1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Compressed air v's Canned air

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by kiwiG, Aug 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kiwiG

kiwiG Member

Compressed air v

Hi Guys, I usually give my guns a more comprehensive clean once a year. I have not been able to do trigger groups as I don't have a compressor. Is 'canned' air just as good, or do the propellants have harmful effects on metalwork. Thanks in advance-Graham.

2. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

Canned air is probably far better than compressed air, as it is well filtered and has been dried in a refrigerant type dryer. That is why it is made for small fine parts. Any problem would be from dropping the temperature of the part enough where the moisture in the room air turns to condensation on the part. I have used the "70psi" canned air on fine parts with good results. You should be fine.

3. goose2

goose2 Well-Known Member

I disagree. I have used both and the compressor is the only way to go. The canned air will shoot out some liquid if the can is tilted wrong.
    Put a filter that dries the air for the compressor and drain the liquid out of the tank on occasion and you got it. In the long run much cheaper also.

4. X Trap 2

X Trap 2 TS Member

He does not have a compressor. Use the canned air. Less moisture is always better. Ray

5. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Just use Gun Scrubber. It vaporizes quickly without forced air. Be sure to wear a rubber glove as it will remove all the oil from your skin. Do it outside and let the trigger assembly set in the sun for a couple of minutes and all of the solvent will evaporate.

Jim Skeel

6. phirel

phirel TS Member

K1W1- I doubt that it makes any difference at the same pressures. With a compressor, you can get more force than with canned air and it is easer to get a larger volume of air with a compressor.

For many years, I cleaned my gun using compressed air. I had a compressor in my shop that was not turned off for many years. I stopped using the compressed air after I blew off two E-clips from my K-80. I now use a can of solvent and a paint brush.

You can soak your gun and take it to a filling station and blow it out with compressed air. If you buy some gas, usually the air is free. You can put a $3 adapter on the air hose and get a forceful blast of air where you want it. You could also hang around the club and make friends with someone who has a compressor.

Pat Ireland

7. Old Texas Marine

Old Texas Marine Member

I use a compressor on the annual "tear every thing down" to really get all the gunk out of every nook and cranny. I have a dryer in-line so as to not introduce water into the inaccessible areas. Normal cleanings are brake cleaner then Break Free and Lubri-Plate 105 or CMD, depending on the application.

The compressor allows me to liberally spray Break Free on the parts and then be able to blow off the excess.

Never tried the canned air. I assume it is dry since it is used on electrical parts.

HBT

8. Bruce Em

Bruce Em Member

Canned air is actually a liquid chemical that evaporates to generate gas for the spray. Otherwise it wouldnt last very long

Stuff isnt good to breathe either, read the label

regards

9. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Why not just dip the part in acetone? That stuff is cheap and generally smells ok when purchased at the drugstore. Keep the acetone away from the stock and anything painted. Skeet shooters generally shun acetone for some odd and obscure reason...

10. 221

221 Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Acetone is highly unhealthy.....Why would a drug store sell Acetone? Meth lab maybe?

11. omahasportingsupply

omahasportingsupply TS Member

For around $25 you can get an attachment that will both dry the moisture out of the air and also regulate the amount of air pressure. Since some of the compressors can get up to 145 PSI, you may need to reduce the pressure for certain applications. Easy to install and makes your tools more versatile. Some compressors have a dial which allows you to select your pressure. Blowing out powder spills or your collet works much better with a compressor instead of canned air. IMHO. Omaha

12. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Desiccant type moisture traps, as described above only help a little in removing water from compressed air. No matter what type of compressor you use, from a reed, rotary or cylinder compressor, the only way to eliminate 99% of the moisture from machine compressed air is with a air conditioning system between the compressor and down stream.

It would take many, many desiccant dryers to even be half as efficient as the AC unit. Any thing less and you will be applying a mist of H20 mixed with air to what ever you blast.

13. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

Barry,

What do they run and who is a good supplier. I have a craftsman compressor and have trouble with moisture.

Guy Babin

14. Jon Reitz

Jon Reitz Well-Known Member

Interesting thread. The other day I blew out some hulls that I shot at an ATA shoot in the rain a few days earlier. They were deprimed and all was well until I felt moisture from the condensation inside the air compressor tank. I drained it and started over only to experience some moisture again. This time of year it's hard not to get it. So I then for some canne air instead. Guess what? You got it...moisture there too.

15. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

Just a little FYI,,,,when you use the compressor, WEAR SAFETY GLASSES,,,,an acquaintance of mine lost the sight in an eye as he tried to blow wood shavings out of his hair,,,,the pressure from the air was too much and he lost his ocular fluid pressure....

Can't tell you how many times I have done something similar,,,,I guess God watches over children and idiots.....

16. schockstrap

schockstrap Active Member

I think you make this stuff up. Where did you get the idea that acetone is highly unhealthy? Highly flamable, yes, but I don't think exposure to acetone has ever been linked to long-term health effects. You wouldn't catch me swimming in it or drinking it, but as a solvent acetone is one of the safer things out there. I believe most drug stores sell acetone as nail polish remover...

--Dan

17. Barry C. Roach

Air conditioning dryers are pretty expensive but they are the only thing that works adequately. The last one I sold ( in 1999 ), before I retired, for a small two cylinder air compressor was about a grand installed and piped. I looked in Grainger for you and there is one there for about $700.

That was the list price though. I'd call them to get a more competitive price if you're interested and get prices from other "industrial supply" companies. They are thick as flies out there.

If you have a small compressor then I'd tell them why you want to dry the compressed air and they may recommend something more economical. Good Luck.

18. 221

Didn't anyone go to school?????

<em>How can acetone affect my health?
    If you are exposed to acetone, it goes into your blood which then carries it to all the organs in your body. If it is a small amount, the liver breaks it down to chemicals that are not harmful and uses these chemicals to make energy for normal body functions. Breathing moderate- to-high levels of acetone for short periods of time, however, can cause nose, throat, lung, and eye irritation; headaches; light-headedness; confusion; increased pulse rate; effects on blood; nausea; vomiting; unconsciousness and possibly coma; and shortening of the menstrual cycle in women.

Swallowing very high levels of acetone can result in unconsciousness and damage to the skin in your mouth. Skin contact can result in irritation and damage to your skin.

The smell and respiratory irritation or burning eyes that occur from moderate levels are excellent warning signs that can help you avoid breathing damaging levels of acetone.

Health effects from long-term exposures are known mostly from animal studies. Kidney, liver, and nerve damage, increased birth defects, and lowered ability to reproduce (males only) occurred in animals exposed long-term. It is not known if people would have these same effects.</em>

19. Barry C. Roach

Addendum: You can buy a hell of a bunch of Gun Scrubber or equivalent, for the price of an air dryer.

20. 221

schockstrap......I never need to make things up.....You will find theres enough knowledge available for everyone. We used to think MEK, Trichloroethane, fire extinguisher fluid, propolene oxide and a lot of other chemicals were ok as long as we didn't swim in them,,,,,,,,,,,Fortunately we wised up.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.