1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Completed Career: Ronald W. Wilson

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by TM1, Sep 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TM1

TM1 Member

Ronald W. Wilson of Ponca City Oklahoma passes away Sept. 5, 2008, ten days short of his 72nd birthday in New Port Richey FL.
    Ron was an OTA and ATA life member. He shot his first registered trap in 1967. He made the Oklahoma men's state team for the first time in 1974 and again in 1981 and for the next 18 years in a row.
    Ron's first big handicap win came in 1970 at the Oklahoma State Shoot for the Leigh Hall-Frank Trophy Ron not only was champion, but retired the trophy to the Trapshooting Hall of Fame.
    He first made the 27 yard line in 1974 at the Old Wichita Gun Club during the Great Western Prairie Handicap Championship where he won runner-up handicap champ with a 97 from the 26 yard line. That year he was the long yardage handicap champ for the Lonestar Handicap at the Texas State Shoot.
    In 1993 he won HOA at the Missouri Fall Handicap. This was just one of many wins in Missouri. In 1994 Ron won long yardage handicap champ at the Spring Grand in Phoenix AZ. In 1996 Ron was the Oklahoma State Singles Champ and HOA. Ron was RU champ in singles in 1986 and 1998. At the 2002 Colorado State Shoot Ron was the Vet OS singles,doubles and HAA champ, as well as OS handicap champion. Ron was a three time class winner at the Kinsley Grand in Kinsley KS. Ron won his Grand American trophy in 2004 as the Parliament Coach vet handicap champion. Ron won many other events too numerous to list during his career of 40 plus years.
    Ron gave back to the sport he loved by serving as OTA director for several years and serving as OTA president for two years.
    Ron was inducted into the Oklahoma State Trapshooters Hall of Fame in July of 1998. During his career he shot 89,275 singles, 73,500 handicap, and 56,000 doubles targets. He was well on his way to his Grand Slam. He shot his first 100 strait in doubles in 1993 and his first 100 straight from the 27 yard line in 1994. Ron broke many 199's in singles however, his health failed before he was able to score the 200.

As much as Ron loved trapshooting, he loved hunting even more. he began hunting at an early age with a single shot .410 graduating to a Browning A 5. Ron was an avid bird hunter (at times getting 5 quail on a rise) as well as a great trainer of bird dogs. He also hunted elk, mule deer and white tail deer. He even shot and emu once! During his white tail deer hunting career he shot 198 of which many were of trophy standard. One of the heads earned a Cy Curtis award.
    Ron retired in 1993 from Conoco after a 38 year career culminating as power division superintendent.

Ron is survived by his soulmate of 12 years, Connie, also a trapshooter. His son, Mark, daughter, Marjie and two grandchildren, his one and only cat, Kaiko and too many friends and relatives to mention. He will be greatly missed

2. TM1

TM1 Member

<a href="http://s153.photobucket.com/albums/s231/K9I449/?action=view&current=RONWILSON037.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

3. TM1

TM1 Member

My Life with Ronnie Wilson

Where to start, I guess the beginning, my Daddy, George Roby and Ronnie’ s Dad, Cody Wilson worked together in C&P Unit at the Conoco Refinery for many years.

I remember the first time that I really met Ronnie. It was a Sunday afternoon at the VFW trapshoot. I was about 16, Ronnie was shooting a Remington 1100 with a George Taylor roll over stock, and of course a release trigger, I was shooting Browning A5 20ga, that I had gotten for Xmas. We shot a protection together, and we won. First of many to wins over next 36 years .

Then I started shooting more, so on Sept 1, 1973, Ronnie took me to my first ATA shoot in Tonkawa, OK. That started a very long trapshooting road, with Ronnie and I. Several shoots in OK, KS, NM, TX and of course THE GRAND.

What fun we’d have at THE GRAND, getting up early to go beat old TONY for those hulls. Ronnie would pay and I would carry, we had it down pretty good. Then on the last day of the GRAND, trying to put 100 plus target boxes of hulls in the 5th wheel . But Ms. Connie would always get them in there. Then Ron would say I wish I would have gotten more.

This along with the FISH FYES and Uncle Eddie’s ice cream made THE GRAND the best. The last GRAND at Vandalia, that Ronnie got to shoot in was in 2004, where he got is GRAND trophy, Veteran Champion in the Parliament Coach Handicap with a score of 98x100, with no shoot-off. And of course Ronnie, Ronnie being Ronnie, told Ms Connie when asked “ How you do?“ Ronnie said that he shot “OK.”

This year at the OK State Shoot, Ronnie and Connie, as always went the extra mile for family. Ronnie couldn’t shoot but he was there when I shot and broke my 50,000 Singles target. Ms. Connie and KAIKO did the cake. Those memories and pictures can never be replaced. Another thing, was during the time that I was home in May, Ronnie and I made one last run on the GRASSFIELD in the RHINO. Little did I or anyone know it was Ronnie’s last time on his GRASSFIELD that he loved so much. I thank GOD for that time.

Beside trapshooting, Ronnie taught me lots of things. Some things, we can not talk about because I don’t know the statue of limitations on game violations. He taught me how to seine minnows in the rivers and creeks of western Oklahoma. How to put dog boots on, at the Little Sahara rest stop, before going out, to shoot one limit of quail, at HAUB‘s, but we never got our limit.

How to hunt the GRASSFIELD on the machines with HUNTER, WILSON, RAMBO and MICHAEA in front of THE BOSS on his six wheeler.

Or how to make a Holy Roller almost cuss, by taking off with his four wheelers, then when he calls you on the phone asking about them, tell him I don’t know what happen to them, Doug.

Or how to hand a guy a empty gun while shooting pigeons in El Paso, TX feed yard.

But the greatest thing, Ronnie taught me was: no matter what happens in your life good or bad, “You’ve got to keep stroking BOY!” And Ronnie showed this like always with his fight against the cancer, he never gave up. Till Ms Connie told him “It’s OK, Honey.”

These are just a few of the things that as happened down life’s road with Ronnie. That road has not stopped, because of death. Ronnie had to take a new and higher road. Now, there are no more bad pulls, no more windy targets, all the targets are 2 hole targets, good background, there lots of moisture on the ground for the dogs to smell, that big buck is looking the other way, and the rivers are bank to bank full of minnows. Last and the most important the Game Warden is home.

JOE ROBY
    ATA Life Member #41-07750

4. bcnu

bcnu Active Member

Another great loss to the shooting family. He will be missed by many more than can be counted. My sympathy goes out to all those that he touched on his pathway through life and his family. John

5. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

That was a beautiful tribute. Prayers for peace are going out to the Wilson family.

6. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

I've always said the finest folks I know I've met on TS.com....Mr. Wilson is one I would have loved getting to know so much earlier than now...My wishes for healing and condolences to all his family and friends

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.