1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Component question

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by mike T, Dec 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mike T

mike T Member

o.k. I have been reloading off and on since the 1980's. So I am not new to the game.
    Here is my question. I have recently been playing around with 1oz loads for the 16's and 1st doubles shot. Seems to be just fine.
    I use STS hulls.

Question if I keep my loads of Clays or Red Dot in the 17 to 17.5g range what really difference does it make with what ever wad I use?? I know this load is well below any pressure levels. Do some wads pattern better? Do some open the pattern more? Does it really make any difference?
    With out counting holes, I really have not seen much difference in how they break clays.

anyone have any thoughts?

thanks
    mike t

by the way us folk in southeast Iowa have lots of ice on everything

2. ec90t

ec90t Guest

Mike T,

You are apparently one of the lucky ones that still has power!

As far as wads go, I can't see where pressure would be a problem with any of the wads listed for both red dot and clays, especially with 1oz loads.

ec90t

3. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

The major concern I'd suggest about using "any" wad is to be sure to use the appropriate type wad; with tapered hulls use wads designed for tapered hulls - with straight wall hulls use wads designed for straight wall hulls. Other than that, I've experimented enough including the chrono to see very little difference in results with different wads.....Bob Dodd

4. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Bob Dodd has it pretty well covered. I also don't believe the wad you use has any great noticeable effect on your patterns either. I'm sure there are those that will disagree, but I've never been able to substantiate that they do. I do, however, believe that some wads are not prone to working well in cold weather and will, at times, give you "bloopers" when shooting in very cold temperatures. One of the worst that I have experienced are the Winchester orange WT12 wads. These were the one wad that gave me more grief than any other I have ever used. I have tried just about every wad available, at one time or another, and have settled on the original Windjammer wad as my wad of choice. Very economical, easy to find anywhere, and very reliable in any weather I have shot in. Find a wad that suits you, that you have confidence in, and stay with it, and don't give it any more thought...Just my experience....Dan Thome (Trap2)

5. Hipshot 3

Hipshot 3 TS Member

Mike.......I can't much about how other wads work, but I have come to believe in the white Windjammers with the petals attached around the top!

6. FN in MT

FN in MT TS Member

Mike T,

I've been loading STS's with the WW 7/8 oz grey wad, 17.0 of Clays and a WW209 or fiocchi primer, and 7/8 oz of homemade shot supposed to be #8. The shot probably runs from #7-#9 with quite a few teardrop shapes and flat sided examples thrown in. I'm dusting tgts from the 16 yd line, same for the shorter skeet distances in that game.

What I'm getting at is TRY some 7/8 oz loads. You WILL be surprised. Surprised by the extra few boxes from a bag of shot, the lighter recoil and no apparent loss of performance.

FN in MT

7. Questor

Questor TS Member

This is a really interesting question. My friend who got me interested in trap shooting does just that and it works for him. He uses very light loads based on Red Dot. It's obviously working safely for him, but I wonder if his ammo is consistent, and whether it affects the consistency of his point of impact.

I am personally averse to doing it because of what I read in the Lyman Shotshell book #4. I'll paraphrase the first sentence, then the second:
    1) Shotshell reloading isn't like cartridge reloading
    2) You cannot safely substitute any component; use only published recipes and use them exactly.

So I considered it a warning and took it to heart, so I just follow Lyman.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.