck,

Mike Senko
    Seattle

16. berettaman7

berettaman7 TS Member

I don’t believe any of the discussed causes were to blame; the reason was that David was retooling the access to the website to have each and every poster agree to the new terms of use.

Berettaman7

17. mercedesman1981

I thought perhaps that was it too Berettaman7, but the Plesk keyword in Pat's post indicated to me there is a DNS problem with his ISP. In other words, the DNS server at his ISP couldn't find trapshooters.com's ip address so that is why I looked it up for him.

He could simply try another DNS server if he knew how to set it up on his computer. Here is an easy one to remember, try it if you can Pat, or email me and I'll tell you how to set it up on your computer, (quite easy really), try 4.2.2.1 or 4.2.2.2 - either should work for dns queries and clear out the problem.

Mike

18. phirel

phirel TS Member

Mike- I suspected the problem was with my IPS provider (AOL). When I try to log into TS.com directly through AOL I still get the error message. When I use Explorer as my browser, I get into the site. I am stuck with AOL for business reasons.

I am sure your simple recommendations are good. Perhaps if I read them a few more times, I might gain just a little understanding of what you posted, but now they seem quite confusing.

I have used computers for many years. My first one used cpm, not ms-dos, as the operating system. But, I understand very little about these contraptions.

Pat Ireland

19. phirel

phirel TS Member

I think I have it fixed. David did do some server up grades and this confused the "trapshooters.com" address in my favorite places. I deleted that address from my favorite places and reinstalled it and every thing now seems to work.

The basic problem was a corrupted address in my favorite places list. Fixing some problems is very simple once you figure out what to fix and how to fix it. But, if you don't know either of these, it gets very confusing.

Pat Ireland

20. mercedesman1981

Good news Pat, glad you are up and running.

What I was trying to get to earlier is there is more than one way to get skin a cat, so the saying goes. Its easier for us to remember names then numbers so there is a plethora of servers (for all the isp's and organizations that need them) called dns servers. This is where they connect the names to numbers (like house numbers) so you can get to the website you are looking for. There is a command you can use to find out some of this information.

If you are at the command prompt, try typing in:
    c:\nslookup trapshooters.com

you will be given two addresses, one is your dns address, the other is the actual numerical address of this website which you can substitute into the url on your browser: http://64.38.48.106

There is a file on your computer you can set up so your computer will look there first before going to the dns server. It is called the hosts file and it acts like a mini dns server. Yours is most likely empty of all but the 'local host' and its address because you use the dns service as provided by AOL.

Way overkill here, I know a little about computers and the internet and can't shoot worth beans but wanted to try to help you out as you have helped myself and so many others with trapshooting.

Mike

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.