1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Composite Scores

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by James344, May 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. James344

James344 Active Member

I have an issue. I have been keeping track of my son's scores throughout the target year on an Excel spreadsheet. I have accumulated his composite score in two ways. First I have calculated his percentages for each discipline, which is currently 92.31% in singles, 88.50% in caps, and 82.60% in doubles (he had a 70/100 thrown in there so his percentage really tanked). Now, by averaging those three percentages, Excel gives me an overall percentage of 88.14%. However, if I sum all his targets hit and divide that by the sum of targets shot at, I get 2503/2800 which works out to, according to Excel, 89.39%. I realize there is a rounding factor in Excel that I cannot account for. The issue I have is when the OSTA accumulates All-Ohio scores, how do they figure it up? By average of all three percentages or total hits/total shot at?

2. buster's mom

buster's mom Member

My daughter is on the All Ohio team. You add up their final averages in each discipline, and divide it by three. That is how you arrive at the average used for the All Ohio team along with the target, and shooting requirements.

3. Concrete200

Concrete200 Member

Composite Average which is used by the ATA is the average of the 3 averages. Most people shoot more singles than the other 2 events and they tend to have a higher average in singles than the other 2 events. This will always result in a higher "True Average" than the composite average. The reasoning for this is so people will not stop shooting doubles or handicap once they hit their minimum targets while trying to increse their average. Many times people are actually hurting their composite average by doing this.

To give an example...Say a person has the following averages -
    Singles 95 (3000 targets)
    Handicap 90 (2000 targets)
    Doubles 85 (1000 targets)

Thier composite average would be 90.00 and the true average would be 91.67. Now lets say that person shot a 93 in a singles event. Most would think they raised their average since they shot over a 90, but in reality you lowered your composite average because you ever so slightly lowered your singles average which is 1/3 of your composite average.

Now lets flip it around to the mistake most people make. Lets say you go to a doubles marathon and shoot 500 for an average of 89 (445/500). Most again would think they lowered their average since they shot below a 90. Actually they raised their composite average to 90.44 since they raised their doubles average to 86.33.

The key in raising your composite average is to raise your average in your lowest event and not just shoot more singles.

Hope this helps...Dennis

4. Concrete200

Concrete200 Member

Sorry...re-read your post and i don't think I answered your question. The ATA provides each state with a list of its shooters and their composite averages. The states use this (along with target requirements) to figure state teams and other awards. To the best of my knowledge "true averages " are not used.

5. James344

James344 Active Member

Okay, that makes sense. Since my son is struggling the most with doubles, that is the discipline we are trying to raise his average in. It just seemed odd to me, but that explanation makes sense.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.