1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Compound Bows

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Setterman, Apr 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Personally, I'd pick a Matthews, but Hoyt's are good bows too. At some time you may need some service. What does your best/close dealer handle?

2. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

I've had both although its been sometime since i updated.

Bought a Mathews Z-Max Solo Cam back in the mid to late 90's. I shot it up until 2005 or so when i bought a Hoyt Vipertech Cam and a 1/2. The Mathews was the first solo cam bow. It was smooth and fast. I bought the Hoyt just because i wanted something new. Their new Cam & a 1/2 was making news with the easily tunable twin Cam. I ended up selling the Mathews. I still shoot/hunt with the Hoyt. The truth is, i don't know that i gained anything going to the newer Hoyt Vipertech over the older Mathews Z-Max. They are both Top Notch bow manufactures. You really can't and won't go wrong with either. If there is a better Bow manufacture out there than Hoyt and Mathews, you'd have to prove it to me.

Setterman makes an excellent point with the local dealers choice. Nice to have someone close that sells your bow for those Warranty issues. They happen.

3. shamlin

shamlin Member

Here is my take on it, and I shoot for one of the major manufacturers, which I will not name, so I can be as un-biased as possible. Mathews makes a great bow, but they are extrememly over-priced due to the fact they spend more on sponsorships, tv, media, etc. Hoyt makes a great product, especially with their new all carbon tubular risers. Bowtech makes great bows, with their cam technology leading the way. PSE also has great equipment, but very radical cam designs. Elite, Strothers, New Breed, and Athens all make excellent equipment that is priced much lower, but competes head to head with the Big 3! Bear archery has come a long way in the last 4 years. So to answer your question I would consider 2 things; what does my closest dealer carry and is that dealer good at servicing the equipment. And am I primarily going to hunt, target, or combination of both. There is no way I would limit myself to Hoyt/Mathews when there are so many more good bow companies making great equipment at a variety of attractive prices.

4. BAD 303

BAD 303 Active Member

I have to agree on the service(proshop)advice. Probably without a doubt Hoyt makes the most bulletproof bows of all manufactures. And Mathews has the hype factor from all the advertising. If i had an Elite dealer close by that would be my choice just because they offer a lifetime warranty not only for the original owner but for any owner. They are the only ones in the industry that offers that. And their finish and components are second to none. Been shooting an Elite for three years and they are an awesome company. Check out Archerytalk.com and you can spend days readinmg about any archery equipment you can imagine. Not to mention the thousands of used bows for sale. Of the two mentioned by you i prefer Hoyt.

5. WarEagle2017

WarEagle2017 Active Member

Bowtech forget the rest

6. mono1393

mono1393 Member

Mathews

7. setool

setool Member

I and several friends, all of whom are excellent hunters and shooters, have all owned Mathews at one time or another. Now, none of us do. We all had our own unique set of problems with them.

Most of these guy's, and myself, now shoot Bowtech. We all are very happy with their performance.

Mark Schneider

8. vpr80

vpr80 Active Member

Ok so on the topic of bows, I had a chance to try out a friend's Mathews Z7 and was incredibly impressed with it. I've never shot a compound bow before and it was really awesome shooting it. He got it to get into turkey bowhunting.

I don't really hunt, but it was really fun shooting it so I wanted to pick one up just for some fun shooting in the back yard. I was looking around online and it seems the better new ones will easily hit $1K with all the add-ons. Which is basically more than what I wanted to spend on a toy.

Where is a good place to buy a used one? <BR>
    Also any specific recommendations for a good quality recreational model?

Thanks

9. handlepuller

handlepuller Well-Known Member

I always have shot Mathews and I've really liked them. But like the guys have said if you don't have a dealer nearby I'd go with something else.

Most dealers will usually have a bunch of used bows that they've taken in on trade. Since a lot of guys like to update often, I'd bet you'll be able to find a good, used bow that's not out of date.

10. Barkingspider21

Barkingspider21 Member

Bought my first Hoyt in 1967, it was a "Pro Medalist, 70 in in lenght 28" draw won the New England Open if the freestyle in 1969. bought a 2005 Viper tech 2 years ago, still shoot it but not much as I used to, shoulders are giving me trouble and trap shooting is more fun to me at 72 years of age.
    Woody Sullivan, Orlando Fl

11. DB3006

DB3006 Member

Go to a dealer that carries more then one brand. Just like your trap gun it has to fit. Shoot a few bows and buy the one that feels and shoots best for you. DB3006

12. luckyshot

luckyshot TS Member

i have a hoyt trikon xl. whisker biscuit rest , pendulum sight. and arrows to go with it.575.00 shipped in the usa

13. Draht Guy

Draht Guy TS Member

I shoot a Mathews Switchback, its real smooth and has been a great bow. The Mathews dealer closest to me told me to keep my switchback b/c their newer designs aren't as nice as their older ones. Now this dealer also sells other brands and I don't know if there's internal issues between the dealer and Mathews but I thought it was interesting.

BTW, I used to shoot Hoyt and don't have a bad thing to say about them either. I haven't shot any of the other brands but heard good things about Bowtech.

14. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Not to get off subject but my only local archery shop carries the Diamond line by Bowtech...the main reason I'm considering this particular bow is I have a very short draw and the have a model that is adjustable from 21" to 29" and is a 60# that can still drive a shaft at 300fps...Anybody else have any experience with them?? I had heard of Bowtech before ,..but not Diamond

15. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Those BowTech and Diamond bows are good Bows too. I didn't care for them and have shot both. They are smooth and fast but too noisey for hunting. At least the ones i shot. That may have changed. Its been 4 years or so. Tough to beat a Hoyt or Mathews on that. I have seen some nice PSE bows but the only one i owned came apart after 4 years. Burnt me on them.

16. SilverShooter

SilverShooter TS Member

The top competition bows have different designs/technologies that offset each other but they remain top of the line. For me, this meant having a Mathews Apex 7, a Hoyt UltraElite, and a Bowtech Commander. All excellent bows. Thinking about an Elite....

17. Mark Gadbois

Mark Gadbois Member

Let's add one more to the mix. I have 2 Mission X3 bows. One right-handed and one left-handed. Don't want to have unbalanced arms. I shoot in my basement - about 14 yards. Groupings are generally within a 2" circle. First thing I learned is put 10 2" circles on your foam target. Carbon-fiber arrows are expensive ($10each) and with their accuracy and speed you will break arrows if you shoot several at the same target.

18. Sky Buster

Sky Buster Sky Buster TS Supporters

One cam bows are on life-support.
    All the top end bows from the major makers are now
    hybrid/binary two cam bows. Some still offer one-cam in their
    low end bows. If you doubt me look on-line at Hoyt,
    Bow Tech, Elite, Darton, New Breed, Martin, High Country,
    PSE, G5 etc. Even Matthews had to go to a two cam on their
    Monster bow to get any real speed. The hybrid offers reduced
    cam lean, limb stress and level nock travel. String stretch
    does not affect nock or peep location as it does in a one
    cam bow. If you buy a one-cam bow today, your buying "old
    technolgy".

19. v-strom 650

v-strom 650 Member

I was a pro shop shooter for the last several years, shooting Mathews then switching to Hoyt. Both are good products; well made but with very different feels. I like the Hoyts better for me; better grips and better balanced. Only you can decide which feels better to you. At least with bows it's easier to try before you buy from a shop, as compared to Trap guns! John Terre

20. puablo

puablo Well-Known Member

JR, you're dad is an animal!!!!! I'm glad I ain't an apple sittin on someone's head. Jeff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.