1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Competition changes?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Pointer, Oct 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pointer

Pointer TS Member

For those that want change 'for the good of the sport' when you are shooting consistant high scores from the 27 ...then.. I'd love to read your suggestions..really I would.

Go watch a childrens gymnastics event. See if the kids are asking to raise or lower the bar. "the other kid is bigger,and she got a free Leotard" ...8 year old girls have more B...s than that.

NOTHING is blocking your view of the targets. Shoot 100 from the 27 and take the money or shut the hell up.

amazing

2. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

So tell us when did you shoot your 100 from the 27????

Bob Lawless

3. Pointer

Pointer TS Member

Bob,

I have not shot a 100 from the 27. I'm also not posting how we should change the rules, or how we should push the best shooters into a pro class or the 30 yard line.

4. ivanhoe

Well I don't want to see the top shooters go in a pro class. I see some rules that need changing. As far as the 30 yard line is concerned if I had my way they wouldn't be pushed there either.

The back fence would be moved to at least the 30 and they would do all the moving on their own.

The reason for my original question is if no one that hasn't shot a 100 from the 27 can decide what effects them. Then no one that hasn't revealed his shooting averages or yardage. Should be telling the others about what is right or wrong for the game. Or their thoughts on the game for that matter.

This example should tell you already so I shouldn't have to.

"Go watch a childrens gymnastics event. See if the kids are asking to raise or lower the bar."

So tell us how many children are sent to gymnastics and get to learn it all on their own???? Yet almost every trapshooter that starts this game is just that on their own.

Some of the big guns have been at 27yds for 30 or more years. They get to practice the same angles, leads, and what ever else is needed. Form the same distance target after target year after year. Then after they have been there for some years the target presentation was made easier to boot.

New shooter starts at twenty and every yard he earns he must learn different leads and gun movements all over again. With the scores that are being shot today he needs to shoot a 96 just to get yardage. With the 27yd shooter dominating the handicap and shooting 99 and 100 how long will it take for that new shooter just to get to 27.

Using your advice of shooting "consistent high scores from the 27" before he has any control over the rule he shoots by. Some how it just doesn't seem fair or rewarding. It could take 10 to 15 years that is unless you stay at the home club and shoot the small shoots. If you shoot only the bigger shoots it could take quite a while. So I guess we all should just,

"Shoot 100 from the 27 and take the money or shut the hell up."

Fair again I suppose? Well when you are shooting at 20 and you shoot a 100 you get dam little for it. Oh ya you do get at least 1 1/2 yards. Big Jim 27yd shooter get money and trophies and accolades, Oh ya no yardages as a matter of fact he gets no yardage ever from 27. Which means he is right back there practicing that same yardage still. Mr. 20 get for a 100 a minimum of 1 1/2 yards he could get more depending on the number of shooters in the event.

Yet Mr. 20 shouldn't say anything and what he** he is the one getting the yards and the guy who isn't according to your reasoning is the only one that should say anything at all about the rules. Fair and equitable all the way around. RIGHT!!!!!

I don't mean this to be nasty but god all mighty please tell me who deserves that much respect when it comes to making all the decisions. Why does where they stand to shoot qualify them to see the fairness in the system, please tell me.

Bob Lawless

5. scott calhoun

scott calhoun Well-Known Member

Bob -

Are you saying that if you stand at the same yardage long enough it will become easy?

"Some of the big guns have been at 27yds for 30 or more years. They get to practice the same angles, leads, and what ever else is needed. Form the same distance target after target year after year. Then after they have been there for some years the target presentation was made easier to boot"

Explain why most people can't maintain a 16-yard average that would win a handciap event? They have been shooting the same angles, leads, and whatever else is needed. From the same distance target after target, year after year.

Scott

6. ivanhoe

Well Scott the big gun aren't most people now are they. They have already displayed the ability to get to 27 and stay there.

On the other hand at the rate the 27yd shooters gobble up all the yardage at most of the major tournaments even those that can't win enough yardage to go anywhere except forward.

As far as 16 yard averages is concerned I know shooters that are at 25-27 that shoot in B class or below. Some people just can't shoot singles. As an example try the link above and read what this guy has to say.

Bob Lawless

7. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

"For those that want change 'for the good of the sport' when you are shooting consistent high scores from the 27 ...then.. I'd love to read your suggestions..really I would."

Pointer, if you'd like some real first hand information concerning your post from a qualified 27 yard shooter, may I suggest you give Phil Kiner a call? Phil being one of the best trapshooters of all time, I'd think, his thoughts on this matter would carry enough weight to satisfy your curiosities? He won't mince words and it wouldn't take long either. You'd get first hand information instead of word smithing manipulation from wannabee long yardage shooters struggling to stay afloat under the current settings. Hearing words is better than reading, sometimes, depending on what tickles your ears or if finding the truth matters.

Hap

8. Pointer

Pointer TS Member

We already have classes from D to AAA, we have JR and sub JR events, vet, SR vet, Women. We have options so people who are not at the top of the game can still win money, gifts etc. The primary money event is (handicap'd)The money has been split way down to try to keep people in the game. We have 'yardage reductions' for crap sake! What other pro competition sport has all that? And yes, when the money is on the table you are a pro. Short of hosting an (everyone wins event) like Boys and Girls club the associations have done about every thing they can to keep people in this game yet it's still not fair? Most of the change suggestions on this site are a clear attempt to get the best shooters out of the money simple as that. This is COMPETITION, We are lucky that the associations have worked so hard to give everyone a chance to win. Name another competition sport where you can stink the place up and walk away with money from a lucky lewis hit, or a luck of the draw? We have it VERY good in this sport, yet we still complain. I have not shot a lot of ATA..I'm in PITA land, but looking at the photo of the shooters in the 100K shootoff it sure looked to me like the sport has done an amazing job to make it fair and inclusive to all. We had a 14 year old kid standing up with the best in the world..how amazing is that?

I shoot from the 27, I play the options, and I got my rump handed to me this year. I have no desire to further handicap the winners, or modify the game to help me. They worked harder, focused better and beat me on as level a playing field as anyone could hope for.

Honestly I'm a bit ashamed I let myself get sucked into this, and I did come out very harsh. I apol but reading all those post for so long got my Irish up...I apologize to any offended, and shall get off the soap box now.

9. IndyShotgun

IndyShotgun TS Member

"Most of the change suggestions on this site are a clear attempt to get the best shooters out of the money simple as that."

And simply wrong.

Most of the changes proposed here in the past few weeks are to get pros into events with plenty of money and with no upside limitation to the amount of money they can earn.

10. no5shooter

no5shooter Member

Forget "changing the rules" to create new classes and add yardage. Put the damn peg back in the damn #3 hole where it belongs and let's see where we are then. Buncha sissy crybabies, you'd think this was a skeet forum!

11. oskerspap12

oskerspap12 Active Member

We should have an E class........now that would really seperate the men from the boys.........BTW,I'd probably be the first E Class Singles Champion shootin' a cool 88...........Come on boys the beers are on me.....I just won me a championship.
    Y'all have a great day,and Smoke 'em all

D.P.Reynolds

12. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Got 3 yards this year, but I've been on the 27 for about 15 years. Is it "easy" for me? Hell no.

Practice, practice, practice.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.