1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Component Pricing curiousity

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Inspector 12, Jan 31, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Inspector 12

Inspector 12 TS Member

H all, trying to determine what some components may be worth. I was recently offered the chance to purchase some items and want to determine what pricing might be fair.

Paper hulls, a large number of Federal and Winchester paper hulls.

Winchester AA hulls, I believe these would be the "old style" hulls.

Paper hull conditioner (heated "sizer" deprimer for paper hulls).

Federal 209 primers, seems like these are more expensive than Fiochi or Cheddite?

Powder, there is an eight pound container of Blue Dot, 700x and Red Dot.

Wads, a couple of cases (5000) wads for paper hulls and Winchester AA (I am guessing these to be the old style AA hulls?).

Ponsness Warren 800b progressive reloader.

There is another progessive reloader that is Blue in color that is set up to load the paper hulls. The loader is believed to be 50 years old, it does not appear to be a Pacific brand but I don't recall the make.

2. APrice

APrice Active Member

Without quantities you can't get an estimate of value. That said, it sounds like an assortment of goodies I'd offer $300-$400 for.

3. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Some rough estimates:

Fed Paper hulls -.05/ea.<br>
    Old Style Win hulls- .05/ea.<br>
    Hull conditioner- $20-$50<br>
    Fed primers - $30/1000<br>
    8lb powders- $100-$120/ea.<br>
    Wads- $50-$80/cs of 5000<br>
    PW-$200-$300

4. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

I suppose the age of the components should be taken into consideration... old powder and wads are "old" powder and wads... I can't speak for the "papers" or the PW, but we regularly get folks inquirying about cleaning out old components...recently one of guys had an estate sale out the back of his SUV...

Lead in bulk $25/25#
    Primers $25/1000
    Wads $8-10/1K
    Powder $8/1#
    All the STS/AAs/Premiers - once fired... $30-35/1000

Not cheap, but not giving it away either... both sides have to bring fairness to the transaction...

5. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

Spitter has the component prices about right. The PW reloader is an older version, and harder to get parts for, if anything breaks, $200 tops. $50 for the other reloader, if you want to mess with it. Mark

6. Inspector 12

Inspector 12 TS Member

Interesting to see and hear some of the responses on this topic. While the components do have some age, it is all good stuff. I will help her get decent pricing for her stuff. Here in the west components are getting harder to find let alone at good prices.

For those that suggesting low ball offers, I hope your loved ones don't have to endure approaches suggesting your treasures are not worth what you paid for it...

7. kenf

kenf Active Member

If the powder was sealed, it would likely be alright- even though it is in the old cardboard kegs. I don't know how long it has been since Blue Dot was sold in 8# kegs.

The blue press sounds like an old Bair- but without pics it would be hard to tell the model.

8. Oregunner

Most of my treasures are not worth what I paid for them. Now the story has gone from buying it yourself to helping the poor widow woman sell her late husband's estate so she can buy food. If you want to buy/sell at sympathy prices, get whatever you can, and throw in an extra few bucks. When I go to a garage sale, I don't expect to pay retail, even if the stuff is brand new. The right price is what the seller and buyer agreed on. Selling during a buying frenzy works for the seller. Mark

9. Nebs

Nebs Well-Known Member

PM Sent.

10. himark

himark Well-Known Member

Grtn has it bout right IMO. As for my loved ones my wife is constantly taking inventory of what I have and what its worth.. I think she is up to something???:)

11. Inspector 12

Inspector 12 TS Member

Oregunner / Mark, never stated it like you suggest. Never said it was a poor widow / charity case. I didn't mis-represent anything from the beginning, I said I was trying to establish fair value. Again I thank those that offered information. I just stated that some was better than others and some responses very self serving. Just calling it like I see it.

To those who have messaged interest, I will be meeting with the lady in question (actually a daughter not widow) Saturday and will determine what she wants to do.

12. 1oldtimer

1oldtimer TS Member

Old plastic wads become brittle and are not useable. I found out the hard way,
    Clyde

13. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Of the Federal primers are original and not 209 A's, I would have an interest

Martin Wilbur

PS i don't think the super target papers will sell but might be surprised.

14. Oregunner

I will admit to some exaggeration. First you asked for suggestions of fair market value, then you chastised those that gave you an opinion. The old saying goes, "Most people don't want advice, even when they ask for it". Oh well. Pay what you feel good about paying. Mark

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.