1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Competition factory loads

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Blueraven81, Mar 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blueraven81

Blueraven81 TS Member

OK, my Boys are starting to do well shooting Trap and they are getting to the point where-as they are averaging 45+ at 16. At handicap they are still struggling but they don't have much "butt" time at 23+ yards so I'm expecting them to improve in time.

Up until now they have been shooting my reloads; #8, 1 1/8, ~1180fps.
    My problem is I don't want either of my Boys to lose a shoot or miss a 50 straight due to my reloads. Also I'm tired of the nervousness on whether or not the next shot will be a dud due to my fault.

Is it time for them to switch to factory loads for competition?

Cabela's currently has AAs on sale for $80 a flat. That's quite a bit more expensive than my reloads, however I see many solid shooters using them.

The question, what AAs should they be shooting and should the load be different at 22+ yards?

I've read many experienced shooters preferring #8 shot around 1200fps at 16 and 7 1/2 shot at a higher fps for 22+ yards.

My thought is for 16s, AAs 1 1/8, #8, 1200 fps, and 22+ AAs 1 1/8, #7.5, 1300fps.

What's your opinion on which loads at 16 and 22+ yards should be used?

Thanks,
    Craig

2. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

What type of gun are they using? HMB

3. Hitapair

Hitapair Active Member

You must have a lot of money to burn if you are going to buy new premium shells because your reloads may cause a loss. They get 2 FTF per each 25 target sub event. If you reloads are so bad that they need more than 2 FTF per subevent, I'd suggest you figure out why you have such poor reloads. If its your equipment, buy a new reloader or get the old one factory refurbished. Don't buy cheap primers either.

1 oz loads are all they need for 16's. Why subject them to the punishment of the heavier reloads? You'll be buying them release triggers when they start flinching. Likewise w/ the heavy handicap loads that you are contemplating.
    A standard 3dr load is more than enough for mid yardage caps shooter. Those 1300 fps caps loads will really pound on your sons.

4. V10

V10 Well-Known Member

Light shells (1145 fps, 2-3/4 dram equivalent) in either 7-1/2 or 8.

Those will work well for either singles or handicap.

Estates, Top Guns, Gun Clubs, etc., will do just fine (at $60/flat).

There's no need to shoot AAs or other "premium" shells unless you just absolutely want to use them.

5. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Your reloads are fine. If they miss, it ain't the shells.

6. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

I personally like 2 3/4 dram #8s for 16s and 3 dram 7.5s for Hdcp. 1200fps

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

7. oskerspap12

oskerspap12 Active Member

You'll be fine with 2 3/4 dram loads(1180-1200fps)from the 16,and the 22 shouldn't be a issue either with the same load.

As stated previously "I would figure out why your reloads suck,and get new loading gear,or factory refurbished equiptment" sort of a quote.....kinda,well you know what I mean.

Also stated.......don't punish your kids with extra recoil when...#1.it isn't necessary in the first place,and .....#2.You'll be buying new triggers before you know it,if you do go with the heavier loads.

Those 2 3/4 8s will smoke 'em out to the 23,and further if your sons do their part correctly.

D.P.Reynolds

8. Blueraven81

Blueraven81 TS Member

Well so far it sounds like I should keep doing what I'm doing and not worry about switching over to factory loads.

To answer some questions:

"hmb"- SKB 85TSS unsingle and BT-99 with both 34"

"hitapar"- In 4 years of reloading for my Boys I don't believe they have ever lost a bird due to my reloads, however now that they are getting so much better, I don't want it to happen now. I don't have a lot of money to burn however my reloads are costing about $46.50 per flat and the AAs are $80 a flat. My Boys have 6 more shoots which equal 1200 more competition rounds. That computes to about $85 each or $14 more per shoot for AAs vs. my reloads. How many shooters out there who have shot a 49/50 would gladly pay $14 for that 50th dead bird? I bet everyone of them. As for punishment, the SKB and BT-99 shoot very gently and both of my Boys being 200+ .lbs have no problem with shooting 50 at a time. I don't think bumping the fps by 100 will have that much physical effect on them.

All that being said I don't want to spend more money or put more punishment on my Boys or their guns, that's why I submitted this post because I value most you guy's opinions.

Thanks,
    Craig

9. Hammer1

Hammer1 Active Member

For the what little it's worth department...

Winchester makes a very light recoil load of 26 grams of #8 shot (about 9/10 ounce) at 980 feet per second. You can barely hear it go "pop". They charge more for it than they do their full power loads.

From the 16 yard line with a Full choke, I get the same scores with this extra light load as I do with factory 1-1/8 ounce loads of #8 shot at 1200 fps.

10. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Craig, as long as you are using quality components, not trying to 'squeeze' 8 or 9 out of a hull, you're paying attention to the details, you are already shooting a premium quality shell that probably exceeds what you would buy!

Jim

11. bkt514

bkt514 Active Member

I like the 1 oz. load of #8's, between 1150 and 1185 FPS for 16 to 22 yard. As they improve and get back to the 27 yard line, the 1 1/8 oz load (3 dram)might be more appropriate! Lots of shooters at the 27 with a fast 1 oz. load!

12. bigben

bigben Active Member

Blue Raven, your boys both have good guns, the fact that they are shooting less than stellar handicapis due to too impacts, keep everything the same and add a 1/16 washer to the comb, no adjustable comb? get some Dr. Scholls moleskin, cut a 1 inch wide pc., stick it on the comb, ;a little rubbing alcohol with clean the face oils of prior to adding the moleskin, the shooting will get better quick, then add another 1/16 th until the handicap targets are hit like the 16's. incinerate em!

13. Sam (ATA Noobie)

Sam (ATA Noobie) Member

I'm going to throw this out there...

If your boys ar eboth 200+ lbs, I'm guessing they're old enough to reload their own shells ;)

I know I loaded my own as a Jr. Shooter and just paid EXTRA special attention to my competition reloads. I pulled anything that felt/looked funny and weighed charges, etc. Pulled odd crimps, etc.

14. Blueraven81

Blueraven81 TS Member

Bigben; they both have adjustable combs. Perhaps I'll try your advice at the next practice.

Sam; both my Boys are only 9 and 10 years old. I'm just kidding they are 16 and 17:). I do the reloading because I enjoy it, I have the time, and I'm a lot more attentive to what I'm doing than 16 and 17 year old teens are. I have no doubt that they could load their own shells and they have in the past. I do have them perform a final inspection prior to boxing the shells up. Of course none ever fail their inspection because I scrutinize every shell my MEC 9000 throws out and those that aren't perfect go into the trap "fun" bin that we use just to punch holes in the sky.

15. Redcobra

Redcobra Active Member

At our club, 1200fps is the max allowed.

16. MDMike

MDMike Well-Known Member

I shoot 1 1/8 oz. of 7 1/2's at handicap going according to Hodgden about 1235-1250 fps. I shoot 1 oz. of 7 1/2's at 16 yds at about the same speed. (Yes, I know, I'll be flinching and raising my head before my time).I "roll my own" for the most part, using STS's and Nitro 27's only when the need arises. Now, as far as "duds", this weekend I experenced my first FTF in 25 years of reloading (yea, I must lead a charmed life). That's one FTF in about 200,000+ shells using WW primers. I'm not about to change things up. I can't say the same thing for Remington factory fodder. But I use it anyhow.

17. bigben

bigben Active Member

Blue raven, that's a great start! making sure the guns are unloaded, and facing you have each boy close his eyes, mount the gun where it feels right and firmly on the stock, then open them, as you look at him, the pupil of his eye must be in the dead center of the rib and you should see clearly his pupil, if not and the rib obscures his pupil, the gun is too low! Raven, guns are different, sons are different, pupils are seldom at the same height on person to person, including siblings! Adjust each so there is about a bead thickness of space between the beads, that ill be a good starting point, and the pupil must be in the middle, if not, move comb left or right until it is, your sons now will be well on their ways to great scores! incinerate em!

18. minnship8

minnship8 Well-Known Member

I don't get why they are shooting handicap from the 23. They are only averaging 45+ from the 16. Wouldn't they only be at the 18?

Regards,
    Chip

19. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Your handload recipie is about perfect. But if you rather not mess with it then try some Estate or Top Gun 2 3/4 dram x 1 1/8 Oz shells. They will absolutley smoke targets all the way back to the 27 and for a price that isn't much higher than your reloading cost.

The higher buck shells absolutely will not put more x's on the score sheet and this is not a current factor in your boy's performance. More range time and plenty of ammo is the best way to improve.

This is not the time to put the notion that their ammo isn't good enough into their head.

20. Blueraven81

Blueraven81 TS Member

minnship8- I'm not sure how handicap yardage is computed by ATA rules I'm not a trap shooter, however as much as I've learn and as much money I have into trap shooting, perhaps I should be :)

For High School shooters here in Nebraska, the handicap yardage is 1/2 your score at 16. For example a 46/50 at 16 means your handicap is at 23 yards. There are no 1/2 yardages, so a 45/50 also means your handicap yardage is 23 yards. If the shooter was to shoot a 39/50 or 40/50 then they would shoot handicap at the 20 yard mark.

The morning of competition, all shooters shoot at the 16 yard mark. Their results dictate what yardage they will shoot handicap at in the afternoon.

Craig

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.