1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Composite or wood deck boards??

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by likes-to-shoot, Aug 24, 2013.

1. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

Rebuilding the old deck and am considering composite deck boards. I would appreciate any comments on any good or bad experiences with this type of material?

Thanks, Bill

2. gun1357

gun1357 Active Member

Did my daughters deck in Seattle with TREX two years ago. No problems but I would not try to exceed the maximum spacing. Ron

3. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

Composite is soooo expensive. My deck is 900 sq. ft. I built my deck 29 years ago, stained it with oil base stain and replace boards as needed....to rebuild it with plain lumber would be expensive, treated wood...more so...composite....would have to take out a mortgage....

Ron Burr

4. shadow

shadow Active Member

My deck goes down 3 sides of my home. NO WAY I would spend the $ it would take to use composit decking ! The 20 year old cedar boards are doing just fine with a coat of preservative every 3 years.

5. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Sometimes you can lay the composite right on top of the existing boards

You can screw from underneath even if you want- because you are screwing into the boards from below not the joists from above- talk about a time and labor saver-- we did this- we used the very thin solid syn boards

There is also a deck paint now that supposedly holds up for years and smooths out cracks and splinters- I have seen it advertised on TV

Regards from Iowa

Gene

6. ImpalaBob

ImpalaBob Member

They make a much thinner composit "skin" board which can be layed over good wood. The Home Depot Behr deck paint is like a truck bed armor coating which fills in all the cracks and really makes a cool finish that is extremely durable. Composit can also require closer joice spacing than wood.

7. TEXASZEPHYR

TEXASZEPHYR Member

Gonna have to do the same thing soon. I under stand that the best woods for the decking are redwood, cypress, and cedar. Here in Texas all of these woods are very expensive if you can even find them. Cedar is pretty soft and shows wear quickly. I'm probably going back with pressure treated, and let it turn grey with the weathering. Putting up with the green color for a while will just have to be something to put up with. I do stack new pressure treated with spacers and weight on top to let it dry so as to not have to worry bout shrinkage and warping. Be sure to look at the end grain on each board and make sure the grain arcs up(like a rainbow). This will keep the edges from rising with weathering and becoming a tripping hazard. I'm 70 and the pressure treated should out live me.

Bob W

8. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

The spacing might be different but what I did was to center the composite(which I purchased a board with a slighttly narrower profile and thin on top of the existing boards-- works slick

Regards from Iowa

Gene

9. Bvr Tail

Bvr Tail Well-Known Member

Bob W

I also had some warping on my 2X8 step boards, and an old carpenter showed me his fix.

Before installing the step boards, rip two slots in the bottom from end to end about 1/2 inch deep, and put them at the 1/3 and 2/3 measurement of the width.

This will keep them from warping and remain tight when good screws are used.

It works!

10. Bob Schultz

Bob Schultz Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

I did the same thing Bob W. did. We grooved the boards and made sure if there was a curve in the end grain,it faced down so the wood won't "cup". Still looks good after 11 years, pressure wash and seal every 3 years.

We had a deck out back built with synthetic (plastic, I guess...) lumber. It's ok in the summer for my wife's potting bench but in the winter it's really slippery!

Bob Schultz

11. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Used TREX...great stuff..but didn't have a choice in the matter thanks to our HOA

12. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

How long are you planning to live there??? How many years are you really going to using the deck, before you give up grilling and what-have-you??? Good Luck and break em all. Jeff

PS, Oh-Yeh, The pressure treated you buy today is not the same stuff you bought 8 or more years ago. They changed the process. There is now a inside and outside PT, but the outside is not same. Less Chemicals to lower the poison content that escapes when you cut/machine it. The newer stuff takes paint better than the older product. But you must wait 30 days or more before you can do anything to it.

13. mmclain

mmclain TS Member

If I were to build a deck it would be made of Ipe wood it should last a good fifty years...and it is available is decking boards.....

14. magnumshot

magnumshot Active Member

I just got an estimate for a 260sqft TREX rebuild with posts & railing on two sides and four 8' steps, tearing off the existing pressure treated deck and using the old joists. $11,000 from Amazing Decks, and $7,500 from a handiman. Trex is superior to Timbertech the deck company says. 25yr warranty on Trex.

The Behr deck stain peels right off of a problem deck. I had this deck pressure washed twice, with bleach and belt sanding in between. The Behr would not stick to it. It's pressure treated wood from 15 years ago and is still , but looks like hell as nothing sticks to it.

15. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

You want the ARC to curve down to keep edges down the top of the arc is at the top walking surface.

Gary

16. Chichay

Chichay TS Supporters TS Supporters

Had a deck & gazebo built five years ago. Went with composite as I was not thrilled with the maintenance required with wood. Deck is 20X40. Still looks like new. Aside from the increased cost, composite is also much heavier; something to keep in mind if you're rebuilding. Chichay

17. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

I saw a home improvement show this week where they did a deck in a product called Timbersill...special process to cure the wood (spruce)....has the look of cedar. So I looked up a couple of blobs...and some write glowing report and some say they had rot in a year...and it was priced between treated and composite deck wood.

Ron Burr

18. midalake

midalake Well-Known Member

Menards brand Composite decking, you will save lots of $ for more shooting and have a product just as good as the rest!!!! 2yrs old now...looks new.

GS