1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Comprehensive auto insurance claim?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Bisi, Jan 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

I just looked out the back door and saw that my dusk to dawn light was gone. We just had a high wind cold front go through. Went out to investigate and saw the telephone pole it was mounted on was laying across one of my work trucks. It smashed in the front fender and hood. I couldn’t get the hood open. I have comprehensive insurance on all the trucks. This one is a 94 F250 4x4. I assume that is what comprehensive insurance is for, falling trees, act of God, etc.. .

My question is - if I make a claim is this going to jack up my insurance rates? This was nobody’s fault. I’m already insurance poor now, don’t need any more rate increases.

I’ve been told not to make a claim on home owners insurance unless it is really major because insurance companies are looking for a reason to drop you.

2. MGRAY

MGRAY TS Member

Bisi, Most Ins companies do not merit rate for comp claims since your not at fault, but you could have loss of discount or rate hike due to inflation or experience (number of claims). Turn the claim in and I'm sure your claim handler can advise you. Marty

3. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Tufn it in and collect. The dirty bastards deny anything that's the least bit iffy.

I had an unknown shopper ram a lumer loaded cart at Home Depot into my back fender, Insurance company told me that was a "collision" and they would not pay.

Screwed for another 450 dollars.

HM

4. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

HM, could that be because you couldn't provide them with someone to collect the damages from and you have $500 deductible? Not putting you on the spot but we all know the policies are littered with wiggle words....Bob Dodd

5. tom berry

tom berry Active Member

bisi, you should probably turn it in unless the damage is less than your deductible. Since this was a work truck, I'm guessing it is insured on a commercial policy. The commercial market is so soft right now that one comp claim isn't going to make any difference on your renewal.

halfmile, doesn't sound like the company denied your claim. They adjusted your claim and the damage was probably less than your deductible or you chose not to carry collision coverage. Where did you think coverage should come from?

6. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

It wont go under the homeowners but rather on your auto comp coverage

7. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Why don't you talk to YOUR insurance agent??? There are to many ifs to give you a specific answer. If he won't give you that advice then get another agent.

halfmile; talk to your agent about "broad form" collision if available in your state. Then your dumb claim would have been paid.

If you are direct internet insurance buyers then you deserve what you get.

Don

8. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

lots of misinformation

there is kind of a theory- its accident prone or claims prone people- they get higher rates or denied coverage- doesnt matter if you are "charged" with a collision loss or not--

you may be able to figure this out under state law but unlikely

--------

another way to approach this might be the utility company - if they own the pole- file a demand on them

regards from Iowa

9. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Comprehensive is one approach. You used the term "telephone" pole, but in reality is it a telephone pole or pole you erected in the yard?! In that situation it may be a possible homeowners claim.

Question - by chance is the homeowners and truck in surance from the same company? In some instances they waive deductibles when both the car and home insurance are from the same outfit (I've had that happen on that rare instanmce when two people hit each other with the same insurance company).

Best recommendation - call agent or broker who sold you the policies.

Jay

10. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

Talked to my agent today and she said not to worry about it. They will cover it and she doesn't believe my rates will go up. She told me to get an estimate and to bring it by the office.

The estimate is for $1850!!! 1 front fender and a hood. I might want to go into the body repair business. On the estimate they have 12 hours figured for painting. Like I said it is a plain jane work truck. White paint, no extra trim, no metalflake. 12 hours to paint a new hood and fender, white??

I even told em - I'm not that particular. The lady at the body shop said at their place they either do it right or not at all.

Bisi

11. X Trap 2

X Trap 2 TS Member

See if you can get a white one from a wrecking yard and have someone just install them for you.

Will save a lot of money. I did this on a daughters car with hail damage. Ray.......

12. phirel

phirel TS Member

GN7777777- Making a claim against the utility company probably will not work. If a neighbors tree falls on your house due to strong winds, the neighbor has no responsibility unless he knew the tree was rotten and would probably fall on your house.

Pat Ireland

13. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Jimmy: I am not a fan of any of the direct co. and that includes AIG,
    E-insurance and any of the others. We are a Progressice and AIG agency and you ought to see the after the fact messes that people bring in and want us to fix the problem. They get really burned when we tell there is nothing we can do - they have to call their direct contact. Either pay for an agent or talk to some young thing that has been on the job about twenty minutes. Progressive will allow the policy to transfer to an agent if the customer requests it, the others don't give you that option. Gieco and E-insurance don't have any agents to transfer to.

In addition the scumbags have figured out that they can go on line get auto insurance for 30 days, get their license plates, then drive uninsured for 11 months.

Don

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.